netdev.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
* Stable request: iwlwifi: mvm: don't send RFH_QUEUE_CONFIG_CMD with no queues
@ 2021-02-07 14:19 Jason Andryuk
From: Jason Andryuk @ 2021-02-07 14:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: stable, Luca Coelho, Kalle Valo; +Cc: netdev

Hi,

commit 64f55156f7adedb1ac5bb9cdbcbc9ac05ff5a724 upstream

The requested patch allows the iwlwifi driver to work with newer AX200
wifi cards when MSI-X interrupts are not available.  Without it,
bringing an interface "up" fails with a Microcode SW error.  Xen PCI
passthrough with a linux stubdom doesn't enable MSI-X which triggers
this condition.

I think it's only applicable to 5.4 because it's in 5.10 and earlier
kernels don't have AX200 support.

I'm making this request to stable and CC-ing netdev since I saw a
message [1] on netdev saying:
"""
We're actually experimenting with letting Greg take networking patches
into stable like he does for every other tree. If the patch doesn't
appear in the next stable release please poke stable@ directly.
"""

Thanks,
Jason

[1] https://lore.kernel.org/netdev/20210129193030.46ef3b17@kicinski-fedora-pc1c0hjn.dhcp.thefacebook.com/

* Re: Stable request: iwlwifi: mvm: don't send RFH_QUEUE_CONFIG_CMD with no queues
@ 2021-02-08 12:38 ` Greg KH
From: Greg KH @ 2021-02-08 12:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jason Andryuk; +Cc: stable, Luca Coelho, Kalle Valo, netdev

On Sun, Feb 07, 2021 at 09:19:07AM -0500, Jason Andryuk wrote:
> Hi,
>
> commit 64f55156f7adedb1ac5bb9cdbcbc9ac05ff5a724 upstream
>
> The requested patch allows the iwlwifi driver to work with newer AX200
> wifi cards when MSI-X interrupts are not available.  Without it,
> bringing an interface "up" fails with a Microcode SW error.  Xen PCI
> passthrough with a linux stubdom doesn't enable MSI-X which triggers
> this condition.
>
> I think it's only applicable to 5.4 because it's in 5.10 and earlier
> kernels don't have AX200 support.
>
> I'm making this request to stable and CC-ing netdev since I saw a
> message [1] on netdev saying:
> """
> We're actually experimenting with letting Greg take networking patches
> into stable like he does for every other tree. If the patch doesn't
> appear in the next stable release please poke stable@ directly.
> """
>
> Thanks,
> Jason