netdev.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
* Alcatel X220S HSDPA modem
@ 2013-08-03 23:59 Enrico Mioso
From: Enrico Mioso @ 2013-08-03 23:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: netdev, linux-usb

Hello everybody!
I'm going to investigate a little bit on an obscure Alcatel device - the
Alcatel X220s, manifactured by TCT Mobile Phones.

It supports a NDIS network interface, as you will be able to discover looking
at the driver package, still: don't know what's the protocol used.
At a first glance, I would just like to avoid option.ko binding to non-serial
interface as it happens now. So I would appreciate it a lot if you help me
distinguish non-serial interfaces from serial ones, looking at this lsusb
listing and the driver package (see link below).

Another strange thing is - the device interface referred as the WAN one is "06"
but here we ave from 0 to 5 interfaces!
Looking at this msdn article, it seems Windows does no elaboration regarding
the InterfaceNumber field. So - am I missing an interface or does Windows start
numbering interfaces from 1?

Driver package link:
http://www.gstorm.eu/dgm/alcdrv.tar.xz
(I simply decompressed the Innosetup installer to let you browse these files
with no major issues!)

Any help and documentation would be greatly apreciated!!

Bus 001 Device 002: ID 1bbb:0017 T & A Mobile Phones
Device Descriptor:
   bLength                18
   bDescriptorType         1
   bcdUSB               2.00
   bDeviceSubClass         0
   bDeviceProtocol         0
   bMaxPacketSize0        64
   idVendor           0x1bbb T & A Mobile Phones
   idProduct          0x0017
   bcdDevice            0.00
   iManufacturer           3 USBModem
   iProduct                2 HSPA Data Card
   iSerial                 4 1234567890ABCDEF
   bNumConfigurations      1
   Configuration Descriptor:
     bLength                 9
     bDescriptorType         2
     wTotalLength          154
     bNumInterfaces          6
     bConfigurationValue     1
     iConfiguration          1 USBModem Configuration
     bmAttributes         0xa0
       (Bus Powered)
       Remote Wakeup
     MaxPower              500mA
     Interface Descriptor:
       bLength                 9
       bDescriptorType         4
       bInterfaceNumber        0
       bAlternateSetting       0
       bNumEndpoints           2
       bInterfaceClass       255 Vendor Specific Class
       bInterfaceSubClass    255 Vendor Specific Subclass
       bInterfaceProtocol    255 Vendor Specific Protocol
       iInterface              0
       Endpoint Descriptor:
         bLength                 7
         bDescriptorType         5
         bEndpointAddress     0x81  EP 1 IN
         bmAttributes            2
           Transfer Type            Bulk
           Synch Type               None
           Usage Type               Data
         wMaxPacketSize     0x0200  1x 512 bytes
         bInterval              32
       Endpoint Descriptor:
         bLength                 7
         bDescriptorType         5
         bEndpointAddress     0x01  EP 1 OUT
         bmAttributes            2
           Transfer Type            Bulk
           Synch Type               None
           Usage Type               Data
         wMaxPacketSize     0x0200  1x 512 bytes
         bInterval              32
     Interface Descriptor:
       bLength                 9
       bDescriptorType         4
       bInterfaceNumber        1
       bAlternateSetting       0
       bNumEndpoints           2
       bInterfaceClass       255 Vendor Specific Class
       bInterfaceSubClass    255 Vendor Specific Subclass
       bInterfaceProtocol    255 Vendor Specific Protocol
       iInterface              0
       Endpoint Descriptor:
         bLength                 7
         bDescriptorType         5
         bEndpointAddress     0x82  EP 2 IN
         bmAttributes            2
           Transfer Type            Bulk
           Synch Type               None
           Usage Type               Data
         wMaxPacketSize     0x0200  1x 512 bytes
         bInterval              32
       Endpoint Descriptor:
         bLength                 7
         bDescriptorType         5
         bEndpointAddress     0x02  EP 2 OUT
         bmAttributes            2
           Transfer Type            Bulk
           Synch Type               None
           Usage Type               Data
         wMaxPacketSize     0x0200  1x 512 bytes
         bInterval              32
     Interface Descriptor:
       bLength                 9
       bDescriptorType         4
       bInterfaceNumber        2
       bAlternateSetting       0
       bNumEndpoints           2
       bInterfaceClass       255 Vendor Specific Class
       bInterfaceSubClass    255 Vendor Specific Subclass
       bInterfaceProtocol    255 Vendor Specific Protocol
       iInterface              0
       Endpoint Descriptor:
         bLength                 7
         bDescriptorType         5
         bEndpointAddress     0x83  EP 3 IN
         bmAttributes            2
           Transfer Type            Bulk
           Synch Type               None
           Usage Type               Data
         wMaxPacketSize     0x0200  1x 512 bytes
         bInterval              32
       Endpoint Descriptor:
         bLength                 7
         bDescriptorType         5
         bEndpointAddress     0x03  EP 3 OUT
         bmAttributes            2
           Transfer Type            Bulk
           Synch Type               None
           Usage Type               Data
         wMaxPacketSize     0x0200  1x 512 bytes
         bInterval              32
     Interface Descriptor:
       bLength                 9
       bDescriptorType         4
       bInterfaceNumber        3
       bAlternateSetting       0
       bNumEndpoints           2
       bInterfaceClass       255 Vendor Specific Class
       bInterfaceSubClass    255 Vendor Specific Subclass
       bInterfaceProtocol    255 Vendor Specific Protocol
       iInterface              0
       Endpoint Descriptor:
         bLength                 7
         bDescriptorType         5
         bEndpointAddress     0x84  EP 4 IN
         bmAttributes            2
           Transfer Type            Bulk
           Synch Type               None
           Usage Type               Data
         wMaxPacketSize     0x0200  1x 512 bytes
         bInterval              32
       Endpoint Descriptor:
         bLength                 7
         bDescriptorType         5
         bEndpointAddress     0x04  EP 4 OUT
         bmAttributes            2
           Transfer Type            Bulk
           Synch Type               None
           Usage Type               Data
         wMaxPacketSize     0x0200  1x 512 bytes
         bInterval              32
     Interface Descriptor:
       bLength                 9
       bDescriptorType         4
       bInterfaceNumber        4
       bAlternateSetting       0
       bNumEndpoints           2
       bInterfaceClass         8 Mass Storage
       bInterfaceSubClass      6 SCSI
       bInterfaceProtocol     80 Bulk-Only
       iInterface              0
       Endpoint Descriptor:
         bLength                 7
         bDescriptorType         5
         bEndpointAddress     0x05  EP 5 OUT
         bmAttributes            2
           Transfer Type            Bulk
           Synch Type               None
           Usage Type               Data
         wMaxPacketSize     0x0200  1x 512 bytes
         bInterval               0
       Endpoint Descriptor:
         bLength                 7
         bDescriptorType         5
         bEndpointAddress     0x85  EP 5 IN
         bmAttributes            2
           Transfer Type            Bulk
           Synch Type               None
           Usage Type               Data
         wMaxPacketSize     0x0200  1x 512 bytes
         bInterval               0
     Interface Descriptor:
       bLength                 9
       bDescriptorType         4
       bInterfaceNumber        5
       bAlternateSetting       0
       bNumEndpoints           3
       bInterfaceClass       255 Vendor Specific Class
       bInterfaceSubClass    255 Vendor Specific Subclass
       bInterfaceProtocol    255 Vendor Specific Protocol
       iInterface              0
       Endpoint Descriptor:
         bLength                 7
         bDescriptorType         5
         bEndpointAddress     0x86  EP 6 IN
         bmAttributes            3
           Transfer Type            Interrupt
           Synch Type               None
           Usage Type               Data
         wMaxPacketSize     0x0040  1x 64 bytes
         bInterval               5
       Endpoint Descriptor:
         bLength                 7
         bDescriptorType         5
         bEndpointAddress     0x87  EP 7 IN
         bmAttributes            2
           Transfer Type            Bulk
           Synch Type               None
           Usage Type               Data
         wMaxPacketSize     0x0200  1x 512 bytes
         bInterval              32
       Endpoint Descriptor:
         bLength                 7
         bDescriptorType         5
         bEndpointAddress     0x06  EP 6 OUT
         bmAttributes            2
           Transfer Type            Bulk
           Synch Type               None
           Usage Type               Data
         wMaxPacketSize     0x0200  1x 512 bytes
         bInterval              32
Device Qualifier (for other device speed):
   bLength                10
   bDescriptorType         6
   bcdUSB               2.00
   bDeviceSubClass         0
   bDeviceProtocol         0
   bMaxPacketSize0        64
   bNumConfigurations      1
Device Status:     0x0001
   Self Powered

* Re: Alcatel X220S HSDPA modem
@ 2013-08-05 13:34   ` Enrico Mioso
From: Enrico Mioso @ 2013-08-05 13:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dan Williams; +Cc: netdev, linux-usb

Oh - something like it happens for the E173!
I'm sorry - I do not have a Windows machine, nor sighted assistance needed to
install Windows somewhere.
So I will have to wait... Or could someone help?

Thank you infinitely for your reply!!

On Mon, 5 Aug 2013, Dan Williams wrote:

==Date: Mon, 05 Aug 2013 08:34:44 -0500
==From: Dan Williams <dcbw@redhat.com>
==To: Enrico Mioso <mrkiko.rs@gmail.com>
==Cc: netdev@vger.kernel.org, linux-usb@vger.kernel.org
==Subject: Re: Alcatel X220S HSDPA modem
==
==On Sun, 2013-08-04 at 01:59 +0200, Enrico Mioso wrote:
==> Hello everybody!
==> I'm going to investigate a little bit on an obscure Alcatel device - the
==> Alcatel X220s, manifactured by TCT Mobile Phones.
==>
==> It supports a NDIS network interface, as you will be able to discover looking
==> at the driver package, still: don't know what's the protocol used.
==> At a first glance, I would just like to avoid option.ko binding to non-serial
==> interface as it happens now. So I would appreciate it a lot if you help me
==> distinguish non-serial interfaces from serial ones, looking at this lsusb
==> listing and the driver package (see link below).
==>
==> Another strange thing is - the device interface referred as the WAN one is "06"
==> but here we ave from 0 to 5 interfaces!
==> Looking at this msdn article, it seems Windows does no elaboration regarding
==> the InterfaceNumber field. So - am I missing an interface or does Windows start
==> numbering interfaces from 1?
==
==Some devices expose different USB layouts based on the command that's
==sent to them to "switch" them from fake-driver-CD mode to modem mode.
==If you're at all able to sniff the modeswitch command maybe we could see
==if it's the same one as what usb_modeswitch sends on Linux?
==
==Dan
==
==> Driver package link:
==> http://www.gstorm.eu/dgm/alcdrv.tar.xz
==> (I simply decompressed the Innosetup installer to let you browse these files
==> with no major issues!)
==>
==> Any help and documentation would be greatly apreciated!!
==>
==>
==> Bus 001 Device 002: ID 1bbb:0017 T & A Mobile Phones
==> Device Descriptor:
==>    bLength                18
==>    bDescriptorType         1
==>    bcdUSB               2.00
==>    bDeviceClass            0 (Defined at Interface level)
[...]
==> --
==> To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe netdev" in
==> the body of a message to majordomo@vger.kernel.org
==> More majordomo info at  http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html
==
==