netdev.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
* Re: l3mdev: Support for sockets bound to enslaved device
@ 2017-08-08 11:29 Ondrej Zajicek
From: Ondrej Zajicek @ 2017-08-08 11:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Ahern; +Cc: netdev

Hi

We noticed that TCP outgoing sockets that are bound to enslaved devices
by SO_BINDTODEVICE fail to connect, while they work when bound to vrf
device instead. We noticed similar behavior on ICMP (i.e. ping -I vrf0
worked, while ping -I eth0 does not if eth0 is enslaved to vrf0). On
the contrary, UDP outgoing sockets bound to enslaved devices worked
as expected. We tested that on Linux 4.9.30-2 from Debian.

I found your patchset 'Support for sockets bound to enslaved device'
( http://www.spinics.net/lists/netdev/msg448040.html ), which seems
to be related to the issue, but the description mentions services,
i.e. listening sockets. Does the patchset (or some other one) fixes
the issue also for outgoing sockets?

--
Elen sila lumenn' omentielvo

Ondrej 'Santiago' Zajicek (email: santiago@crfreenet.org)

* Re: l3mdev: Support for sockets bound to enslaved device
@ 2017-08-08 14:19 ` David Ahern
From: David Ahern @ 2017-08-08 14:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ondrej Zajicek; +Cc: netdev

On 8/8/17 5:29 AM, Ondrej Zajicek wrote:
> Hi
>
> We noticed that TCP outgoing sockets that are bound to enslaved devices
> by SO_BINDTODEVICE fail to connect, while they work when bound to vrf
> device instead. We noticed similar behavior on ICMP (i.e. ping -I vrf0
> worked, while ping -I eth0 does not if eth0 is enslaved to vrf0). On
> the contrary, UDP outgoing sockets bound to enslaved devices worked
> as expected. We tested that on Linux 4.9.30-2 from Debian.
>
> I found your patchset 'Support for sockets bound to enslaved device'
> ( http://www.spinics.net/lists/netdev/msg448040.html ), which seems
> to be related to the issue, but the description mentions services,
> i.e. listening sockets. Does the patchset (or some other one) fixes
> the issue also for outgoing sockets?

Yes, it works for both directions.