netdev.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
* DSA Rate Limiting in 88E6390
@ 2019-07-29 10:30 Benjamin Beckmeyer
From: Benjamin Beckmeyer @ 2019-07-29 10:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: netdev

Hi all,
is there a possibility to set the rate limiting for the 6390 with linux tools?
I've seen that the driver will init all to zero, so rate limiting is disabled,
but there is no solution for it in the ip tool?

The only thing I found for rate limiting is the tc tool, but I guess this is
only a software solution?

Furthermore, does exist a table or a tutorial which functions DSA supports?
The background is that we are using the DSDT driver (in future maybe the UMSD
driver) but we would like to switch to the in kernel DSA entirely. And our
software is using some of the DSDT functions, so I have to find an
alternative to these functions.

Thanks in advance.

Best regards,
Benjamin

* Re: DSA Rate Limiting in 88E6390
@ 2019-07-29 15:01 ` Andrew Lunn
From: Andrew Lunn @ 2019-07-29 15:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Benjamin Beckmeyer; +Cc: netdev

On Mon, Jul 29, 2019 at 12:30:20PM +0200, Benjamin Beckmeyer wrote:
> Hi all,
> is there a possibility to set the rate limiting for the 6390 with linux tools?
> I've seen that the driver will init all to zero, so rate limiting is disabled,
> but there is no solution for it in the ip tool?
>
> The only thing I found for rate limiting is the tc tool, but I guess this is
> only a software solution?

Hi Benjamin

In Linux, we accelerate the software solution by offloading it to the
hardware. So TC is what you need here.

> Furthermore, does exist a table or a tutorial which functions DSA supports?
> The background is that we are using the DSDT driver (in future maybe the UMSD
> driver) but we would like to switch to the in kernel DSA entirely. And our
> software is using some of the DSDT functions, so I have to find an
> alternative to these functions.

The DSA framework supports offloading TC. There was some patches a
while back adding ingress rate limiting to one of the DSA drivers, via
TC. I forget which, and i don't think they have been merged yet. If
you can find the patchset, it should give you a good idea how you can
implement support in the mv88e6xxx driver.

	  Andrew

* Re: DSA Rate Limiting in 88E6390
@ 2019-07-30  9:58   ` Benjamin Beckmeyer
From: Benjamin Beckmeyer @ 2019-07-30  9:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Lunn; +Cc: netdev

>> Hi all,
>> is there a possibility to set the rate limiting for the 6390 with linux tools?
>> I've seen that the driver will init all to zero, so rate limiting is disabled,
>> but there is no solution for it in the ip tool?
>>
>> The only thing I found for rate limiting is the tc tool, but I guess this is
>> only a software solution?
> Hi Benjamin
>
> In Linux, we accelerate the software solution by offloading it to the
> hardware. So TC is what you need here.
>
>> Furthermore, does exist a table or a tutorial which functions DSA supports?
>> The background is that we are using the DSDT driver (in future maybe the UMSD
>> driver) but we would like to switch to the in kernel DSA entirely. And our
>> software is using some of the DSDT functions, so I have to find an
>> alternative to these functions.
> The DSA framework supports offloading TC. There was some patches a
> while back adding ingress rate limiting to one of the DSA drivers, via
> TC. I forget which, and i don't think they have been merged yet. If
> you can find the patchset, it should give you a good idea how you can
> implement support in the mv88e6xxx driver.
>
> 	  Andrew

Hi Andrew,
I've searched the netdev mailing list for DSA and traffic, but can't find anything
about rate limiting till 2016. Do you have a hint, how I can find it?

Do you know if the patchset was for Marvell or maybe for another company?

Cheers,

@ 2019-07-30 13:31     ` Andrew Lunn
From: Andrew Lunn @ 2019-07-30 13:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Benjamin Beckmeyer; +Cc: netdev

> Hi Andrew,
> I've searched the netdev mailing list for DSA and traffic, but can't find anything
> about rate limiting till 2016. Do you have a hint, how I can find it?

I will try to find it later today.

> Do you know if the patchset was for Marvell or maybe for another company?

It was another switch vendor.

   Andrew