netfilter-devel.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
* Update on UAF in ip6_do_table on 4.19.X kernel
@ 2020-01-20 22:36 stranche
From: stranche @ 2020-01-20 22:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: netfilter-devel; +Cc: subashab

Hi all,

Following up on the thread we submitted earlier here:
https://lore.kernel.org/netfilter-devel/44a69247-87bd-905d-bd1c-e9dcb5027641@gmail.com/

In short, we've seen that on the 4.19.X kernels, there is a crash in the
Xtables framework where the jumpstack can potentially be used after it
is freed. We've narrowed down the cause of this crash to a single patch:
f31e5f1a891f ("netfilter: unlock xt_table earlier in __do_replace"); if
this patch is reverted, the crash is no longer seen.

It seems that the xt_table lock is needed for get_old_counters() to be
synchronized properly with the rest of the framework.

Thanks,
Sean

only message in thread, other threads:[~2020-01-20 22:36 UTC | newest]