netfilter-devel.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
* How to continue to use Maxmind geoip csv in xtables-addons 3.8+
@ 2020-02-06 11:19 jean-christophe manciot
From: jean-christophe manciot @ 2020-02-06 11:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: netfilter-devel

I have realized by digging within xt_geoip_build that the expected
geoip provider has been changed from Maxmind to db-ip since 3.8-1
(debian sid).

This means that running xt_geoip_build with csv downloaded from
Maxmind can no longer work.

I am aware that Maxmind recently introduced "Significant Changes to
Accessing and Using GeoLite2 Databases" and introduced a new end-user
license agreement.

However, is there a way to continue to use Maxmind geoip db with
latest debian xtables-addons for people who detain the required
license key in order to download GeoLite2 databases?

--
Jean-Christophe

* Re: How to continue to use Maxmind geoip csv in xtables-addons 3.8+
@ 2020-02-06 14:15 ` Jan Engelhardt
From: Jan Engelhardt @ 2020-02-06 14:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jean-christophe manciot; +Cc: netfilter-devel

On Thursday 2020-02-06 12:19, jean-christophe manciot wrote:

>I have realized by digging within xt_geoip_build that the expected
>geoip provider has been changed from Maxmind to db-ip since 3.8-1
>(debian sid).
>
>This means that running xt_geoip_build with csv downloaded from
>Maxmind can no longer work.
>
>I am aware that Maxmind recently introduced "Significant Changes to
>Accessing and Using GeoLite2 Databases" and introduced a new end-user
>license agreement.
>
>However, is there a way to continue to use Maxmind geoip db with
>latest debian xtables-addons for people who detain the required
>license key in order to download GeoLite2 databases?

Just grab the old script from git.