nouveau.lists.freedesktop.org archive mirror
* [Nouveau] hardware donation
@ 2021-10-26 19:56 Linux User #330250
From: Linux User #330250 @ 2021-10-26 19:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nouveau

Hello!

I have a ThinkPad T61 with an Nvidia Quadro G86M [NVS 140M] graphics
card. Recently the nvidia binary driver, version 340.x, has been removed
from most Linux distributions, forcing the use of nouveau.

In the past, when nouveau was unstable/unusable, people moved to the
binary driver. Since this in no longer an option, nouveau is now the
only option. And I'm totally okay with it, I would have prferred an open
source solution anyway... BUT.

BUT nouveau is unstable. I experience random freezes, like others too:

The only option was to use nomodeset and to have an unaccelerated
graphics output. But if you want to use the laptop as a desktop machine,
this is not much fun.

Long story short, the question I have:

According to https://nouveau.freedesktop.org/HardwareDonations.html such
a graphics card could be of use?

Thanks,
Linux User #330250

* Re: [Nouveau] hardware donation
@ 2021-11-02  1:24 ` Karol Herbst
From: Karol Herbst @ 2021-11-02  1:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Linux User #330250; +Cc: nouveau

On Tue, Oct 26, 2021 at 9:56 PM Linux User #330250
<linuxuser330250@gmx.net> wrote:

> Hello!
>
> I have a ThinkPad T61 with an Nvidia Quadro G86M [NVS 140M] graphics
> card. Recently the nvidia binary driver, version 340.x, has been removed
> from most Linux distributions, forcing the use of nouveau.
>
> In the past, when nouveau was unstable/unusable, people moved to the
> binary driver. Since this in no longer an option, nouveau is now the
> only option. And I'm totally okay with it, I would have prferred an open
> source solution anyway... BUT.
>
> BUT nouveau is unstable. I experience random freezes, like others too:
>
> The only option was to use nomodeset and to have an unaccelerated
> graphics output. But if you want to use the laptop as a desktop machine,
> this is not much fun.
>
> Long story short, the question I have:
>
> According to https://nouveau.freedesktop.org/HardwareDonations.html such
> a graphics card could be of use?

If you are willing to give away the system anyway, it might make sense
to retest with recent software, like newest Fedora or debian sid. We
usually fix bugs, but often fixes are not added downstream. And I
think the issue shown in this bug is actually fixed already as I
remember seeing something like this and we fixed it.

If the issue is still there with a recent kernel (newest 5.14 or even
5.15) we can look into it.

Thanks

@ 2021-11-11  7:54   ` Linux User #330250
From: Linux User #330250 @ 2021-11-11  7:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Karol Herbst; +Cc: nouveau

On 02 Nov 2021, 02:24, Karol Herbst wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 26, 2021 at 9:56 PM Linux User #330250
> <linuxuser330250@gmx.net> wrote:
>>
>> Hello!
>>
>> I have a ThinkPad T61 with an Nvidia Quadro G86M [NVS 140M] graphics
>> card. Recently the nvidia binary driver, version 340.x, has been removed
>> from most Linux distributions, forcing the use of nouveau.
>>
>> In the past, when nouveau was unstable/unusable, people moved to the
>> binary driver. Since this in no longer an option, nouveau is now the
>> only option. And I'm totally okay with it, I would have prferred an open
>> source solution anyway... BUT.
>>
>> BUT nouveau is unstable. I experience random freezes, like others too:
>> https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=995866
>>
>> The only option was to use nomodeset and to have an unaccelerated
>> graphics output. But if you want to use the laptop as a desktop machine,
>> this is not much fun.
>>
>> Long story short, the question I have:
>>
>> According to https://nouveau.freedesktop.org/HardwareDonations.html such
>> a graphics card could be of use?
>>

> If you are willing to give away the system anyway, it might make sense
> to retest with recent software, like newest Fedora or debian sid. We
> usually fix bugs, but often fixes are not added downstream. And I
> think the issue shown in this bug is actually fixed already as I
> remember seeing something like this and we fixed it.
>
> If the issue is still there with a recent kernel (newest 5.14 or even
> 5.15) we can look into it.
>
> Thanks

Hi!
Sorry for the late reply. I don't have the time at the moment, but I
will try the newest Debian testing on that system and report back. If
that does work, it is an option to actually keep the system and use it
as originally intended.

If it doesn't work, I'm thinking about 1) Fedora and 2) Gentoo (because
that's what I normally use). Even though the later would be quite time
consuming, I'd certainly get the newest available sources to the hardware.

@ 2021-11-11  8:08     ` Uwe Sauter
From: Uwe Sauter @ 2021-11-11  8:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nouveau

Am 11.11.21 um 08:54 schrieb Linux User #330250:
> On 02 Nov 2021, 02:24, Karol Herbst wrote:
>> On Tue, Oct 26, 2021 at 9:56 PM Linux User #330250
>> <linuxuser330250@gmx.net> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hello!
>>>
>>> I have a ThinkPad T61 with an Nvidia Quadro G86M [NVS 140M] graphics
>>> card. Recently the nvidia binary driver, version 340.x, has been removed
>>> from most Linux distributions, forcing the use of nouveau.
>>>
>>> In the past, when nouveau was unstable/unusable, people moved to the
>>> binary driver. Since this in no longer an option, nouveau is now the
>>> only option. And I'm totally okay with it, I would have prferred an open
>>> source solution anyway... BUT.
>>>
>>> BUT nouveau is unstable. I experience random freezes, like others too:
>>> https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=995866
>>>
>>> The only option was to use nomodeset and to have an unaccelerated
>>> graphics output. But if you want to use the laptop as a desktop machine,
>>> this is not much fun.
>>>
>>> Long story short, the question I have:
>>>
>>> According to https://nouveau.freedesktop.org/HardwareDonations.html such
>>> a graphics card could be of use?
>>>

>> If you are willing to give away the system anyway, it might make sense
>> to retest with recent software, like newest Fedora or debian sid. We
>> usually fix bugs, but often fixes are not added downstream. And I
>> think the issue shown in this bug is actually fixed already as I
>> remember seeing something like this and we fixed it.
>>
>> If the issue is still there with a recent kernel (newest 5.14 or even
>> 5.15) we can look into it.
>>
>> Thanks
>
> Hi!
> Sorry for the late reply. I don't have the time at the moment, but I
> will try the newest Debian testing on that system and report back. If
> that does work, it is an option to actually keep the system and use it
> as originally intended.
>
> If it doesn't work, I'm thinking about 1) Fedora and 2) Gentoo (because
> that's what I normally use). Even though the later would be quite time
> consuming, I'd certainly get the newest available sources to the hardware.

Hi,

if you don't have time to compile a whole new Gentoo system then take a look at Arch Linux where you
will find the latest kernel release only a few days after there were released.

I was using Gentoo for many years but it became too time consuming and the change to Arch was time
well spent (in regards to how much time I need now to keep the systems up to date).

(This post's intention is not to start discussions regarding distributions, only to bring awareness
to Arch as rolling update distribution using the newest kernel and drivers.)

Regards,

	Uwe

@ 2021-11-11 10:48       ` Linux User #330250
From: Linux User #330250 @ 2021-11-11 10:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nouveau

On 11 Nov 2021, 09:08, Uwe Sauter wrote:
>> Hi!
>> Sorry for the late reply. I don't have the time at the moment, but I
>> will try the newest Debian testing on that system and report back. If
>> that does work, it is an option to actually keep the system and use it
>> as originally intended.
>>
>> If it doesn't work, I'm thinking about 1) Fedora and 2) Gentoo (because
>> that's what I normally use). Even though the later would be quite time
>> consuming, I'd certainly get the newest available sources to the hardware.
>
> Hi,
>
> if you don't have time to compile a whole new Gentoo system then take a look at Arch Linux where you
> will find the latest kernel release only a few days after there were released.
>
> I was using Gentoo for many years but it became too time consuming and the change to Arch was time
> well spent (in regards to how much time I need now to keep the systems up to date).
>
> (This post's intention is not to start discussions regarding distributions, only to bring awareness
> to Arch as rolling update distribution using the newest kernel and drivers.)
>
> Regards,
>
> 	Uwe

Thanks, I'll definitely consider it. I've wanted to try Arch for years
now, the Wiki is wonderful and I hear the distribution is as well. On my
current Linux boxes the updates don't take that much time really. Also,
what I do on one computer is more or less a template of how to proceed
on another, so it really isn't /that/ much work, except for the
compiling, but that's mostly the CPUs work... ;-)

Anyway, thanks for the suggestion! I almost forgot about Arch... /Shame
on me/

Linux User #330250