nouveau.lists.freedesktop.org archive mirror
* [Nouveau] Piglit results for NV46 and glitches using GeForce 7500LE
@ 2022-01-08  0:22 Ilario Gelmetti
From: Ilario Gelmetti @ 2022-01-08  0:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nouveau

Dear all,
thanks for your work on Nouveau!!!
I have been a user, but I never touched the Nouveau code or testing
suite before.

I am building a desktop PC with some rather old hardware and a nVidia
GeForce 7500LE 64MB TC V/D/VO PN 88-1N01-0C-PB (NV46, G72) graphic card
(see lshw output here [1]).

I observed frequent glitches with some common user experiences:
* Ubuntu 21.10
* Ubuntu 18.04
* Debian 11 stable with GDM3+Gnome
* Debian 10 oldstable with GDM3+Gnome with errors in dmesg like this [2]
and glitches like these [3]
* Debian 10 oldstable with GDM3+XFCE with usually no errors in dmesg [4]
and glitches like these [5]. But sometimes runs smoothly

The situation improved replacing GDM3 by LightDM (why??), so now I have
these two setups where under normal operation I see no glitches (but
glitches appear after running piglit):
* Arch without DM and with XFCE
* Debian oldstable with LightDM and Gnome

So I run piglit with various combinations of software versions and
distros, and X crashed with some of these (the only responsive thing was
the moving-but-not-shapeshifting mouse arrow, like this [6]).

Here I detail the piglit tests and the results:

* Debian 10 oldstable (kernel 4.19) + LightDM + Gnome + piglit compiled
from source + libdrm2 (2.4.97) + libdrm-nouveau (2.4.97) +
xserver-xorg-core 1.20.4 + xserver-xorg-video-nouveau (1.0.16)

no glitches observed during normal operation
both piglit from Debian oldstable repository and piglit compiled from
source run to completion but at the end there are some glitches
at the screen, like this [7], or sometimes just a black screen or all
the windows as black rectangles.
Here you can find the result of the tests in these conditions: [8]

* Arch Linux + kernel (tested both 5.15.12 and 5.16.0-rc8 from linux-git
package) + nouveau (tested both 1.0.17 and 1.0.17.r2 from
xf86-video-nouveau-git package) + libdrm (tested both 2.4.109 and
2.4.109.r7 from libdrm-git package) + mesa (tested both 21.3.3 and
22.0.0_devel from mesa-git package) + XFCE

no glitches observed during normal operation
piglit-git (r11511.6c4da153b) makes X crash (or something similar, the
kernel seems not panicked as magic-sysrq work). This happens
reproducibly always after the getteximage-depth test (which itself
succeeds but the next one, any next one, gets stuck in the "running"
status) and very often also when the other "*getteximage*" or "*vertex*"
or "generatemipmap-base-change" or "arb_get_texture_sub_image" or
"texture with glblitframebuffer" or "fbo-finish-deleted" or
"ext_image_dma_buf_import_sample_argb8888" or
"depthstencil-render-mpilevels" or "readpixels-24_8" (I noticed that
when it does not make X crash it just results in dmesg-fail output,
maybe this happens also to the others, I didn't check) or "texsubimage"
or "draw-pixels".
The glitches caused by running piglit look like these [9].
When I manage to get out of the crashed X (using Alt+SysRq+R,E) I can
get some error messages from dmesg, like these [10].
And here are also some coredumps obtained via "coredumpctl dump" command
[11].
After many reboots and adding many exclusions to the tests list I gave
up trying to reach the end of the tests list, so here you have a couple
of incomplete lists with the results that got to actually run: [12]

Let me know if I can help.
Thanks for your help and for your precious work! :)
Ilario Gelmetti

[1]: https://uz.sns.it/~ilario/nouveau-nv46/lshw

[2]:
https://uz.sns.it/~ilario/nouveau-nv46/debian/dmesg/20220107-nouveau-gdm3-gnome

[3]:
https://uz.sns.it/~ilario/nouveau-nv46/debian/glitches/IMG_20220108_002132.jpg
https://uz.sns.it/~ilario/nouveau-nv46/debian/glitches/IMG_20220108_002140.jpg

[4]:
https://uz.sns.it/~ilario/nouveau-nv46/debian/dmesg/20220107-nouveau-gdm3-xfce

[5]:
https://uz.sns.it/~ilario/nouveau-nv46/debian/glitches/IMG_20220108_001511.jpg

[6]:
https://uz.sns.it/~ilario/nouveau-nv46/arch/glitches/IMG_20220104_130045.jpg

[7]:
https://uz.sns.it/~ilario/nouveau-nv46/debian/glitches/IMG_20220104_231136.jpg

[8]:
https://uz.sns.it/~ilario/nouveau-nv46/nv46-2022-01-05_1020-ilario.json.bz2

[9]: https://uz.sns.it/~ilario/nouveau-nv46/arch/glitches/

[10]: https://uz.sns.it/~ilario/nouveau-nv46/arch/dmesg/

[11]: https://uz.sns.it/~ilario/nouveau-nv46/arch/coredumps/

[12]:
https://uz.sns.it/~ilario/nouveau-nv46/arch/nv46-2022-01-06_1321-ilario-incomplete.tar.xz
https://uz.sns.it/~ilario/nouveau-nv46/arch/nv46-2022-01-07_2210-ilario-incomplete.tar.xz

--
Ilario
iochesonome@gmail.com

* Re: [Nouveau] Piglit results for NV46 and glitches using GeForce 7500LE
@ 2022-01-11 10:14 ` Karol Herbst
From: Karol Herbst @ 2022-01-11 10:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ilario Gelmetti; +Cc: nouveau

I've fixed a really really really old bug in mesa which impacted
gnome: https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/mesa/mesa/-/commit/1387d1d41103b3120d40f93f66a7cfe00304bfd7

this one is part of 21.3 and should have made it into 21.1 and 21.2
stable releases.

We also have two pending merge requests which should fix other issues
related to gnome and random other stuff:
https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/mesa/mesa/-/merge_requests?scope=all&state=opened&label_name[]=nv30

I'd suggest if you want to start digging into issues you do so with a
fixed mesa and those merge requests applied.