openbmc.lists.ozlabs.org archive mirror
* Request for debug-trigger repository
@ 2021-05-24 23:33 Andrew Jeffery
From: Andrew Jeffery @ 2021-05-24 23:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brad Bishop, openbmc

Hi Brad,

A recently merged design document[1] outlines the need for a daemon to
translate in-band indications from the host that the BMC is
unresponsive into recovery actions on the BMC.

[1] https://github.com/openbmc/docs/blob/da726aad0d204a8c8a04d6230ea61aa15e357653/designs/bmc-service-failure-debug-and-recovery.md

A tentative implementation of the daemon lives at:

https://github.com/amboar/debug-trigger/

With the design document accepted, this could live under the openbmc
org. Can you make a repo for it?

Cheers,

Andrew

* Re: Request for debug-trigger repository
@ 2021-06-01 20:26 ` Brad Bishop
From: Brad Bishop @ 2021-06-01 20:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Jeffery; +Cc: openbmc

On Tue, May 25, 2021 at 09:03:31AM +0930, Andrew Jeffery wrote:
>Hi Brad,
>
>A recently merged design document[1] outlines the need for a daemon to
>translate in-band indications from the host that the BMC is
>unresponsive into recovery actions on the BMC.
>
>[1] https://github.com/openbmc/docs/blob/da726aad0d204a8c8a04d6230ea61aa15e357653/designs/bmc-service-failure-debug-and-recovery.md
>
>A tentative implementation of the daemon lives at:
>
>https://github.com/amboar/debug-trigger/
>
>With the design document accepted, this could live under the openbmc
>org. Can you make a repo for it?

done!

-brad

* Re: Request for debug-trigger repository
@ 2021-06-01 20:48   ` Bruce Mitchell
From: Bruce Mitchell @ 2021-06-01 20:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brad Bishop, Andrew Jeffery; +Cc: openbmc

On 6/1/2021 13:26, Brad Bishop wrote:
> On Tue, May 25, 2021 at 09:03:31AM +0930, Andrew Jeffery wrote:
>> Hi Brad,
>>
>> A recently merged design document[1] outlines the need for a daemon to
>> translate in-band indications from the host that the BMC is
>> unresponsive into recovery actions on the BMC.
>>
>> [1]
>> https://github.com/openbmc/docs/blob/da726aad0d204a8c8a04d6230ea61aa15e357653/designs/bmc-service-failure-debug-and-recovery.md
>>

>> A tentative implementation of the daemon lives at:
>>
>> https://github.com/amboar/debug-trigger/
>>
>> With the design document accepted, this could live under the openbmc
>> org. Can you make a repo for it?
>
> done!
>
> -brad
Hi Brad,

I think Andrew has is default branch as main, and it looks like you
created a branch called master.  Do you want that changed to match what
Andrew has done prior to him making any commits on it?

Thanks!

--
Bruce

* Re: Request for debug-trigger repository
@ 2021-06-28 20:51     ` Brad Bishop
From: Brad Bishop @ 2021-06-28 20:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bruce Mitchell; +Cc: Andrew Jeffery, openbmc

On Tue, Jun 01, 2021 at 01:48:16PM -0700, Bruce Mitchell wrote:
>Hi Brad,
>
>I think Andrew has is default branch as main, and it looks like you
>created a branch called master.  Do you want that changed to match
>what Andrew has done prior to him making any commits on it?

Hi Bruce.  Andrew is certainly free to do that at any time.  I sort of
want to encourage any repository maintainer to just go do this right now
but I don't understand what the impacts might be, if any.  My thinking
is that the next time I make a repository I'll just make 'main' the
default branch and we'll discover and work through any issues that
arise.

Should we add something about branch names in
https://gerrit.openbmc-project.xyz/c/openbmc/docs/+/44522 ?

thx - brad

* Re: Request for debug-trigger repository
@ 2021-06-29  0:58       ` Andrew Jeffery
From: Andrew Jeffery @ 2021-06-29  0:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brad Bishop, Bruce Mitchell; +Cc: openbmc

On Tue, 29 Jun 2021, at 06:21, Brad Bishop wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 01, 2021 at 01:48:16PM -0700, Bruce Mitchell wrote:
> >Hi Brad,
> >
> >I think Andrew has is default branch as main, and it looks like you
> >created a branch called master.  Do you want that changed to match
> >what Andrew has done prior to him making any commits on it?
>
> Hi Bruce.  Andrew is certainly free to do that at any time.  I sort of
> want to encourage any repository maintainer to just go do this right now
> but I don't understand what the impacts might be, if any.  My thinking
> is that the next time I make a repository I'll just make 'main' the
> default branch and we'll discover and work through any issues that
> arise.

Sounds good to me.