openbmc.lists.ozlabs.org archive mirror
* Patch files not apply while devtool modify linux-aspeed
@ 2018-08-07  1:42 Henbin Chang
From: Henbin Chang @ 2018-08-07  1:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: OpenBMC Maillist

We found the patch files would be applied while 'devtool modify
linux-aspeed' after upgrade to Yocto 2.5.
And show the below warning message.

WARNING: SRC_URI is conditionally overridden in this recipe, thus several
devtool-override-* branches have been created, one for each override that
makes changes to SRC_URI. It is recommended that you make changes to the
devtool branch first, then checkout and rebase each devtool-override-*
branch and update any unique patches there (duplicates on those branches
will be ignored by devtool finish/update-recipe)

Can anyone meet the same issue?

Thanks.

* Re: Patch files not apply while devtool modify linux-aspeed
@ 2018-08-10  1:01 ` Joel Stanley
From: Joel Stanley @ 2018-08-10  1:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Henbin Chang, Brad Bishop, Eddie James, Adriana Kobylak, Lei YU
  Cc: OpenBMC Maillist

Hello,

On Tue, 7 Aug 2018 at 11:13, Henbin Chang <henbinchang@gmail.com> wrote:
> We found the patch files would be applied while 'devtool modify linux-aspeed' after upgrade to Yocto 2.5.
> And show the below warning message.
>
> WARNING: SRC_URI is conditionally overridden in this recipe, thus several devtool-override-* branches have been created, one for each override that makes changes to SRC_URI. It is recommended that you make changes to the devtool branch first, then checkout and rebase each devtool-override-* branch and update any unique patches there (duplicates on those branches will be ignored by devtool finish/update-recipe)

I do not use yocto when developing the kernel, so I can't help here. I
have cc'd some other developers that my have encountered this issue.

Cheers,

Joel

* Re: Patch files not apply while devtool modify linux-aspeed
@ 2018-08-10  1:39   ` Henbin Chang
From: Henbin Chang @ 2018-08-10  1:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joel Stanley
  Cc: Brad Bishop, Eddie James, Adriana Kobylak, Lei YU, OpenBMC Maillist

Thanks Joel.

The issue could be duplicated following the steps in the romulus machine.

1. 'devtool modify linux-aspeed'
2. 'cd workspace/sources/linux-aspeed/' and edit
'arch/arm/boot/dts/aspeed-bmc-opp-romulus.dts'
3. 'git add -A' and 'git commit -m 'Test modify dts' '
4. go to build directory and 'devtool update-recipe -m patch -a
../meta-openbmc-machines/meta-openpower/meta-ibm/meta-romulus/ linux-aspeed'
5. Confirm the below files are generated.
meta-openbmc-machines/meta-openpower/meta-ibm/meta-romulus/recipes-kernel/linux/linux-aspeed/0001-Test-modify-dts.patch
meta-openbmc-machines/meta-openpower/meta-ibm/meta-romulus/recipes-kernel/linux/linux-aspeed_git.bbappend
6. 'devtool reset linux-aspeed' and remove ' workspace/sources/linux-aspeed/
'
7. 'devtool modify linux-aspeed' again
8. 'cd workspace/sources/linux-aspeed/ ' and the commit with the 'Test
modify dts' message not found while 'git log'
9. 'git branch'
  dev
  dev-4.10
  dev-4.13
  dev-4.17
  dev-4.3
  dev-4.4
  dev-4.6
  dev-4.7
* devtool
  devtool-no-overrides
  devtool-override-df-obmc-ubi-fs
  master
10. 'git checkout dev-4.17' and 'git log'

commit 2310638091e7b4dd97014f1b373a9ba111ac4e58
Author: Henbin.Chang <henbin-chang@mic.com.tw>
Date:   Thu Aug 9 16:15:48 2018 +0800

    Test modify dts

I had no idea why the patch was not applied in the 'devtool' branch.

BRs,
Henbin

@ 2018-08-13  0:36     ` Andrew Jeffery
From: Andrew Jeffery @ 2018-08-13  0:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Henbin Chang, Joel Stanley; +Cc: Adriana Kobylak, OpenBMC Maillist, Brad Bishop

Hi Henbin,

On Fri, 10 Aug 2018, at 11:09, Henbin Chang wrote:
> Thanks Joel.
>
> The issue could be duplicated following the steps in the romulus machine.
>
> 1. 'devtool modify linux-aspeed'
> 2. 'cd workspace/sources/linux-aspeed/' and edit
> 'arch/arm/boot/dts/aspeed-bmc-opp-romulus.dts'
> 3. 'git add -A' and 'git commit -m 'Test modify dts' '
> 4. go to build directory and 'devtool update-recipe -m patch -a
> ../meta-openbmc-machines/meta-openpower/meta-ibm/meta-romulus/ linux-
> aspeed'
> 5. Confirm the below files are generated.
> meta-openbmc-machines/meta-openpower/meta-ibm/meta-romulus/recipes-
> kernel/linux/linux-aspeed/0001-Test-modify-dts.patch
> meta-openbmc-machines/meta-openpower/meta-ibm/meta-romulus/recipes-
> kernel/linux/linux-aspeed_git.bbappend
> 6. 'devtool reset linux-aspeed' and remove ' workspace/sources/linux-
> aspeed/
> '
> 7. 'devtool modify linux-aspeed' again
> 8. 'cd workspace/sources/linux-aspeed/ ' and the commit with the 'Test
> modify dts' message not found while 'git log'
> 9. 'git branch'
>   dev
>   dev-4.10
>   dev-4.13
>   dev-4.17
>   dev-4.3
>   dev-4.4
>   dev-4.6
>   dev-4.7
> * devtool
>   devtool-no-overrides
>   devtool-override-df-obmc-ubi-fs
>   master
> 10. 'git checkout dev-4.17' and 'git log'
>
> commit 2310638091e7b4dd97014f1b373a9ba111ac4e58
> Author: Henbin.Chang <henbin-chang@mic.com.tw>
> Date:   Thu Aug 9 16:15:48 2018 +0800
>
>     Test modify dts
>
> I had no idea why the patch was not applied in the 'devtool' branch.

My understanding of devtool isn't great, however if you patch the
source this way I'm somewhat confident it _doesn't_ do a `git am`
to commit the patch, rather it just uses patch(1) to modify the source
in-place. As such you'll just have a dirty working tree, not modified
history.

Is the actual change missing from the DTS?

Cheers,

Andrew

* Re: Patch files not apply while devtool modify linux-aspeed
@ 2018-08-13  1:50       ` Henbin Chang
From: Henbin Chang @ 2018-08-13  1:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Jeffery
  Cc: Joel Stanley, Adriana Kobylak, OpenBMC Maillist, Brad Bishop

Hi Andrew,
Thanks for your response.

It's really missing from the DTS.

I met the issue after upgrading to Yocto 2.5.
The devtool worked well previously.

I tried other recipe, e.g. 'devtool modify u-boot-aspeed'
I could see the commits as expected.

-Henbin

@ 2018-08-13  4:02         ` Andrew Jeffery
From: Andrew Jeffery @ 2018-08-13  4:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Henbin Chang; +Cc: Joel Stanley, Adriana Kobylak, OpenBMC Maillist, Brad Bishop

On Mon, 13 Aug 2018, at 11:20, Henbin Chang wrote:
> Hi Andrew,
> Thanks for your response.
>
> It's really missing from the DTS.
>
> I met the issue after upgrading to Yocto 2.5.
> The devtool worked well previously.
>
> I tried other recipe, e.g. 'devtool modify u-boot-aspeed'
> I could see the commits as expected.

Okay, odd! I'll have to defer to the yocto/OE experts :)

Andrew