openbmc.lists.ozlabs.org archive mirror
* Mulit-platform feature
@ 2020-01-09  8:12 Payne Yang
From: Payne Yang @ 2020-01-09  8:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openbmc

Hi Team,

Is there a plan to support mulit-platform feature on OpenBMC in future ?
Multi-platform means 1 BMC image could support multiple platform but only single platform.

Best Regards,
Payne

* Re: Mulit-platform feature
@ 2020-02-17 20:30 ` Brandon Wyman
From: Brandon Wyman @ 2020-02-17 20:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Payne Yang, openbmc

Same idea, slightly different topic?

"multiple device trees" ->
https://lists.ozlabs.org/pipermail/openbmc/2020-January/020171.html

On 2020-01-09 02:12, Payne Yang wrote:

> Hi Team,
>
> Is there a plan to support mulit-platform feature on OpenBMC in future ?
>
> Multi-platform means 1 BMC image could support multiple platform but
> only single platform.
>
> Best Regards,
>
> Payne

* Re: Mulit-platform feature
@ 2020-02-18 17:10   ` James Feist
From: James Feist @ 2020-02-18 17:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brandon Wyman, Payne Yang, openbmc

On 2/17/20 12:30 PM, Brandon Wyman wrote:
> Same idea, slightly different topic?
>
> "multiple device trees" ->
> https://lists.ozlabs.org/pipermail/openbmc/2020-January/020171.html
>
> On 2020-01-09 02:12, Payne Yang wrote:
>>
>> Hi Team,
>>
>> Is there a plan to support mulit-platform feature on OpenBMC in future ?
>>
>> Multi-platform means 1 BMC image could support multiple platform but
>> only single platform.

We currently do this using entity-manager configurations and component
detection, however as mentioned it requires similar device trees. We get
around this by having most of our designs have similar i2c topology, and
using a limited device tree and exporting devices during runtime. I
imagine at some point this will break and we'll need one of the
solutions in the other email thread as well.