openbmc.lists.ozlabs.org archive mirror
From: Johnathan Mantey <johnathanx.mantey@intel.com>
To: Heyi Guo <guoheyi@linux.alibaba.com>,
	Vernon Mauery <vernon.mauery@linux.intel.com>,
	Tom Joseph <rushtotom@gmail.com>,
	"Puli, Apparao" <apparao.puli@linux.intel.com>
Cc: "openbmc@lists.ozlabs.org" <openbmc@lists.ozlabs.org>
Subject: Re: [Question] How can we use underscore "_" in sensor name?
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2021 07:57:58 -0700	[thread overview]

Heyi,

On 9/13/21 3:49 AM, Heyi Guo wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Can we use underscore "_" in IPMI sensor names? Now we see that "_" in
> sensor names will be replaced with space in the code, even if we really
> use "_" for sensor names in json configuration files.

Which layer is translating the "_" char?
Are you referring to D-Bus?
IPMITool?
Some other locatioN?

It would be helpful to know.
As an example, D-Bus translates "-" to "%2D" and back because D-Bus, or
one of the D-Bus consumers can't accept the hyphen character.

It is likely that the underscore character has some similar naming
convention issue.

You may want to investigate using the same scheme to translate between
"_" and a "%5F" combination.

--
Johnathan Mantey
Senior Software Engineer