openbmc.lists.ozlabs.org archive mirror
* openssh-dev package and populate_sdk conflicts
@ 2021-09-24  2:45 Matt Johnston
From: Matt Johnston @ 2021-09-24  2:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel; +Cc: OpenBMC Maillist

Hi OE list,

Recently OpenBMC merged a change to install openssh-sftp-server package
alongside dropbear sshd [1]. That caused a conflict in "populate_sdk" which
installs all available -dev packages [2]. 'openssh-dev' pulls in an
'openssh' -> 'openssh-sshd' dependency which conflicts with 'dropbear' [3].

What would be the recommended way to handle that situation? For now OpenBMC
has merged a change to disable building openssh-dev (it's empty since
openssh doesn't have libraries) [4].

Should non-library packages handle -dev packages differently? The default
-dev package comes from bitbake.conf .

Cheers,
Matt

[1]
https://github.com/openbmc/openbmc/commit/26dbcdbd917e4f22fb400153da0d3e7255c8e646
[2]
https://github.com/openbmc/openbmc/blob/49465582e16221caf74cbdea11c87600a02bf47b/poky/meta/classes/populate_sdk_base.bbclass#L5

[3] https://github.com/openbmc/openbmc/issues/3819
 *   - package openssh-8.7p1-r0.arm1176jzs conflicts with dropbear provided
by dropbear-2020.81-r0.arm1176jzs
 *   - package openssh-dev-8.7p1-r0.arm1176jzs requires openssh = 8.7p1-r0,
but none of the providers can be installed

[4] https://gerrit.openbmc-project.xyz/c/openbmc/openbmc/+/47089

* Re: [oe] openssh-dev package and populate_sdk conflicts
@ 2021-09-24  4:29 ` Khem Raj
From: Khem Raj @ 2021-09-24  4:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matt Johnston, openembedded-devel; +Cc: OpenBMC Maillist

On 9/23/21 20:08, Matt Johnston wrote:
> Hi OE list,
>
> Recently OpenBMC merged a change to install openssh-sftp-server package
> alongside dropbear sshd [1]. That caused a conflict in "populate_sdk" which
> installs all available -dev packages [2]. 'openssh-dev' pulls in an
> 'openssh' -> 'openssh-sshd' dependency which conflicts with 'dropbear' [3].
>
> What would be the recommended way to handle that situation? For now OpenBMC
> has merged a change to disable building openssh-dev (it's empty since
> openssh doesn't have libraries) [4].
>
> Should non-library packages handle -dev packages differently? The default
> -dev package comes from bitbake.conf .

perhaps set

RDEPENDS:${PN}-dev = ""

in openssh

@ 2021-09-24  9:28 ` Christian Eggers
From: Christian Eggers @ 2021-09-24  9:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel; +Cc: OpenBMC Maillist, Matt Johnston, Khem Raj

On Friday, 24 September 2021, 05:08:04 CEST, Matt Johnston wrote:
> Recently OpenBMC merged a change to install openssh-sftp-server package
> alongside dropbear sshd [1]. That caused a conflict in "populate_sdk" which
> installs all available -dev packages [2]. 'openssh-dev' pulls in an
> 'openssh' -> 'openssh-sshd' dependency which conflicts with 'dropbear' [3].
>
> What would be the recommended way to handle that situation? For now OpenBMC
> has merged a change to disable building openssh-dev (it's empty since
> openssh doesn't have libraries) [4].

I had a similar problem. It set the following in my rootfs image recipe:

# SDK: openssh-dev cannot be installed because dropbear is already installed.
PACKAGE_EXCLUDE_COMPLEMENTARY += "openssh"

regards
Christian