openbmc.lists.ozlabs.org archive mirror
* (no subject)
@ 2018-08-28 17:34 Bills, Jason M
From: Bills, Jason M @ 2018-08-28 17:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openbmc

I just added a comment to a github discussion about the IPMI SEL and thought I should share it here as well:

I have been working on a proof-of-concept to move the IPMI SEL entries out of D-Bus into journald instead.

Since journald allows custom metadata for log entries, I've thought of having the SEL message logged to the journal and using metadata to store the necessary IPMI info associated with the entry. Here is an example of logging a type 0x02 system event entry to journald:

sd_journal_send("MESSAGE=%s", message.c_str(),
                            "PRIORITY=%i", selPriority,
                            "MESSAGE_ID=%s", selMessageId,
                            "IPMI_SEL_RECORD_ID=%d", recordId,
                            "IPMI_SEL_RECORD_TYPE=%x", selSystemType,
                            "IPMI_SEL_GENERATOR_ID=%x", genId,
                            "IPMI_SEL_SENSOR_PATH=%s", path.c_str(),
                            "IPMI_SEL_EVENT_DIR=%x", assert,
                            "IPMI_SEL_DATA=%s", selDataStr,
                            NULL);
Using journald should allow for scaling to more SEL entries which should also enable us to support more generic IPMI behavior such as the Add SEL command.

-Jason

[parent not found: <CAGMNF6W8baS_zLYL8DwVsbfPWTP2ohzRB7xutW0X=MUzv93pbA@mail.gmail.com>]