openbmc.lists.ozlabs.org archive mirror
* ipmitool default interface
@ 2018-07-11 16:59 Vernon Mauery
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Vernon Mauery @ 2018-07-11 16:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeremy Kerr; +Cc: Alexander Amelkin, OpenBMC Development

I have seen several requests for help on this list that could have been
avoided if the BMC internal ipmitool used dbus as its default interface.

I do not think we are quite ready to upstream this commit or the actual
interface, since the dbus interface will be changing as part of the
refactor of ipmid's architecture. But for now, it makes sense to set the
default interface as dbus.

After I have finished working on the refactor, I will push the changes
upstream and then we should be able to just run with a standard
cross-compiled build of ipmitool.

--Vernon

* RE: ipmitool default interface
@ 2018-07-11 17:05 ` Tanous, Ed
From: Tanous, Ed @ 2018-07-11 17:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vernon Mauery, Jeremy Kerr; +Cc: OpenBMC Development, Alexander Amelkin

+1

-Ed

@ 2018-07-13 12:54 ` Alexander Amelkin
From: Alexander Amelkin @ 2018-07-13 12:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vernon Mauery, Jeremy Kerr; +Cc: OpenBMC Development

11.07.2018 19:59, Vernon Mauery wrote:
> After I have finished working on the refactor, I will push the changes
> upstream and then we should be able to just run with a standard
> cross-compiled build of ipmitool.
Great! Just make sure the code meets
https://github.com/ipmitool/ipmitool/wiki/Coding-Standards

WBR, Alexander.

P.S. I haven't forgotten about your UDP packet size pull request there,
just need to thoroughly review it and that takes time.

* Re: ipmitool default interface
@ 2018-07-14  2:34 ` Jeremy Kerr
From: Jeremy Kerr @ 2018-07-14  2:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vernon Mauery; +Cc: Alexander Amelkin, OpenBMC Development

Hi Vernon,

> I have seen several requests for help on this list that could have been
> avoided if the BMC internal ipmitool used dbus as its default interface.
> I do not think we are quite ready to upstream this commit or the actual
> interface, since the dbus interface will be changing as part of the
> refactor of ipmid's architecture. But for now, it makes sense to set the
> default interface as dbus.

OK, makes sense. I've merged your change for this and pushed to the
openbmc ipmitool repo.

Cheers,

Jeremy