openbmc.lists.ozlabs.org archive mirror
* Request to create ampere-platform-mgmt and ampere-ipmi-oem repos
@ 2021-04-16  2:05 Thang Nguyen
From: Thang Nguyen @ 2021-04-16  2:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bradleyb, OpenBMC Maillist

Hi Brad,

Can you help create 2 new repositories for Ampere specific codes:

- ampere-platform-mgmt: contains codes for Ampere specific applications
to monitor and control Ampere's Host like RAS error handling, Temp
event, ...

- ampere-ipmi-oem: contains codes for Ampere specific IPMI command support.

Thanks,

Thang Q. Nguyen -

* Re: Request to create ampere-platform-mgmt and ampere-ipmi-oem repos
@ 2021-04-23 13:31 ` Patrick Williams
From: Patrick Williams @ 2021-04-23 13:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thang Nguyen; +Cc: OpenBMC Maillist, bradleyb

On Fri, Apr 16, 2021 at 09:05:36AM +0700, Thang Nguyen wrote:

Hello Thang,

> Can you help create 2 new repositories for Ampere specific codes:
>
> - ampere-platform-mgmt: contains codes for Ampere specific applications
> to monitor and control Ampere's Host like RAS error handling, Temp
> event, ...

This sounds fairly vague and potentially overlapping with some existing
repositories.  Can we get designs on this to understand the scope and
applicability to other systems?  It is quite possible that pieces of
this already exist elsewhere in the codebase or could be extended with
minimal effort to fit your needs.

> - ampere-ipmi-oem: contains codes for Ampere specific IPMI command support.

We certainly have precidence for <company>-ipmi-oem repositories, but I
think there is a desire to reduce them and try to make the IPMI handlers
more common.  I don't know if anyone is actively leading that effort
though, so in keeping with the existing precidence it seems like we
should create this repository for you.

--
Patrick Williams

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Request to create ampere-platform-mgmt and ampere-ipmi-oem repos
@ 2021-04-24 12:48   ` Thang Nguyen
From: Thang Nguyen @ 2021-04-24 12:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Patrick Williams; +Cc: OpenBMC Maillist, bradleyb

Hi Patrick

On 23/04/2021 20:31, Patrick Williams wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 16, 2021 at 09:05:36AM +0700, Thang Nguyen wrote:
>
> Hello Thang,
>
>> Can you help create 2 new repositories for Ampere specific codes:
>>
>> - ampere-platform-mgmt: contains codes for Ampere specific applications
>> to monitor and control Ampere's Host like RAS error handling, Temp
>> event, ...
> This sounds fairly vague and potentially overlapping with some existing
> repositories.  Can we get designs on this to understand the scope and
> applicability to other systems?  It is quite possible that pieces of
> this already exist elsewhere in the codebase or could be extended with
> minimal effort to fit your needs.

I intend to push Ampere specific features, you can find current codes at
https://github.com/ampere-openbmc/ampere-platform-mgmt.

It is good to have any of below can be implemented with current existing
repositories:

- utilities to flash Ampere Host firmware and NVPARM: Boot EEPROM,
UEFI/ATF firmware, ...

- Control boot EEPROM based on current input GPIO and log the
information into Redfish
(https://github.com/ampere-openbmc/ampere-platform-mgmt/tree/ampere/altra/host-control/scp-failover)

- Handle boot progress from Ampere's Altra SMpro, log the progress into
Redfish and update dbus. Note that the boot progress is based on
information from EDK2 and other firmware like ATF and SMpro.

- Handle events from Ampere Altra's SMpro (like Sideband controller) and
log to IPMI SEL and Redfish.

@ 2021-04-30 14:25     ` Patrick Williams
From: Patrick Williams @ 2021-04-30 14:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thang Nguyen; +Cc: OpenBMC Maillist, bradleyb

On Sat, Apr 24, 2021 at 07:48:14PM +0700, Thang Nguyen wrote:
> I intend to push Ampere specific features, you can find current codes at
> https://github.com/ampere-openbmc/ampere-platform-mgmt.

It seems to me like all of the functional areas you mentioned we already
have some sort of implementation.  It would be better if you could work
with the maintainers on these repositories to see how it can be enhanced
to support your use case.  As I mentioned in another email thread today,
I really don't want to see catch-all repositories being created.

If you have specific features that aren't covered by an existing
repository or you feel like you've ran into a roadblock coming to
consensus with the developers already working in those areas, we should
revisit making repositories for those specific functional areas.

> It is good to have any of below can be implemented with current existing
> repositories:
>
> - utilities to flash Ampere Host firmware and NVPARM: Boot EEPROM,
> UEFI/ATF firmware, ...

Are these extra utilities or the firmware update procedures themselves?
Have you already implemented support in phosphor-bmc-code-mgmt?  There
are other systems that have BIOS update for x86 done in that repository.

> - Control boot EEPROM based on current input GPIO and log the
> information into Redfish
> (https://github.com/ampere-openbmc/ampere-platform-mgmt/tree/ampere/altra/host-control/scp-failover)

This looks like something that could be implemented with
phosphor-gpio-monitor.  Have you looked at that?

> - Handle boot progress from Ampere's Altra SMpro, log the progress into
> Redfish and update dbus. Note that the boot progress is based on
> information from EDK2 and other firmware like ATF and SMpro.

You can probably fit this into the existing post-code repositories:
    - phosphor-host-postd
    - phosphor-post-code-manager

We recently did similar for a system where we get the post codes over
IPMB rather than GPIOs.

> - Handle events from Ampere Altra's SMpro (like Sideband controller) and
> log to IPMI SEL and Redfish.

This sounds like it should go into ampere-ipmi-oem?  I'm making an
assumption that the SMpro is an IPMB path, which might be wrong.

--
Patrick Williams

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Request to create ampere-platform-mgmt and ampere-ipmi-oem repos
@ 2021-05-03 14:33 ` Brad Bishop
From: Brad Bishop @ 2021-05-03 14:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thang Nguyen; +Cc: OpenBMC Maillist

On Fri, Apr 16, 2021 at 09:05:36AM +0700, Thang Nguyen wrote:
>Hi Brad,
>
>Can you help create 2 new repositories for Ampere specific codes:
>
>- ampere-platform-mgmt: contains codes for Ampere specific
>applications to monitor and control Ampere's Host like RAS error
>handling, Temp event, ...
>
>- ampere-ipmi-oem: contains codes for Ampere specific IPMI command support.

ampere-ipmi-oem is ready for your use.

thx - brad

* Re: Request to create ampere-platform-mgmt and ampere-ipmi-oem repos
@ 2021-05-04  1:45   ` Thang Nguyen
From: Thang Nguyen @ 2021-05-04  1:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brad Bishop; +Cc: OpenBMC Maillist

On 03/05/2021 21:33, Brad Bishop wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 16, 2021 at 09:05:36AM +0700, Thang Nguyen wrote:
>> Hi Brad,
>>
>> Can you help create 2 new repositories for Ampere specific codes:
>>
>> - ampere-platform-mgmt: contains codes for Ampere specific
>> applications to monitor and control Ampere's Host like RAS error
>> handling, Temp event, ...
>>
>> - ampere-ipmi-oem: contains codes for Ampere specific IPMI command
>> support.
>
> ampere-ipmi-oem is ready for your use.
>
> thx - brad
Thanks Brad

* Re: Request to create ampere-platform-mgmt and ampere-ipmi-oem repos
@ 2021-05-04  1:47       ` Thang Nguyen
From: Thang Nguyen @ 2021-05-04  1:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Patrick Williams; +Cc: OpenBMC Maillist, bradleyb

On 30/04/2021 21:25, Patrick Williams wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 24, 2021 at 07:48:14PM +0700, Thang Nguyen wrote:
>> I intend to push Ampere specific features, you can find current codes at
>> https://github.com/ampere-openbmc/ampere-platform-mgmt.
> It seems to me like all of the functional areas you mentioned we already
> have some sort of implementation.  It would be better if you could work
> with the maintainers on these repositories to see how it can be enhanced
> to support your use case.  As I mentioned in another email thread today,
> I really don't want to see catch-all repositories being created.
>
> If you have specific features that aren't covered by an existing
> repository or you feel like you've ran into a roadblock coming to
> consensus with the developers already working in those areas, we should
> revisit making repositories for those specific functional areas.
>
>> It is good to have any of below can be implemented with current existing
>> repositories:
>>
>> - utilities to flash Ampere Host firmware and NVPARM: Boot EEPROM,
>> UEFI/ATF firmware, ...
> Are these extra utilities or the firmware update procedures themselves?
> Have you already implemented support in phosphor-bmc-code-mgmt?  There
> are other systems that have BIOS update for x86 done in that repository.
>
>> - Control boot EEPROM based on current input GPIO and log the
>> information into Redfish
>> (https://github.com/ampere-openbmc/ampere-platform-mgmt/tree/ampere/altra/host-control/scp-failover)
> This looks like something that could be implemented with
> phosphor-gpio-monitor.  Have you looked at that?
>
>> - Handle boot progress from Ampere's Altra SMpro, log the progress into
>> Redfish and update dbus. Note that the boot progress is based on
>> information from EDK2 and other firmware like ATF and SMpro.
> You can probably fit this into the existing post-code repositories:
>      - phosphor-host-postd
>      - phosphor-post-code-manager
>
> We recently did similar for a system where we get the post codes over
> IPMB rather than GPIOs.
Thanks Patrick for the information. Let me investigate more on these
repositories to see if I can use them for Ampere specific requirements.

@ 2021-05-11  9:00         ` Thang Nguyen
From: Thang Nguyen @ 2021-05-11  9:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openbmc

On 04/05/2021 08:47, Thang Nguyen wrote:

> On 30/04/2021 21:25, Patrick Williams wrote:
>> On Sat, Apr 24, 2021 at 07:48:14PM +0700, Thang Nguyen wrote:
>>> I intend to push Ampere specific features, you can find current
>>> codes at
>>> https://github.com/ampere-openbmc/ampere-platform-mgmt.
>> It seems to me like all of the functional areas you mentioned we already
>> have some sort of implementation.  It would be better if you could work
>> with the maintainers on these repositories to see how it can be enhanced
>> to support your use case.  As I mentioned in another email thread today,
>> I really don't want to see catch-all repositories being created.
>>
>> If you have specific features that aren't covered by an existing
>> repository or you feel like you've ran into a roadblock coming to
>> consensus with the developers already working in those areas, we should
>> revisit making repositories for those specific functional areas.
>>
>>> It is good to have any of below can be implemented with current
>>> existing
>>> repositories:
>>>
>>> - utilities to flash Ampere Host firmware and NVPARM: Boot EEPROM,
>>> UEFI/ATF firmware, ...
>> Are these extra utilities or the firmware update procedures themselves?
>> Have you already implemented support in phosphor-bmc-code-mgmt? There
>> are other systems that have BIOS update for x86 done in that repository.

I use the repo also. And I extend the firmware update (by patches) to
support flashing Boot EEPROM.

I use flashcp to write the firmware into Host SPI-NOR. But the command
does not support to skip an offset. For example, I want to skip first
4MB so that the current BIOS setting is not cleared. Any other tool to
support it?

>>> - Control boot EEPROM based on current input GPIO and log the
>>> information into Redfish
>>> (https://github.com/ampere-openbmc/ampere-platform-mgmt/tree/ampere/altra/host-control/scp-failover)
>>>
>> This looks like something that could be implemented with
>> phosphor-gpio-monitor.  Have you looked at that?
Yes, I think it is feasible to use phosphor-gpio-monitor to monitor the
GPIO and switch the Boot EEPROM. And use logger-systemd to log Redfish
events.

>>> - Handle boot progress from Ampere's Altra SMpro, log the progress into
>>> Redfish and update dbus. Note that the boot progress is based on
>>> information from EDK2 and other firmware like ATF and SMpro.
>> You can probably fit this into the existing post-code repositories:
>>      - phosphor-host-postd
>>      - phosphor-post-code-manager
>>
>> We recently did similar for a system where we get the post codes over
>> IPMB rather than GPIOs.
I read the design document at
https://github.com/openbmc/docs/blob/master/designs/multi-host-postcode.md.
As I understand, it is for POST (Power On Self Test) but I want to
monitor boot progress and log events. I have boot-progress information
from the hwmon misc device. It is on the SoC sideband interface.
> Thanks Patrick for the information. Let me investigate more on these
> repositories to see if I can use them for Ampere specific requirements.
>>> - Handle events from Ampere Altra's SMpro (like Sideband controller)
>>> and
>>> log to IPMI SEL and Redfish.
>> This sounds like it should go into ampere-ipmi-oem?  I'm making an
>> assumption that the SMpro is an IPMB path, which might be wrong.
Yes, it is on the SoC sideband interface to monitor and report RAS
errors. We implemented smpro-errmon driver that expose RAS error
information over /sys/class/hwmon. IPMI OEM seems not match this case.

* Re: Request to create ampere-platform-mgmt and ampere-ipmi-oem repos
@ 2021-06-07  8:45   ` Thang Nguyen
From: Thang Nguyen @ 2021-06-07  8:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brad Bishop; +Cc: OpenBMC Maillist

On 03/05/2021 21:33, Brad Bishop wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 16, 2021 at 09:05:36AM +0700, Thang Nguyen wrote:
>> Hi Brad,
>>
>> Can you help create 2 new repositories for Ampere specific codes:
>>
>> - ampere-platform-mgmt: contains codes for Ampere specific
>> applications to monitor and control Ampere's Host like RAS error
>> handling, Temp event, ...
>>
>> - ampere-ipmi-oem: contains codes for Ampere specific IPMI command
>> support.
>
> ampere-ipmi-oem is ready for your use.
>
> thx - brad

Hi Brad,

Can you help enable CI for the ampere-ipmi-oem repo? It does not trigger
CI when adding new patch in gerrit.

Thx - ThangQ

* Re: Request to create ampere-platform-mgmt and ampere-ipmi-oem repos
@ 2021-06-07 12:59     ` Andrew Geissler
From: Andrew Geissler @ 2021-06-07 12:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thang Nguyen; +Cc: OpenBMC Maillist, Brad Bishop

> On Jun 7, 2021, at 3:45 AM, Thang Nguyen <thang@os.amperecomputing.com> wrote:
>

> On 03/05/2021 21:33, Brad Bishop wrote:
>> On Fri, Apr 16, 2021 at 09:05:36AM +0700, Thang Nguyen wrote:
>>> Hi Brad,
>>>
>>> Can you help create 2 new repositories for Ampere specific codes:
>>>
>>> - ampere-platform-mgmt: contains codes for Ampere specific applications to monitor and control Ampere's Host like RAS error handling, Temp event, ...
>>>
>>> - ampere-ipmi-oem: contains codes for Ampere specific IPMI command support.
>>
>> ampere-ipmi-oem is ready for your use.
>>
>> thx - brad
>
> Hi Brad,
>
> Can you help enable CI for the ampere-ipmi-oem repo? It does not trigger CI when adding new patch in gerrit.

Done