openbmc.lists.ozlabs.org archive mirror
* Removing watchdog and ipmi
@ 2020-09-16 21:55 Mike Jones
From: Mike Jones @ 2020-09-16 21:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: OpenBMC Maillist

Hi,

What is the proper way to remove phosphor-watchdog and ipmi from a project?

The goal is to not have the watchdog interfere in a raspberrypi project because there is no host, and there is no need for ipmi for my purposes.

I have created host-poweron and host-poweroff services and can manually start/stop them and see my regulators go on/off. I want the webui server power widget to power on/off using these services, but I think the watchdog is interfering. My understanding is obmc-chassis-poweron/off will trigger host-poweron/off.

Based on meta-quanta, I don’t see any other services I have to define to hook up host-poweron/off. This is why I think removing the watchdog is enough. But if there is any other interfering factor in a hostless system, I need to know that as well.

Mike

* Re: Removing watchdog and ipmi
@ 2020-09-17 22:25 ` Joseph Reynolds
From: Joseph Reynolds @ 2020-09-17 22:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mike Jones, OpenBMC Maillist, Brad Bishop

On 9/16/20 4:55 PM, Mike Jones wrote:
> Hi,
>
> What is the proper way to remove phosphor-watchdog and ipmi from a project?

I'm not an expert, but it seems like you would create a bbappend (maybe
in the raspberry pi layer?) for
https://github.com/openbmc/openbmc/blob/master/meta-phosphor/recipes-phosphor/ipmi/phosphor-ipmi-host_git.bb
This append would undo the effect of: RDEPENDS_${PN} +=
"virtual/obmc-watchdog"
In this way, the phosphor-ipmi-host package would not pull in the
watchdog package.

But you probably just need to remove phosphor-ipmi-host and
phosphor-watchdog (via virtual/obmc-watchdog) will no longer be pulled
into the image.

To remove phosphor-ipmi-host you would do something like: DEPENDS -=
"phosphor-ipmi-host".

I hope someone who knows will tell us how to really do it!

- Joseph

@ 2020-09-17 22:37   ` Mike
From: Mike @ 2020-09-17 22:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joseph Reynolds; +Cc: OpenBMC Maillist, Brad Bishop

Joseph,

I was able to get watchdog out, thanks.

I still can’t reboot through the webui, but that is probably because it eventually a service expects the host to chat over ipmi. However, I see my supplies power off and prove my host-poweroff.service works, confirming how things are connected.

Since my goal is to demonstrate how to integrate my products, this is probably good enough. But it does show that a system design without a host has more plumbing required to get things to work. For an FPGA or ASIC it might be a service acting like a host but monitoring GPIO pins.

If anyone knows of a similar service that plays the role of host, I would like to look at it.

Mike

Sent from my iPhone