openbmc.lists.ozlabs.org archive mirror
* Does openbmc implement NC-SI over MCTP over SMBus to obtain information?
@ 2021-02-06  8:33 www
From: www @ 2021-02-06  8:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openbmc

Dear all,

Does openbmc implement NC-SI over MCTP over SMBus to obtain information?

thanks,
Byron

* Re: Does openbmc implement NC-SI over MCTP over SMBus to obtain information?
@ 2021-02-09  0:41 ` Andrew Jeffery
From: Andrew Jeffery @ 2021-02-09  0:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: www, openbmc

On Sat, 6 Feb 2021, at 19:03, www wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> Does openbmc implement NC-SI over MCTP over SMBus to obtain information?

Unfortunately not. There is an out-of-tree implementation of the SMBus MCTP
binding, but that needs some effort put into it for it to go anywhere. We're
likely to see a socket-based AF_MCTP implementation before SMBus support is
merged in libmctp for the purposes of OpenBMC.

I haven't yet heard of anyone running NC-SI over MCTP so you might be breaking
new ground on that front too :)

Cheers,

Andrew

* Re: Does openbmc implement NC-SI over MCTP over SMBus to obtain information?
@ 2021-02-09  1:02   ` Patrick Williams
From: Patrick Williams @ 2021-02-09  1:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Jeffery; +Cc: www, openbmc, benwei, amithash

On Tue, Feb 09, 2021 at 11:11:57AM +1030, Andrew Jeffery wrote:

> On Sat, 6 Feb 2021, at 19:03, www wrote:
> > Dear all,
> >
> > Does openbmc implement NC-SI over MCTP over SMBus to obtain information?
>
> Unfortunately not. There is an out-of-tree implementation of the SMBus MCTP
> binding, but that needs some effort put into it for it to go anywhere. We're
> likely to see a socket-based AF_MCTP implementation before SMBus support is
> merged in libmctp for the purposes of OpenBMC.
>
> I haven't yet heard of anyone running NC-SI over MCTP so you might be breaking
> new ground on that front too :)

CCing Ben and Amithash.  I think we added some code recently on top of
the Intel-BMC/libmctp to talk to an NC-SI NIC.

--
Patrick Williams

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* RE: Does openbmc implement NC-SI over MCTP over SMBus to obtain information?
@ 2021-02-09 18:18     ` Ben Wei
From: Ben Wei @ 2021-02-09 18:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Patrick Williams, Andrew Jeffery; +Cc: www, openbmc, Amithash Prasad

> On Tue, Feb 09, 2021 at 11:11:57AM +1030, Andrew Jeffery wrote:
> >

> > On Sat, 6 Feb 2021, at 19:03, www wrote:
> > > Dear all,
> > >
> > > Does openbmc implement NC-SI over MCTP over SMBus to obtain information?
> >
> > Unfortunately not. There is an out-of-tree implementation of the SMBus MCTP
> > binding, but that needs some effort put into it for it to go anywhere. We're
> > likely to see a socket-based AF_MCTP implementation before SMBus support is
> > merged in libmctp for the purposes of OpenBMC.
> >
> > I haven't yet heard of anyone running NC-SI over MCTP so you might be breaking
> > new ground on that front too :)
>
> CCing Ben and Amithash.  I think we added some code recently on top of
> the Intel-BMC/libmctp to talk to an NC-SI NIC.

We're using Intel-BMC/libmctp stack to enable PLDM firmware update over MCTP so we can support out-of-band firmware update.
We currently don't have any use cases for NC-SI traffic over MCTP so we haven't try to enable this.

-Ben