openbmc.lists.ozlabs.org archive mirror
* Re:  cannot modify the files in the overlay file system
       [not found] <ME2PR01MB56196A14C09EA4391F4C04E0FE3D9@ME2PR01MB5619.ausprd01.prod.outlook.com>
@ 2021-06-08  6:06 ` Milton Miller II
From: Milton Miller II @ 2021-06-08  6:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 周 远清; +Cc: uperic, openbmc

On June 2, 2021, <zhouyuanqing8@outlook.com> wrote:
> Hi Team,
>

>    mount command is follow: mount -t overlay overlay -o
>redirect_dir=on,index=on,lowerdir=/run/initramfs/ro/usr/bin,upperdir=
>/run/initramfs/rw/cow1,workdir=/run/initramfs/rw/work1
>/run/initramfs/rw/merged

This seems to create an overlay for /usr/bin and mounts
it at /run/initramfs/rw/merged.

There seems to be some confusion, as the default mtd-static
build with the obmc-phosphor-initfs recipe will create an
initramfs that mounts with similar names and has the whole
file system mounted writable.

Can you confirm are you using the base layout (static mtd partitions)
or are you using the distro feature for s mmc or ubi (or some other
layout custom for your board)?

>    After I mounted the overlay file system , I used vi to open the
>file (vi xxx.sh) in the merged directory, and then when I saved it,
>it prompted "'xxx.sh Invalid argument". Can you help me solve this
>problem?

>    On my system, this problem occurs probabilistically on openbmc
>2.8.0, and the probability is very low; but on openbmc 2.9.0, it must
>occur.
>

>    openbmc release version :2.9.0
>    kernel version:5.10.14。

There was an issue with overlays before but those should be fixed before
5.10.

milton

@ 2021-06-08  6:07 ` Joel Stanley
From: Joel Stanley @ 2021-06-08  6:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 周 远清; +Cc: uperic, openbmc

On Wed, 2 Jun 2021 at 12:43, 周 远清 <zhouyuanqing8@outlook.com> wrote:

> Hi Team,
>
>    mount command is follow:
>
> mount -t overlay overlay -o redirect_dir=on,index=on,lowerdir=/run/initramfs/ro/usr/bin,upperdir=/run/initramfs/rw/cow1,workdir=/run/initramfs/rw/work1 /run/initramfs/rw/merged
>

>    After I mounted the overlay file system , I used vi to open the file (vi xxx.sh) in the merged directory, and then when I saved it, it prompted "'xxx.sh Invalid argument". Can you help me solve this problem?
>
>    On my system, this problem occurs probabilistically on openbmc 2.8.0, and the probability is very low; but on openbmc 2.9.0, it must occur.
>
>    openbmc release version :2.9.0
>    kernel version:5.10.14。

This kernel has known bugs and security vulnerabilities. I suggest
moving your kernel to the latest form dev-5.10 by cherry picking this
commit into your openbmc tree and re-testing:

git fetch origin
git checkout 25633f1351521fd26469b21ddbe339e3f874182d --
meta-aspeed/recipes-kernel/linux/linux-aspeed_git.bb
git commit -sm "meta-aspeed: Update to latest kernel"

See if that fixes your issue.

My guess is you're using JFFS2, and you lack a fix that was included
as of v5.10.36.

Cheers,

Joel