openbmc.lists.ozlabs.org archive mirror
* Announcing gpioplus
@ 2018-08-22  3:20 William Kennington
From: William Kennington @ 2018-08-22  3:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openbmc

Yet another c++ wrapper in a series of changes I've been working on to
make ergonomic c++ abstractions for commonly used library functions.
This project intends to provide a simple c++ interface around the
existing linux userspace gpiolib syscalls. The functionality is
complete and the tests cover the entire interface.

As usual, please let me know what you think of the project. It currently
resides at https://github.com/wak-google/gpioplus. This should find
a new home at https://github.com/openbmc/gpioplus if it receives
good feedback.

Thanks,
William

* Re: Announcing gpioplus
@ 2018-08-22 14:00 ` Patrick Venture
From: Patrick Venture @ 2018-08-22 14:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: William Kennington; +Cc: OpenBMC Maillist

On Tue, Aug 21, 2018 at 8:21 PM William Kennington <wak@google.com> wrote:

> Yet another c++ wrapper in a series of changes I've been working on to
> make ergonomic c++ abstractions for commonly used library functions.
> This project intends to provide a simple c++ interface around the
> existing linux userspace gpiolib syscalls. The functionality is
> complete and the tests cover the entire interface.
>
> As usual, please let me know what you think of the project. It currently
> resides at https://github.com/wak-google/gpioplus. This should find
> a new home at https://github.com/openbmc/gpioplus if it receives
> good feedback.

+1 to this.

> Thanks,
> William

* Re: Announcing gpioplus
@ 2018-08-27 21:58   ` Kun Yi
From: Kun Yi @ 2018-08-27 21:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Patrick Venture; +Cc: William Kennington, OpenBMC Maillist

Great effort! I think it would be more effective to remind people to
convert to these new libraries during code reviews. The recently under
review x86 control daemon would be such an example:
*https://gerrit.openbmc-project.xyz/c/openbmc/x86-power-control/+/11746/

On Wed, Aug 22, 2018 at 7:02 AM Patrick Venture <venture@google.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 21, 2018 at 8:21 PM William Kennington <wak@google.com> wrote:
> >
> > Yet another c++ wrapper in a series of changes I've been working on to
> > make ergonomic c++ abstractions for commonly used library functions.
> > This project intends to provide a simple c++ interface around the
> > existing linux userspace gpiolib syscalls. The functionality is
> > complete and the tests cover the entire interface.
> >
> > As usual, please let me know what you think of the project. It currently
> > resides at https://github.com/wak-google/gpioplus. This should find
> > a new home at https://github.com/openbmc/gpioplus if it receives
> > good feedback.
>
> +1 to this.
>

> > Thanks,
> > William

Kun

* RE: Announcing gpioplus
@ 2018-08-28  6:27     ` Tanous, Ed
From: Tanous, Ed @ 2018-08-28  6:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kun Yi, Patrick Venture; +Cc: OpenBMC Maillist, William Kennington

I think the most effective way to get this moving would be to start sending pull requests to the existing places that you think would benefit from this library.  That would give concrete examples of its use, and prove its usefulness a lot more than anything else.  It would also be a great answer to "Why do we need yet another library?" as I'm guessing it would show considerably reduced complexity or more flexibility over dealing with raw GPIO, which I'm hoping would be apparent in the code reviews.  It would also give some great porting examples for those looking at porting things over to the library.

-Ed