openbmc.lists.ozlabs.org archive mirror
From: Nan Zhou <nanzhou@google.com>
To: Ed Tanous <ed@tanous.net>
Cc: "Alan Kuo (郭振維)" <Alan_Kuo@quantatw.com>,
	"openbmc@lists.ozlabs.org" <openbmc@lists.ozlabs.org>,
	"edtanous@google.com" <edtanous@google.com>
Subject: Re: [phosphor-virtual-sensor] get sensor service fail
Date: Thu, 8 Apr 2021 10:11:27 -0700	[thread overview]

Hi Ed,

Thanks for your reply.

Alan and I were talking about what attribute we should use for "the time
that an event occurred", "Created" or "EventTimestamp". Both attributes in
the Redfish schema are optional, my understanding after reading the
description was that "Created" is when the LogEntry gets created in the
LogEntryCollection in the web server (BmcWeb); IIUC, in BmcWeb, new Log
Entries are not created until they get queried; "EventTimestamp" on the
other hand is when an event originally occurred.

The context is that we are implementing both the PULL model and PUSH model
of Redfish POST codes and Host Serial Logs, and we care about when events
occurred in both models.  In the PUSH model, the web server will send an
array of "Event", in which there is an "EventTimestamp" attribute that we
can use for each event. In the PULL model, we will query the
LogEntryCollection in LogService, and currently, there is only "Created"
but not "EventTimestamp" in BmcWeb. So we are sending this email to ask for
comments.

> > We think that using “EventTimestamp” will be more suitable than
> “Created” in LogServices.
> Why?  Can you give more details here on what you're trying to accomplish?

We are talking about the following three options,

1. change all the current "Created" attributes in BmcWeb LogService to
"EventTimestamp"
2. keep "Created" as is; add a new attribute "EventTimestamp"
3. keep everything as is; use "Created" to represent "the time that an
event occurred"

We are fine with either of the three options. The email is to ask the
upstream and look for opinions from people.

Thanks,
Nan