openbmc.lists.ozlabs.org archive mirror
* [phosphor-sel-logger] How to add a journal entry manually
@ 2021-10-25 11:02 Chris Chen (TPI)
From: Chris Chen (TPI) @ 2021-10-25 11:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openbmc

Hi all,

I for now have added rsyslog and phosphor-sel-logger packages to build the image, then I could see the xyz.openbmc_project.Logging.IPMI through the busctl command after the system runs up.

From this link, https://lists.ozlabs.org/pipermail/openbmc/2019-October/018640.html, I understand that I should be able to add a journal entry that has the IPMI SEL MESSAGE_ID: "b370836ccf2f4850ac5bee185b77893a" to test the feature, but I don't know to give the correct parameters to the method call, IpmiSelAdd, as below,

~# busctl call xyz.openbmc_project.Logging.IPMI /xyz/openbmc_project/Logging/IPMI xyz.openbmc_project.Logging.IPMI IpmiSelAdd xxx

Could someone help me out on this? Thank you.

Regards,
Chris Chen.

Legal Disclaimer :
The information contained in this message may be privileged and confidential.
It is intended to be read only by the individual or entity to whom it is addressed
or by their designee. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient,
you are on notice that any distribution of this message, in any form,
please immediately notify the sender and delete or destroy any copy of this message!

* Re: [phosphor-sel-logger] How to add a journal entry manually
@ 2021-10-25 21:07 ` Bills, Jason M
From: Bills, Jason M @ 2021-10-25 21:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openbmc

On 10/25/2021 5:02 AM, Chris Chen (TPI) wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I for now have added rsyslog and phosphor-sel-logger packages to build
> the image, then I could see the xyz.openbmc_project.Logging.IPMI through
> the busctl command after the system runs up.
>
>  From this link,
> https://lists.ozlabs.org/pipermail/openbmc/2019-October/018640.html
> <https://lists.ozlabs.org/pipermail/openbmc/2019-October/018640.html>, I
> understand that I should be able to add a journal entry that has the
> IPMI SEL MESSAGE_ID: "b370836ccf2f4850ac5bee185b77893a" to test the
> feature, but I don't know to give the correct parameters to the method
> call, IpmiSelAdd, as below,
>
> ~# busctl call xyz.openbmc_project.Logging.IPMI
> /xyz/openbmc_project/Logging/IPMI xyz.openbmc_project.Logging.IPMI
> IpmiSelAdd xxx
>
> Could someone help me out on this? Thank you.
You can find the implementation for IpmiSelAdd, here:
https://github.com/openbmc/phosphor-sel-logger/blob/master/src/sel_logger.cpp#L270.

"IpmiSelAdd", [](const std::string& message, const std::string& path,
                     const std::vector<uint8_t>& selData,
                     const bool& assert, const uint16_t& genId)

Where
message = the string to set as the MESSAGE in the journal
path = the D-Bus path to the sensor that logged the event
selData = the raw bytes of the IPMI SEL entry
assert = the event direction of the SEL event
genId = the Generator ID for the SEL event

The busctl format is 'ssaybq', so a sample command is
busctl call xyz.openbmc_project.Logging.IPMI
/xyz/openbmc_project/Logging/IPMI xyz.openbmc_project.Logging.IPMI
IpmiSelAdd ssaybq "helloworld" "/xyz/openbmc_project/Test" 3 16 32 64
true 0x81

This should add an IPMI message to the journal that is picked up by
rsyslog and sent to /var/log/ipmi_sel like this:

root@intel-obmc:~# cat /var/log/ipmi_sel
2021-08-20T01:16:48.747428+00:00 1,2,102040,81,/xyz/openbmc_project/Test,1

> Regards,
>
> Chris Chen.
>
> Legal Disclaimer :
> The information contained in this message may be privileged and
> confidential.
> It is intended to be read only by the individual or entity to whom it is
> addressed
> or by their designee. If the reader of this message is not the intended
> recipient,
> you are on notice that any distribution of this message, in any form,
> is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error,
> please immediately notify the sender and delete or destroy any copy of
> this message!

* Re: [Phishing Risk] [External] Re: [phosphor-sel-logger] How to add a journal entry manually
@ 2021-10-26  2:38   ` Lei Yu
From: Lei Yu @ 2021-10-26  2:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bills, Jason M; +Cc: openbmc

On Tue, Oct 26, 2021 at 5:09 AM Bills, Jason M
<jason.m.bills@linux.intel.com> wrote:

> On 10/25/2021 5:02 AM, Chris Chen (TPI) wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I for now have added rsyslog and phosphor-sel-logger packages to build
> > the image, then I could see the xyz.openbmc_project.Logging.IPMI through
> > the busctl command after the system runs up.
> >
> >  From this link,
> > https://lists.ozlabs.org/pipermail/openbmc/2019-October/018640.html
> > <https://lists.ozlabs.org/pipermail/openbmc/2019-October/018640.html>, I
> > understand that I should be able to add a journal entry that has the
> > IPMI SEL MESSAGE_ID: "b370836ccf2f4850ac5bee185b77893a" to test the
> > feature, but I don't know to give the correct parameters to the method
> > call, IpmiSelAdd, as below,
> >
> > ~# busctl call xyz.openbmc_project.Logging.IPMI
> > /xyz/openbmc_project/Logging/IPMI xyz.openbmc_project.Logging.IPMI
> > IpmiSelAdd xxx
> >
> > Could someone help me out on this? Thank you.
> You can find the implementation for IpmiSelAdd, here:
> https://github.com/openbmc/phosphor-sel-logger/blob/master/src/sel_logger.cpp#L270.
>
> "IpmiSelAdd", [](const std::string& message, const std::string& path,
>                      const std::vector<uint8_t>& selData,
>                      const bool& assert, const uint16_t& genId)
>
> Where
> message = the string to set as the MESSAGE in the journal
> path = the D-Bus path to the sensor that logged the event
> selData = the raw bytes of the IPMI SEL entry
> assert = the event direction of the SEL event
> genId = the Generator ID for the SEL event
>
> The busctl format is 'ssaybq', so a sample command is
> busctl call xyz.openbmc_project.Logging.IPMI
> /xyz/openbmc_project/Logging/IPMI xyz.openbmc_project.Logging.IPMI
> IpmiSelAdd ssaybq "helloworld" "/xyz/openbmc_project/Test" 3 16 32 64
> true 0x81
>
> This should add an IPMI message to the journal that is picked up by
> rsyslog and sent to /var/log/ipmi_sel like this:
>
> root@intel-obmc:~# cat /var/log/ipmi_sel
> 2021-08-20T01:16:48.747428+00:00 1,2,102040,81,/xyz/openbmc_project/Test,1

There is a configuration option send-to-logger[1] that changes the
behavior of `IpmiSelAdd`.
With the config enabled, `IpmiSelAdd()` sends the log to
phosphor-logging service and becomes an entry in
/xyz/openbmc_project/logging/entry/, instead of saving the message in
/var/log/ipmi_sel.
And ipmid will parse the entry into an SEL record.

[1]: https://github.com/openbmc/phosphor-sel-logger/blob/master/meson.build#L31

--
BRs,
Lei YU

* 回覆: [Phishing Risk] [External] Re: [phosphor-sel-logger] How to add a journal entry manually
@ 2021-10-26  6:14     ` Chris Chen (TPI)
From: Chris Chen (TPI) @ 2021-10-26  6:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lei Yu, Bills, Jason M; +Cc: openbmc

Hi Jason and Lei Yu,

Thanks for your sharing.

I am able to see the sel in the /var/log/ipmi_sel as same as Jason mentioned and also see the sel by the "ipmitool sel list" command.

However, for Lei's suggestion of adding "send-to-logger" configuration, I really can see it becomes an entry in /xyz/openbmc_project/logging/entry/X rather than saving the message in the /var/log/ipmi_sel, but I can't see any sel entry by the "ipmitool sel list" command. It looks like the ipmid doesn't parse the entry into an SEL record. Is it the sel entry I added (busctl call xyz.openbmc_project.Logging.IPMI /xyz/openbmc_project/Logging/IPMI xyz.openbmc_project.Logging.IPMI IpmiSelAdd ssaybq "helloworld" "/xyz/openbmc_project/Test" 3 16 32 64 true 0x81) just a sample not a formal info? or due to other reasons?

Regards,
Chris Chen

________________________________
寄件者: openbmc <openbmc-bounces+chris.chen3=flex.com@lists.ozlabs.org> 代表 Lei Yu <yulei.sh@bytedance.com>
寄件日期: 2021年10月26日 上午 10:38
收件者: Bills, Jason M <jason.m.bills@linux.intel.com>
副本: openbmc <openbmc@lists.ozlabs.org>
主旨: Re: [Phishing Risk] [External] Re: [phosphor-sel-logger] How to add a journal entry manually

[1]: https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://github.com/openbmc/phosphor-sel-logger/blob/master/meson.build*L31__;Iw!!HSntlCg!DmYViJwyTbSsZw5NvzcDb2b4At-l1AU-wcwYn0FkzpUrMoBY6yH3Wa8oWERbrnIZ$

--
BRs,
Lei YU

@ 2021-10-26  6:24       ` Lei YU
From: Lei YU @ 2021-10-26  6:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chris Chen (TPI); +Cc: Bills, Jason M, Lei Yu, openbmc

On Tue, Oct 26, 2021 at 2:16 PM Chris Chen (TPI) <Chris.Chen3@flex.com> wrote:

> Hi Jason and Lei Yu,
>
> Thanks for your sharing.
>
> I am able to see the sel in the /var/log/ipmi_sel as same as Jason mentioned and also see the sel by the "ipmitool sel list" command.
>
> However, for Lei's suggestion of adding "send-to-logger" configuration, I really can see it becomes an entry in /xyz/openbmc_project/logging/entry/X rather than saving the message in the /var/log/ipmi_sel, but I can't see any sel entry by the "ipmitool sel list" command. It looks like the ipmid doesn't parse the entry into an SEL record. Is it the sel entry I added (busctl call xyz.openbmc_project.Logging.IPMI /xyz/openbmc_project/Logging/IPMI xyz.openbmc_project.Logging.IPMI IpmiSelAdd ssaybq "helloworld" "/xyz/openbmc_project/Test" 3 16 32 64 true 0x81) just a sample not a formal info? or due to other reasons?

It depends on the config of ipmid. You may be using the dynamic sensor
feature (FEATURE_DYNAMIC_SENSORS), which does not work with the above
case.
To make ipmid work with the logging entry -> SEL parsing, you need to
use the static sensors defined by yaml config, and then the code will
parse the logging entry into a SEL record.

* 回覆: [Phishing Risk] [External] Re: [phosphor-sel-logger] How to add a journal entry manually
@ 2021-10-26  8:39         ` Chris Chen (TPI)
From: Chris Chen (TPI) @ 2021-10-26  8:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lei YU; +Cc: openbmc