openbmc.lists.ozlabs.org archive mirror
* Dropping PECI patches
@ 2019-12-02  4:35 Joel Stanley
From: Joel Stanley @ 2019-12-02  4:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jae Hyun Yoo; +Cc: OpenBMC Maillist

Hi Jae,

As I have not seen an upstream submission of PECI for a number of
release cycles (since January, over 10 months ago) it will be dropped
from the OpenBMC kernel tree.

If you still want this code in the kernel you will need to make a new
upstream submission.

This aligns with the OpenBMC kernel development process, where a patch
is carried to assist developers who are actively working to get their
drivers merged upstream

Cheers,

Joel

* Re: Dropping PECI patches
@ 2019-12-02 18:09 ` Jae Hyun Yoo
From: Jae Hyun Yoo @ 2019-12-02 18:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joel Stanley; +Cc: OpenBMC Maillist

Hi Joel,

Thanks for letting me know this. Also, thanks a lot for carrying the
out-of-tree PECI patches in OpenBMC kernel tree so far.

Can I submit updated PECI patches to OpenBMC upstream if I'm gonna add
it back? Linux upstreaming isn't ready yet because configfs support
should be implemented to address subsystem maintainer's comments but it
needs at this moment in OpenBMC kernel tree to keep developing
dbus-sensors support.

Thanks,
Jae

On 12/1/2019 8:35 PM, Joel Stanley wrote:
> Hi Jae,
>
> As I have not seen an upstream submission of PECI for a number of
> release cycles (since January, over 10 months ago) it will be dropped
> from the OpenBMC kernel tree.
>
> If you still want this code in the kernel you will need to make a new
> upstream submission.
>
> This aligns with the OpenBMC kernel development process, where a patch
> is carried to assist developers who are actively working to get their
> drivers merged upstream
>
> Cheers,
>
> Joel

* Re: Dropping PECI patches
@ 2019-12-02 21:54   ` Joel Stanley
From: Joel Stanley @ 2019-12-02 21:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jae Hyun Yoo; +Cc: OpenBMC Maillist

On Mon, 2 Dec 2019 at 18:09, Jae Hyun Yoo <jae.hyun.yoo@linux.intel.com> wrote:

> Hi Joel,
>
> Thanks for letting me know this. Also, thanks a lot for carrying the
> out-of-tree PECI patches in OpenBMC kernel tree so far.
>
> Can I submit updated PECI patches to OpenBMC upstream if I'm gonna add
> it back? Linux upstreaming isn't ready yet because configfs support
> should be implemented to address subsystem maintainer's comments but it
> needs at this moment in OpenBMC kernel tree to keep developing
> dbus-sensors support.

This was the status back in January. I think it's time to find someone
to complete the work on PECI so it can be merged upstream.

Once those patches have been posted, we can merge them into the
openbmc tree while we wait for them to be merged into mainline.

> Thanks,
> Jae
>
> On 12/1/2019 8:35 PM, Joel Stanley wrote:
> > Hi Jae,
> >
> > As I have not seen an upstream submission of PECI for a number of
> > release cycles (since January, over 10 months ago) it will be dropped
> > from the OpenBMC kernel tree.
> >
> > If you still want this code in the kernel you will need to make a new
> > upstream submission.
> >
> > This aligns with the OpenBMC kernel development process, where a patch
> > is carried to assist developers who are actively working to get their
> > drivers merged upstream
> >
> > Cheers,
> >
> > Joel

* Re: Dropping PECI patches
@ 2019-12-03  1:25     ` Jae Hyun Yoo
From: Jae Hyun Yoo @ 2019-12-03  1:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joel Stanley; +Cc: OpenBMC Maillist

On 12/2/2019 1:54 PM, Joel Stanley wrote:
> On Mon, 2 Dec 2019 at 18:09, Jae Hyun Yoo <jae.hyun.yoo@linux.intel.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Joel,
>>
>> Thanks for letting me know this. Also, thanks a lot for carrying the
>> out-of-tree PECI patches in OpenBMC kernel tree so far.
>>
>> Can I submit updated PECI patches to OpenBMC upstream if I'm gonna add
>> it back? Linux upstreaming isn't ready yet because configfs support
>> should be implemented to address subsystem maintainer's comments but it
>> needs at this moment in OpenBMC kernel tree to keep developing
>> dbus-sensors support.
>
> This was the status back in January. I think it's time to find someone
> to complete the work on PECI so it can be merged upstream.
>
> Once those patches have been posted, we can merge them into the
> openbmc tree while we wait for them to be merged into mainline.

I've made lots of update in Intel downstream PECI to address
maintainers' comments except the configfs thing so I agree that PECI
codes in OpenBMC kernel tree need to be updated. Can you give me a week
for submission of new patch set into linux upstream? In the meantime,
I'd like to keep the out-of-tree PECI patches if possible to avoid build
breaks in dbus-sensors repo.

Thanks,
Jae

>> Thanks,
>> Jae
>>
>> On 12/1/2019 8:35 PM, Joel Stanley wrote:
>>> Hi Jae,
>>>
>>> As I have not seen an upstream submission of PECI for a number of
>>> release cycles (since January, over 10 months ago) it will be dropped
>>> from the OpenBMC kernel tree.
>>>
>>> If you still want this code in the kernel you will need to make a new
>>> upstream submission.
>>>
>>> This aligns with the OpenBMC kernel development process, where a patch
>>> is carried to assist developers who are actively working to get their
>>> drivers merged upstream
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>>
>>> Joel

* Re: Dropping PECI patches
@ 2019-12-03  2:47       ` Joel Stanley
From: Joel Stanley @ 2019-12-03  2:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jae Hyun Yoo; +Cc: OpenBMC Maillist

On Tue, 3 Dec 2019 at 01:25, Jae Hyun Yoo <jae.hyun.yoo@linux.intel.com> wrote:

> On 12/2/2019 1:54 PM, Joel Stanley wrote:
> > On Mon, 2 Dec 2019 at 18:09, Jae Hyun Yoo <jae.hyun.yoo@linux.intel.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> Hi Joel,
> >>
> >> Thanks for letting me know this. Also, thanks a lot for carrying the
> >> out-of-tree PECI patches in OpenBMC kernel tree so far.
> >>
> >> Can I submit updated PECI patches to OpenBMC upstream if I'm gonna add
> >> it back? Linux upstreaming isn't ready yet because configfs support
> >> should be implemented to address subsystem maintainer's comments but it
> >> needs at this moment in OpenBMC kernel tree to keep developing
> >> dbus-sensors support.
> >
> > This was the status back in January. I think it's time to find someone
> > to complete the work on PECI so it can be merged upstream.
> >
> > Once those patches have been posted, we can merge them into the
> > openbmc tree while we wait for them to be merged into mainline.
>
> I've made lots of update in Intel downstream PECI to address
> maintainers' comments except the configfs thing so I agree that PECI
> codes in OpenBMC kernel tree need to be updated. Can you give me a week
> for submission of new patch set into linux upstream? In the meantime,
> I'd like to keep the out-of-tree PECI patches if possible to avoid build
> breaks in dbus-sensors repo.

The build break of dbus-sensors has already held up moving to 5.4 for
a week. I think this situation is a clear demonstration of how
carrying out of tree patches for a long time slows down the
development of the entire project.

I will hold off moving to 5.4 for another week. Please keep us up to
date with your progress.

Cheers,

Joel

* Re: Dropping PECI patches
@ 2019-12-04 18:00         ` Jae Hyun Yoo
From: Jae Hyun Yoo @ 2019-12-04 18:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joel Stanley; +Cc: OpenBMC Maillist

On 12/2/2019 6:47 PM, Joel Stanley wrote:
> On Tue, 3 Dec 2019 at 01:25, Jae Hyun Yoo <jae.hyun.yoo@linux.intel.com> wrote:

>>> This was the status back in January. I think it's time to find someone
>>> to complete the work on PECI so it can be merged upstream.
>>>
>>> Once those patches have been posted, we can merge them into the
>>> openbmc tree while we wait for them to be merged into mainline.
>>
>> I've made lots of update in Intel downstream PECI to address
>> maintainers' comments except the configfs thing so I agree that PECI
>> codes in OpenBMC kernel tree need to be updated. Can you give me a week
>> for submission of new patch set into linux upstream? In the meantime,
>> I'd like to keep the out-of-tree PECI patches if possible to avoid build
>> breaks in dbus-sensors repo.
>
> The build break of dbus-sensors has already held up moving to 5.4 for
> a week. I think this situation is a clear demonstration of how
> carrying out of tree patches for a long time slows down the
> development of the entire project.
>
> I will hold off moving to 5.4 for another week. Please keep us up to
> date with your progress.

Thanks for your understanding and for your effort on carrying the
out-of-tree patch so far. I'll submit updated patch set into upstream
within a week.

Thanks,

Jae