openbmc.lists.ozlabs.org archive mirror
* Security Working Group meeting - Wednesday February 16
@ 2022-02-16 13:21 Joseph Reynolds
From: Joseph Reynolds @ 2022-02-16 13:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openbmc

This is a reminder of the OpenBMC Security Working Group meeting
scheduled for this Wednesday February 16 at 10:00am PDT.

We'll discuss the following items on the agenda
<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1b7x9BaxsfcukQDqbvZsU2ehMq4xoJRQvLxxsDUWmAOI>,
and anything else that comes up:

1.Do we need to discuss the concept and need for NoAccess users and how
they would be different from disabled BMC user accounts?  See discussion
in https://gerrit.openbmc-project.xyz/c/openbmc/bmcweb/+/49295
<https://gerrit.openbmc-project.xyz/c/openbmc/bmcweb/+/49295>

Access, agenda and notes are in the wiki:
https://github.com/openbmc/openbmc/wiki/Security-working-group
<https://github.com/openbmc/openbmc/wiki/Security-working-group>

- Joseph

* Re: Security Working Group meeting - Wednesday February 16 - results
@ 2022-02-16 19:31 ` Joseph Reynolds
From: Joseph Reynolds @ 2022-02-16 19:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openbmc

On 2/16/22 7:21 AM, Joseph Reynolds wrote:
> This is a reminder of the OpenBMC Security Working Group meeting
> scheduled for this Wednesday February 16 at 10:00am PDT.
>
> We'll discuss the following items on the agenda
> <https://docs.google.com/document/d/1b7x9BaxsfcukQDqbvZsU2ehMq4xoJRQvLxxsDUWmAOI>,
> and anything else that comes up:

Attended: Joseph, Daniil, Dhananjay, Dick, James, Jiang

> 1.Do we need to discuss the concept and need for NoAccess users and
> how they would be different from disabled BMC user accounts?  See
> discussion in
> https://gerrit.openbmc-project.xyz/c/openbmc/bmcweb/+/49295
> <https://gerrit.openbmc-project.xyz/c/openbmc/bmcweb/+/49295>

DISCUSSION:

Does the project have any NoAccess (priv-noaccess) users?

Is noaccess needed to implement IPMI Callback users?

Note that we prefer to disable ipmi users, not change their role.

Can ipmitool be used to create a callback user?  If so, what role does
phosphor-user-manager use for that user?

Is the IPMI callback role deprecated?  Can we remove it from OpenBMC?

Is callback needed to implement trusted system interfaces and
sessionless interfaces IPMB?

BONUS TOPICS:

2 Update on OpenBMC becoming a CNA.

James got CNA admin credentials, and is able to create test CVEs.

James is working on documentation for OpenBMC security responders who
work to create CVEs .  James is working to document the process for the
OpenBMC CNA to work with Mitre’s CVEs.  (For example, how OpenBMC will
reserve CVEs and ensure they are published in a timely manner.)

Next steps: (1) Document process steps in openbmc/docs.  (2) Reserve
CVEs for existing privately reported vulnerabilities.

3 Question: How does BMC respond to too many failed login attempts?

DISCUSSION: It uses (the deprecated module) pam_tally2 (and should move
to pam_faillock).

See
https://gerrit.openbmc-project.xyz/c/openbmc/phosphor-user-manager/+/39853
<https://gerrit.openbmc-project.xyz/c/openbmc/phosphor-user-manager/+/39853>
questions:

Background:
https://github.com/openbmc/docs/blob/master/architecture/user-management.md
<https://github.com/openbmc/docs/blob/master/architecture/user-management.md>

Note: The default is to not lock out users due to excessive password
attempts.

Joseph

> Access, agenda and notes are in the wiki:
> https://github.com/openbmc/openbmc/wiki/Security-working-group
> <https://github.com/openbmc/openbmc/wiki/Security-working-group>
>
> - Joseph

* Is priv-noaccess needed?
@ 2022-02-16 20:32   ` Joseph Reynolds
From: Joseph Reynolds @ 2022-02-16 20:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomaiyar, Richard Marian, openbmc, Vernon Mauery,
	Deepak Kodihalli, Ratan Gupta, Tom Joseph

User manager and IPMI maintainers (and please forward to additional
interested parties):

We are trying to understand how the NoAccess (priv-noaccess) role is
used in OpenBMC.  See the discussion below, the gerrit review, and the
IPMI questions.

What are the use cases?  What is this role used for?  If we need this
role, let's understand why.  Otherwise, can we deprecate this role and
remove it?

Joseph

On 2/16/22 7:21 AM, Joseph Reynolds wrote:
> This is a reminder of the OpenBMC Security Working Group meeting
> scheduled for this Wednesday February 16 at 10:00am PDT.
>
> We'll discuss the following items on the agenda
> <https://docs.google.com/document/d/1b7x9BaxsfcukQDqbvZsU2ehMq4xoJRQvLxxsDUWmAOI>,
> and anything else that comes up:

Attended: Joseph, Daniil, Dhananjay, Dick, James, Jiang

> 1.Do we need to discuss the concept and need for NoAccess users and
> how they would be different from disabled BMC user accounts?  See
> discussion in
> https://gerrit.openbmc-project.xyz/c/openbmc/bmcweb/+/49295
> <https://gerrit.openbmc-project.xyz/c/openbmc/bmcweb/+/49295>

DISCUSSION:

Does the project have any NoAccess (priv-noaccess) users?

Is noaccess needed to implement IPMI Callback users?

Note that we prefer to disable ipmi users, not change their role.

Can ipmitool be used to create a callback user?  If so, what role does
phosphor-user-manager use for that user?

Is the IPMI callback role deprecated?  Can we remove it from OpenBMC?

Is callback needed to implement trusted system interfaces and
sessionless interfaces IPMB?

...snip...

Joseph