openembedded-core.lists.openembedded.org archive mirror
* Drafting a fetcher for kernelcves
@ 2023-06-06  5:57 Marta Rybczynska
From: Marta Rybczynska @ 2023-06-06  5:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ross Burton, Richard Purdie, Yoann Congal, Geoffrey GIRY, OE-core

Hello all,
I'm drafting a fetcher for kernelcves  (
https://github.com/nluedtke/linux_kernel_cves/) and the data conflicts in a
certain way with cve-extra-exclusions.inc. With multiple fetchers we'll
need to have a way to say which data set has priority.

For now I can see examples of two cases (in all cases we go for a specific
kernel version):

Case one:
NVD says unfixed
linux_kernel_cves says unknown
cve-extra-exclusions.inc says IGNORE

Case two:
NVD says unfixed
linux_kernel_cves says fixed
cve-extra-exclusions says IGNORE

In the first case, the solutions is IGNORE (some old CVEs), in the second
one it's PATCHED.

The questions I have: Should cve-extra-exclusions always have priority?
Should we allow the user to set priority of fetchers?

What I'm going to test is use the kernel_cves fetcher for all kernel CVEs
and NVD for all  the rest. Should it be an option?

I'd like to avoid adding too many options that make cause mistakes...

Ideas? Comments?

Kind regards,
Marta

* Re: Drafting a fetcher for kernelcves
@ 2023-06-07 10:31 ` Ross Burton
From: Ross Burton @ 2023-06-07 10:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marta Rybczynska; +Cc: Richard Purdie, Yoann Congal, Geoffrey GIRY, OE-core

> On 6 Jun 2023, at 06:57, Marta Rybczynska <rybczynska@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hello all,
> I'm drafting a fetcher for kernelcves  (https://github.com/nluedtke/linux_kernel_cves/) and the data conflicts in a certain way with cve-extra-exclusions.inc. With multiple fetchers we'll need to have a way to say which data set has priority.
>
> For now I can see examples of two cases (in all cases we go for a specific kernel version):
>
> Case one:
> NVD says unfixed
> linux_kernel_cves says unknown
> cve-extra-exclusions.inc says IGNORE
>
> Case two:
> NVD says unfixed
> linux_kernel_cves says fixed
> cve-extra-exclusions says IGNORE
>
> In the first case, the solutions is IGNORE (some old CVEs), in the second one it's PATCHED.
>
> The questions I have: Should cve-extra-exclusions always have priority? Should we allow the user to set priority of fetchers?
>
> What I'm going to test is use the kernel_cves fetcher for all kernel CVEs and NVD for all  the rest. Should it be an option?
>
> I'd like to avoid adding too many options that make cause mistakes…

I’d suggest that the order of priority goes NVD, linux_kernel_cves, then metadata (typically cve-extra-exclusions).

With data from kernelcves being pulled in we should be able to purge most of the data in cve-extra-exclusions and only use it when we’ve backported/resolved a CVE that hasn’t been merged upstream.

Very pleased you’re working on fetching from kernelcves too, as manually maintaining the exclusions is tiresome.

Ross