outreachy.lists.linux.dev archive mirror
* Patching spelling errors
@ 2023-03-17 19:11 Mark Heim
From: Mark Heim @ 2023-03-17 19:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: outreachy

Hello Outreachy,

I have managed to identify at least 50 spelling errors in the Linux
Kernel, but possibly as many as hundreds using grep (I have been using grep
to wade through enormous amounts of text). If that is a worthwile
fix, or if anyone is interested in teaming up to dig through them, please
message me. (I am estimating there are about 15000 cases to dig through
by hand, but I won't know until I'm done grep-ing). Thank you for your time.

* Re: Patching spelling errors
@ 2023-03-17 20:01 ` Paul Moore
From: Paul Moore @ 2023-03-17 20:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark Heim; +Cc: outreachy

On Fri, Mar 17, 2023 at 3:12 PM Mark Heim <questioneight@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello Outreachy,
>
> I have managed to identify at least 50 spelling errors in the Linux
> Kernel, but possibly as many as hundreds using grep (I have been using grep
> to wade through enormous amounts of text). If that is a worthwile
> fix, or if anyone is interested in teaming up to dig through them, please
> message me. (I am estimating there are about 15000 cases to dig through
> by hand, but I won't know until I'm done grep-ing). Thank you for your time.

This won't necessarily ease the burden of reviewing all the spelling
errors, but have you tried codespell?  I'm guessing there are far more
than 50 types of misspellings in the kernel code ...

https://github.com/codespell-project/codespell

--
paul-moore.com

* Re: Patching spelling errors
@ 2023-03-17 20:18 ` Julia Lawall
From: Julia Lawall @ 2023-03-17 20:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark Heim; +Cc: outreachy

On Fri, 17 Mar 2023, Mark Heim wrote:

> Hello Outreachy,
>
> I have managed to identify at least 50 spelling errors in the Linux
> Kernel, but possibly as many as hundreds using grep (I have been using grep
> to wade through enormous amounts of text). If that is a worthwile
> fix, or if anyone is interested in teaming up to dig through them, please
> message me. (I am estimating there are about 15000 cases to dig through
> by hand, but I won't know until I'm done grep-ing). Thank you for your time.

Spelling mistakes are distracting and make it hard to grep for things, if
one expects them to be spelled correctly.  So it can be nice to fix them.
People seem to prefer that you fix all the mistakes per file, though.

But for the moment, please focus on drivers staging (and not the media
subdirectory).  That way, Greg will apply your patches.

julia

* Re: Patching spelling errors
@ 2023-03-17 20:57   ` Mark Heim
From: Mark Heim @ 2023-03-17 20:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Julia Lawall; +Cc: outreachy

On Fri, Mar 17, 2023 at 09:18:44PM +0100, Julia Lawall wrote:

> On Fri, 17 Mar 2023, Mark Heim wrote:
>
> > Hello Outreachy,
> >
> > I have managed to identify at least 50 spelling errors in the Linux
> > Kernel, but possibly as many as hundreds using grep (I have been using grep
> > to wade through enormous amounts of text). If that is a worthwile
> > fix, or if anyone is interested in teaming up to dig through them, please
> > message me. (I am estimating there are about 15000 cases to dig through
> > by hand, but I won't know until I'm done grep-ing). Thank you for your time.
>
> Spelling mistakes are distracting and make it hard to grep for things, if
> one expects them to be spelled correctly.  So it can be nice to fix them.
> People seem to prefer that you fix all the mistakes per file, though.
>
> But for the moment, please focus on drivers staging (and not the media
> subdirectory).  That way, Greg will apply your patches.

There is a quirk with how my directories are set up due to the commands
I used to check out. Thus, I think "drivers staging" is ambiguous in
regards to my setup. Is the drivers staging directory the one that has
(e.g.) these directories?

accel, accessibility, acpi...

Or, these directories?

axis-fifo, board, emxx_udc...

Doing a simple spelling error patch might be good practice for me since
the last one I submitted might not be worth patching.

@ 2023-03-17 21:07     ` Julia Lawall
From: Julia Lawall @ 2023-03-17 21:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark Heim; +Cc: outreachy

> There is a quirk with how my directories are set up due to the commands
> I used to check out.

It's not at all clear to me what you mean by this.  The one and only
proper way to get the code is to clone the complete repository.  YOu can
use

git clone https://kernel.googlesource.com/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/gregkh/staging.git

(I can't access the tutorial at the moment, so I don't know what it
recommends).

Do you have a problem with disk space?

If you don't have the whole repository organized in the expected way, you
won't be able to compile the code properly.  I would suggest to just
desctroy what you have and start over.

> Thus, I think "drivers staging" is ambiguous in
> regards to my setup. Is the drivers staging directory the one that has
> (e.g.) these directories?
>
> accel, accessibility, acpi...

No, I don't think so.

If your tree is called linux, then it would be linux/drivers/staging

> Or, these directories?
>
> axis-fifo, board, emxx_udc...
>
> Doing a simple spelling error patch might be good practice for me since
> the last one I submitted might not be worth patching.

It's fine, as long as it is on a file in drivers/staging and not in
drivers/staging/media.

julia

* Re: Patching spelling errors
@ 2023-03-17 21:50       ` Mark Heim
From: Mark Heim @ 2023-03-17 21:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Julia Lawall; +Cc: outreachy

On Fri, Mar 17, 2023 at 10:07:05PM +0100, Julia Lawall wrote:
> > There is a quirk with how my directories are set up due to the commands
> > I used to check out.
>
> It's not at all clear to me what you mean by this.  The one and only
> proper way to get the code is to clone the complete repository.  YOu can
> use
>
> git clone https://kernel.googlesource.com/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/gregkh/staging.git

Consider the greybus directory that I attempted to commit my patch. On my machine, the path is:

~/git/kernels/staging/drivers/staging/greybus

I'm getting confused because I did a checkout of the repository inside a
folder named staging, correct?

> (I can't access the tutorial at the moment, so I don't know what it
> recommends).

The command is:

git clone -b staging-testing git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/gregkh/staging.git

> Do you have a problem with disk space?

I have had warnings about low disk space in my /boot/ partition, but I
deleted some old kernel images, and the problem is solved.

> If you don't have the whole repository organized in the expected way, you
> won't be able to compile the code properly.  I would suggest to just
> desctroy what you have and start over.
>
> > Thus, I think "drivers staging" is ambiguous in
> > regards to my setup. Is the drivers staging directory the one that has
> > (e.g.) these directories?
> >
> > accel, accessibility, acpi...
>
> No, I don't think so.
>
> If your tree is called linux, then it would be linux/drivers/staging

Part of my directory tree is literally:

staging/drivers/staging

No wonder I'm confused.

> > Or, these directories?
> >
> > axis-fifo, board, emxx_udc...
> >
> > Doing a simple spelling error patch might be good practice for me since
> > the last one I submitted might not be worth patching.
>
> It's fine, as long as it is on a file in drivers/staging and not in
> drivers/staging/media.

I wrote a script to find instances of a misspelled word in the directory
that would fix a word. In the Outreachyfirstpatch tutorial, under the
"Potential cleanup patch tasks," spelling mistakes are number 5.

I really appreciate your help, Julia. Even if I didn't make it as an
intern this summer, my productivity and confidence have obtained a big
boost!

@ 2023-03-17 21:55         ` Julia Lawall
From: Julia Lawall @ 2023-03-17 21:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark Heim; +Cc: outreachy

On Fri, 17 Mar 2023, Mark Heim wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 17, 2023 at 10:07:05PM +0100, Julia Lawall wrote:
> > > There is a quirk with how my directories are set up due to the commands
> > > I used to check out.
> >
> > It's not at all clear to me what you mean by this.  The one and only
> > proper way to get the code is to clone the complete repository.  YOu can
> > use
> >
> > git clone https://kernel.googlesource.com/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/gregkh/staging.git
> >

> Consider the greybus directory that I attempted to commit my patch. On my machine, the path is:
>
> ~/git/kernels/staging/drivers/staging/greybus
>
> I'm getting confused because I did a checkout of the repository inside a
> folder named staging, correct?

OK, you can name the top level folder as whatever you want, but staging is
fine.  But I was referring to the drivers/staging that comes after that.

> I wrote a script to find instances of a misspelled word in the directory
> that would fix a word. In the Outreachyfirstpatch tutorial, under the
> "Potential cleanup patch tasks," spelling mistakes are number 5.

Fixing mistakes in the tutorial is also a contribution. Ask Alison for the
necessary access.

> I really appreciate your help, Julia. Even if I didn't make it as an
> intern this summer, my productivity and confidence have obtained a big
> boost!

An important part of kernel development is communicating in a way that is
quickly and accurately understandable by others (or by yourself 6 months
later :).  That is a useful skill in lots of other areas.

julia

* Re: Patching spelling errors
@ 2023-03-18  6:24         ` Ira Weiny
       [not found]           ` <CALfc2ngYvgWE_Km89zZeUp+xx0cXXsrz5iyC=NnhXcAFK0reOg@mail.gmail.com>
From: Ira Weiny @ 2023-03-18  6:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark Heim, Julia Lawall; +Cc: outreachy

Mark Heim wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 17, 2023 at 10:07:05PM +0100, Julia Lawall wrote:
> > > There is a quirk with how my directories are set up due to the commands
> > > I used to check out.
> >
> > It's not at all clear to me what you mean by this.  The one and only
> > proper way to get the code is to clone the complete repository.  YOu can
> > use
> >
> > git clone https://kernel.googlesource.com/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/gregkh/staging.git
> >

> Consider the greybus directory that I attempted to commit my patch. On my machine, the path is:
>
> ~/git/kernels/staging/drivers/staging/greybus
>
> I'm getting confused because I did a checkout of the repository inside a
> folder named staging, correct?
>
> > (I can't access the tutorial at the moment, so I don't know what it
> > recommends).
> >

> The command is:
>
> git clone -b staging-testing git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/gregkh/staging.git

I'm confused when you ran this what was the current directory?

~/git/kernels?

That would make the kernel root ~/git/kernels/staging

Which is fine.

$ git clone -b staging-testing https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/gregkh/staging.git
Cloning into 'staging'...
remote: Enumerating objects: 517, done.
remote: Counting objects: 100% (517/517), done.
remote: Total 9354360 (delta 414), reused 396 (delta 362), pack-reused 9353843
Receiving objects: 100% (9354360/9354360), 2.54 GiB | 2.48 MiB/s, done.
Resolving deltas: 100% (7672184/7672184), done.
Updating files: 100% (79608/79608), done.
$ ls staging/
arch/   certs/   CREDITS  Documentation/  fs/       init/      ipc/    Kconfig  lib/       MAINTAINERS  mm/   README  samples/  security/  tools/  virt/
block/  COPYING  crypto/  drivers/        include/  io_uring/  Kbuild  kernel/  LICENSES/  Makefile     net/  rust/   scripts/  sound/     usr/

That is what you see correct?

Julia is referring to the 'staging' subsystem not the staging repo from Greg.
The clone is of his 'staging' repo.

Does that make things more clear?

Ira

* Re: Patching spelling errors
@ 2023-03-19  4:28           ` Mark Heim
       [not found]           ` <CALfc2ngYvgWE_Km89zZeUp+xx0cXXsrz5iyC=NnhXcAFK0reOg@mail.gmail.com>
From: Mark Heim @ 2023-03-19  4:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ira Weiny; +Cc: outreachy

On Fri, Mar 17, 2023 at 11:24:29PM -0700, Ira Weiny wrote:
> Mark Heim wrote:
> > >
> > > It's not at all clear to me what you mean by this.  The one and only
> > > proper way to get the code is to clone the complete repository.  YOu can
> > > use
> > >
> > > git clone https://kernel.googlesource.com/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/gregkh/staging.git
> > >

> > Consider the greybus directory that I attempted to commit my patch. On my machine, the path is:
> >
> > ~/git/kernels/staging/drivers/staging/greybus
> >
> > I'm getting confused because I did a checkout of the repository inside a
> > folder named staging, correct?
> >
> > > (I can't access the tutorial at the moment, so I don't know what it
> > > recommends).
> > >

> > The command is:
> >
> > git clone -b staging-testing git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/gregkh/staging.git
> >

> I'm confused when you ran this what was the current directory?
>
> ~/git/kernels?
>
> That would make the kernel root ~/git/kernels/staging
>
> Which is fine.
>
> $ git clone -b staging-testing https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/gregkh/staging.git
> Cloning into 'staging'...
> remote: Enumerating objects: 517, done.
> remote: Counting objects: 100% (517/517), done.
> remote: Compressing objects: 100% (155/155), done.
> remote: Total 9354360 (delta 414), reused 396 (delta 362), pack-reused 9353843
> Receiving objects: 100% (9354360/9354360), 2.54 GiB | 2.48 MiB/s, done.
> Resolving deltas: 100% (7672184/7672184), done.
> Updating files: 100% (79608/79608), done.
> $ ls staging/
> arch/   certs/   CREDITS  Documentation/  fs/       init/      ipc/    Kconfig  lib/       MAINTAINERS  mm/   README  samples/  security/  tools/  virt/
> block/  COPYING  crypto/  drivers/        include/  io_uring/  Kbuild  kernel/  LICENSES/  Makefile     net/  rust/   scripts/  sound/     usr/
>
> That is what you see correct?
>
> Julia is referring to the 'staging' subsystem not the staging repo from Greg.
> The clone is of his 'staging' repo.
>
> Does that make things more clear?

That is approximately what I see (I also have a directory named, e.g.
block). The root is ~/git/kernels, but confusingly there is also a
subdirectory named ~/git/kernels/staging/drivers/staging which is why I
was confused. Case closed, and thank for your response.

@ 2023-03-19  6:30             ` Julia Lawall
From: Julia Lawall @ 2023-03-19  6:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark Heim; +Cc: Ira Weiny, outreachy