outreachy.lists.linux.dev archive mirror
* Unable to find module location
@ 2023-03-18  8:40 Sumitra Sharma
From: Sumitra Sharma @ 2023-03-18  8:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: outreachy

Hi,

I was trying to recopmile the driver using the command "make menuconfig".
This opens the text-based UI and I wanted to locate and make NVEC_PAZ00
as a module whose location is as follows:

  │                                                                                                                  │
  │ Symbol: NVEC_PAZ00 [=n]                                                                                          │
  │ Type  : tristate                                                                                                 │
  │ Defined at drivers/staging/nvec/Kconfig:45                                                                       │
  │   Prompt: Support for OEM specific functions on Compal PAZ00 based devices                                       │
  │   Depends on: STAGING [=y] && MFD_NVEC [=n] && LEDS_CLASS [=y]                                                   │
  │   Location:                                                                                                      │
  │     -> Device Drivers                                                                                            │
  │ (3)   -> Staging drivers (STAGING [=y])                                                                          │
  │         -> NV Tegra Embedded Controller SMBus Interface (MFD_NVEC [=n])                                          │
  │           -> Support for OEM specific functions on Compal PAZ00 based devices (NVEC_PAZ00 [=n])

  But under "Staging drivers" there is no such thing called "NV Tegra Embedded Controller SMBus Interface (MFD_NVEC [=n])".

  --- Staging drivers                                                                       │ │
  │ │                    < >   RealTek RTL8192U Wireless LAN NIC driver                                            │ │
  │ │                    < >   Support for rtllib wireless devices                                                 │ │
  │ │                    < >   Realtek PCI-E Card Reader RTS5208/5288 support                                      │ │
  │ │                    < >   Silicon Motion SM750 framebuffer support                                            │ │
  │ │                    [*]   Media staging drivers  ----                                                         │ │
  │ │                    < >   GCT GDM724x LTE support                                                             │ │
  │ │                    < >   Support for small TFT LCD display modules  ----                                     │ │
  │ │                    < >   KeyStream KS7010 SDIO support                                                       │ │
  │ │                    <M>   Pi433 - a 433MHz radio module for Raspberry Pi                                      │ │
  │ │                    < >   Fieldbus Device Support  ----                                                       │ │
  │ │                    <M>   QLogic QLGE 10Gb Ethernet Driver Support                                            │ │
  │ │                    [*]   VME bridge support  --->

  Kindly guide me through this.

  Regards,

  Sumitra

* Re: Unable to find module location
@ 2023-03-18  9:13 ` Deepak R Varma
From: Deepak R Varma @ 2023-03-18  9:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sumitra Sharma; +Cc: outreachy

On Sat, Mar 18, 2023 at 01:40:48AM -0700, Sumitra Sharma wrote:
> [...]
>   │ │                    < >   GCT GDM724x LTE support                                                             │ │
>   │ │                    < >   Support for small TFT LCD display modules  ----                                     │ │
>   │ │                    < >   KeyStream KS7010 SDIO support                                                       │ │
>   │ │                    <M>   Pi433 - a 433MHz radio module for Raspberry Pi                                      │ │
>   │ │                    < >   Fieldbus Device Support  ----                                                       │ │
>   │ │                    <M>   QLogic QLGE 10Gb Ethernet Driver Support                                            │ │
>   │ │                    [*]   VME bridge support  --->

Hi Sumitra,
You will need to use a arch specific config file and cross compile to configure
and build this driver module.
I just tried it with arch/arm64/configs/defconfig file and the
aarch64-linux-gnu- compiler for my host system and was able to configure the
driver for build.

Deepak.

@ 2023-03-18  9:14 ` Bagas Sanjaya
From: Bagas Sanjaya @ 2023-03-18  9:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sumitra Sharma, outreachy

On Sat, Mar 18, 2023 at 01:40:48AM -0700, Sumitra Sharma wrote:
>   │ Symbol: NVEC_PAZ00 [=n]                                                                                          │
>   │ Type  : tristate                                                                                                 │
>   │ Defined at drivers/staging/nvec/Kconfig:45                                                                       │
>   │   Prompt: Support for OEM specific functions on Compal PAZ00 based devices                                       │
>   │   Depends on: STAGING [=y] && MFD_NVEC [=n] && LEDS_CLASS [=y]                                                   │

Hi,

MFD_NVEC depends on ARCH_TEGRA, which requires arm64
(aarch64-*-linux-gnu) cross-compiler. If don't have it yet, you can
build one with crosstool-NG. When the cross-compiler have been successfully
built and installed, add <cross-compiler prefix>/bin to PATH.

Now in order to cross-compile the kernel (to arm64 in this case),
you need to pass `ARCH=arm64 and CROSS_COMPILE=aarch64-<vendor>-linux-gnu-`
to each invocation of `make`.

Thanks.

--
An old man doll... just what I always wanted! - Clara

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Unable to find module location
@ 2023-03-18 12:15   ` Sumitra Sharma
From: Sumitra Sharma @ 2023-03-18 12:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bagas Sanjaya; +Cc: outreachy

On Sat, Mar 18, 2023 at 04:14:06PM +0700, Bagas Sanjaya wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 18, 2023 at 01:40:48AM -0700, Sumitra Sharma wrote:
> >   │ Symbol: NVEC_PAZ00 [=n]                                                                                          │
> >   │ Type  : tristate                                                                                                 │
> >   │ Defined at drivers/staging/nvec/Kconfig:45                                                                       │
> >   │   Prompt: Support for OEM specific functions on Compal PAZ00 based devices                                       │
> >   │   Depends on: STAGING [=y] && MFD_NVEC [=n] && LEDS_CLASS [=y]                                                   │
>
> Hi,
>
> MFD_NVEC depends on ARCH_TEGRA, which requires arm64
> (aarch64-*-linux-gnu) cross-compiler. If don't have it yet, you can
> build one with crosstool-NG. When the cross-compiler have been successfully
> built and installed, add <cross-compiler prefix>/bin to PATH.
>
> Now in order to cross-compile the kernel (to arm64 in this case),
> you need to pass `ARCH=arm64 and CROSS_COMPILE=aarch64-<vendor>-linux-gnu-`
> to each invocation of `make`.

HI,

I tried your way. Build and Install aarch64-linux-gnu-gcc, added the
path and run the command 'make -j2 ARCH=arm
CROSS_COMPILE=aarch64-linux-gnu-'

But receiving these errors.

aarch64-linux-gnu-gcc: error: unrecognized argument in option ‘-mabi=aapcs-linux’
aarch64-linux-gnu-gcc: note: valid arguments to ‘-mabi=’ are: ilp32 lp64
  CC      scripts/mod/devicetable-offsets.s
aarch64-linux-gnu-gcc: error: unrecognized command line option ‘-mapcs’
aarch64-linux-gnu-gcc: error: unrecognized argument in option ‘-mabi=aapcs-linux’
aarch64-linux-gnu-gcc: note: valid arguments to ‘-mabi=’ are: ilp32 lp64
aarch64-linux-gnu-gcc: error: unrecognized command line option ‘-mno-sched-prolog’
aarch64-linux-gnu-gcc: error: unrecognized command line option ‘-mtp=cp15’
aarch64-linux-gnu-gcc: error: unrecognized command line option ‘-mfpu=vfp’
aarch64-linux-gnu-gcc: error: unrecognized command line option ‘-msoft-float’
make[1]: *** [scripts/Makefile.build:252: scripts/mod/empty.o] Error 1
aarch64-linux-gnu-gcc: error: unrecognized command line option ‘-mapcs’
aarch64-linux-gnu-gcc: error: unrecognized command line option ‘-mno-sched-prolog’
aarch64-linux-gnu-gcc: error: unrecognized command line option ‘-mtp=cp15’
aarch64-linux-gnu-gcc: error: unrecognized command line option ‘-mfpu=vfp’
aarch64-linux-gnu-gcc: error: unrecognized command line option ‘-msoft-float’
make[1]: *** [scripts/Makefile.build:114: scripts/mod/devicetable-offsets.s] Error 1
make: *** [Makefile:1286: prepare0] Error 2

Regards,

Sumitra

@ 2023-03-18 12:34     ` Bagas Sanjaya
From: Bagas Sanjaya @ 2023-03-18 12:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sumitra Sharma; +Cc: outreachy

On 3/18/23 19:15, Sumitra Sharma wrote:
> HI,
>
> I tried your way. Build and Install aarch64-linux-gnu-gcc, added the
> path and run the command 'make -j2 ARCH=arm
> CROSS_COMPILE=aarch64-linux-gnu-'

The ARCH is wrong. In this case it should have been `ARCH=arm64`.

--

@ 2023-03-18 12:49       ` Sumitra Sharma
From: Sumitra Sharma @ 2023-03-18 12:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bagas Sanjaya; +Cc: outreachy

On Sat, Mar 18, 2023 at 07:34:25PM +0700, Bagas Sanjaya wrote:
> On 3/18/23 19:15, Sumitra Sharma wrote:
> > HI,
> >
> > I tried your way. Build and Install aarch64-linux-gnu-gcc, added the
> > path and run the command 'make -j2 ARCH=arm
> > CROSS_COMPILE=aarch64-linux-gnu-'
> >

> The ARCH is wrong. In this case it should have been `ARCH=arm64`.

Sorry, for such a silly mistake.

However I run the command "make -j2 ./drARCH=arm64 CROSS_COMPILE=aarch64-linux-gnu-" and got
make[3]: Nothing to be done for 'drivers/staging/nvec/'.

I think  this is because it is not yet created as a module.

This was my initial issue.

Regards,

Sumitra

@ 2023-03-18 13:01         ` Bagas Sanjaya
From: Bagas Sanjaya @ 2023-03-18 13:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sumitra Sharma; +Cc: outreachy

On 3/18/23 19:49, Sumitra Sharma wrote:
> Sorry, for such a silly mistake.
>
> However I run the command "make -j2 ./drARCH=arm64 CROSS_COMPILE=aarch64-linux-gnu-" and got
> make[3]: Nothing to be done for 'drivers/staging/nvec/'.
>
> I think  this is because it is not yet created as a module.

Have you tried cleaning the build first with `mrproper` target? Also,
is NVEC_PAZ00 enabled?

--

@ 2023-03-18 13:02   ` Sumitra Sharma
From: Sumitra Sharma @ 2023-03-18 13:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Deepak R Varma; +Cc: outreachy

On Sat, Mar 18, 2023 at 02:43:21PM +0530, Deepak R Varma wrote:
> [...]
> >   │ │                    < >   KeyStream KS7010 SDIO support                                                       │ │
> >   │ │                    <M>   Pi433 - a 433MHz radio module for Raspberry Pi                                      │ │
> >   │ │                    < >   Fieldbus Device Support  ----                                                       │ │
> >   │ │                    <M>   QLogic QLGE 10Gb Ethernet Driver Support                                            │ │
> >   │ │                    [*]   VME bridge support  --->
> >

> >   Kindly guide me through this.
>
> Hi Sumitra,
> You will need to use a arch specific config file and cross compile to configure
> and build this driver module.
> I just tried it with arch/arm64/configs/defconfig file and the
> aarch64-linux-gnu- compiler for my host system and was able to configure the

Hi deepak,

Can you tell me command you are using because when adding the
arch/arm64/configs/defconfig file. I am receiving the invalid options
error.

It will be of much help. Thank you.

Regards,

Sumitra

@ 2023-03-18 16:08     ` Deepak R Varma
From: Deepak R Varma @ 2023-03-18 16:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sumitra Sharma; +Cc: outreachy

On Sat, Mar 18, 2023 at 06:02:11AM -0700, Sumitra Sharma wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 18, 2023 at 02:43:21PM +0530, Deepak R Varma wrote:
> > On Sat, Mar 18, 2023 at 01:40:48AM -0700, Sumitra Sharma wrote:
> > You will need to use a arch specific config file and cross compile to configure
> > and build this driver module.
> > I just tried it with arch/arm64/configs/defconfig file and the
> > aarch64-linux-gnu- compiler for my host system and was able to configure the
> > driver for build.
> >

> Hi deepak,
>
> Can you tell me command you are using because when adding the
> arch/arm64/configs/defconfig file. I am receiving the invalid options
> error.

Did you follow Sanjaya's instruction on cleaning your source directory? Once
that is done, I suggest enabling necessary configurations using the arch
specific config file and then run a full build. Make sure the build is all
successful and the module's .ko file is generated.

Deepak.

@ 2023-03-18 17:57           ` Sumitra Sharma
From: Sumitra Sharma @ 2023-03-18 17:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bagas Sanjaya; +Cc: outreachy

On Sat, Mar 18, 2023 at 08:01:33PM +0700, Bagas Sanjaya wrote:
> On 3/18/23 19:49, Sumitra Sharma wrote:
> > Sorry, for such a silly mistake.
> >
> > However I run the command "make -j2 ./drARCH=arm64 CROSS_COMPILE=aarch64-linux-gnu-" and got
> > make[3]: Nothing to be done for 'drivers/staging/nvec/'.
> >
> > I think  this is because it is not yet created as a module.
> >

> Have you tried cleaning the build first with `mrproper` target? Also,
> is NVEC_PAZ00 enabled?

Cleaning the build worked for me. Thanks.
What do you mean by enabling the NVEC_PAZ00?

Regards

Sumitra

@ 2023-03-19  2:08             ` Bagas Sanjaya
From: Bagas Sanjaya @ 2023-03-19  2:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sumitra Sharma; +Cc: outreachy

On 3/19/23 00:57, Sumitra Sharma wrote:
> Cleaning the build worked for me. Thanks.
> What do you mean by enabling the NVEC_PAZ00?

I mean you should set the config as Y or M (if permitted).

--

@ 2023-03-19  8:32               ` Sumitra Sharma
From: Sumitra Sharma @ 2023-03-19  8:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bagas Sanjaya; +Cc: outreachy

On Sun, Mar 19, 2023 at 09:08:01AM +0700, Bagas Sanjaya wrote:
> On 3/19/23 00:57, Sumitra Sharma wrote:
> > Cleaning the build worked for me. Thanks.
> > What do you mean by enabling the NVEC_PAZ00?
> >

> I mean you should set the config as Y or M (if permitted).

Hi I am still not able to locate the driver when I am running the
command 'make menuconfig'. Hence not able to configure it as 'M'.

Regards,

Sumitra

@ 2023-03-19  8:40                 ` Julia Lawall
From: Julia Lawall @ 2023-03-19  8:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sumitra Sharma; +Cc: Bagas Sanjaya, outreachy

On Sun, 19 Mar 2023, Sumitra Sharma wrote:

> On Sun, Mar 19, 2023 at 09:08:01AM +0700, Bagas Sanjaya wrote:
> > On 3/19/23 00:57, Sumitra Sharma wrote:
> > > Cleaning the build worked for me. Thanks.
> > > What do you mean by enabling the NVEC_PAZ00?
> > >

> > I mean you should set the config as Y or M (if permitted).
> >

> Hi I am still not able to locate the driver when I am running the
> command 'make menuconfig'. Hence not able to configure it as 'M'.

Just to check for the obvious, you did try typing / and then NVEC_PAZ00?

julia

@ 2023-03-19  8:45       ` Sumitra Sharma
From: Sumitra Sharma @ 2023-03-19  8:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Julia Lawall; +Cc: outreachy

On Sat, Mar 18, 2023 at 09:38:23PM +0530, Deepak R Varma wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 18, 2023 at 06:02:11AM -0700, Sumitra Sharma wrote:
> > On Sat, Mar 18, 2023 at 02:43:21PM +0530, Deepak R Varma wrote:
> > > On Sat, Mar 18, 2023 at 01:40:48AM -0700, Sumitra Sharma wrote:
> > > You will need to use a arch specific config file and cross compile to configure
> > > and build this driver module.
> > > I just tried it with arch/arm64/configs/defconfig file and the
> > > aarch64-linux-gnu- compiler for my host system and was able to configure the
> > > driver for build.
> > >

> > Hi deepak,
> >
> > Can you tell me command you are using because when adding the
> > arch/arm64/configs/defconfig file. I am receiving the invalid options
> > error.
>
> Did you follow Sanjaya's instruction on cleaning your source directory? Once
> that is done, I suggest enabling necessary configurations using the arch
> specific config file and then run a full build. Make sure the build is all
> successful and the module's .ko file is generated.

Hi deepak,

Yes I did the cleanup. But I am unable to enable the below driver as
module 'M' when running the command 'make menuconfig' or 'make
menuconfig ~/git/kernels/staging/arch/arm64/configs/defconfig'. It is
because I am not able to locate it under staging drivers.

  │                                                                                                                  │

@ 2023-03-19  8:56                   ` Julia Lawall
From: Julia Lawall @ 2023-03-19  8:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sumitra Sharma; +Cc: Bagas Sanjaya, outreachy

Maybe try make tegra_defconfig

julia

* Re: Unable to find module location
@ 2023-03-19 12:10                     ` Sumitra Sharma
From: Sumitra Sharma @ 2023-03-19 12:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Julia Lawall; +Cc: Bagas Sanjaya, outreachy

On Sun, Mar 19, 2023 at 09:56:33AM +0100, Julia Lawall wrote:
> Maybe try make tegra_defconfig

Hi,

Error: Can't find default configuration "arch/x86/configs/tegra_defconfig"!

REgards,
SUmitra

@ 2023-03-19 12:36                       ` Julia Lawall
From: Julia Lawall @ 2023-03-19 12:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sumitra Sharma; +Cc: Bagas Sanjaya, outreachy

On Sun, 19 Mar 2023, Sumitra Sharma wrote:

> On Sun, Mar 19, 2023 at 09:56:33AM +0100, Julia Lawall wrote:
> > Maybe try make tegra_defconfig
> >

> Hi,
>
> Error: Can't find default configuration "arch/x86/configs/tegra_defconfig"!

make ARCH=arm tegra_defconfig

You can see that because find . -name tegra_defconfig gives:

./arch/arm/configs/tegra_defconfig

julia

> REgards,
> SUmitra
>
> > julia

* Re: Unable to find module location
@ 2023-03-20  8:46                         ` Sumitra Sharma
                                             ` (2 more replies)
From: Sumitra Sharma @ 2023-03-20  8:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Julia Lawall; +Cc: Bagas Sanjaya, outreachy

On Sun, Mar 19, 2023 at 01:36:51PM +0100, Julia Lawall wrote:

> On Sun, 19 Mar 2023, Sumitra Sharma wrote:
>
> > On Sun, Mar 19, 2023 at 09:56:33AM +0100, Julia Lawall wrote:
> > > Maybe try make tegra_defconfig
> > >

> > Hi,
> >
> > Error: Can't find default configuration "arch/x86/configs/tegra_defconfig"!
>
> make ARCH=arm tegra_defconfig
>
> You can see that because find . -name tegra_defconfig gives:
>
> ./arch/arm/configs/tegra_defconfig

Hi julia,

This did worked.

But the main issue of creating NVEC_PAZ00 a module using make menuconfig still persist.

Regards,

Sumitra

@ 2023-03-20  8:56                           ` Julia Lawall
From: Julia Lawall @ 2023-03-20  8:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sumitra Sharma; +Cc: Bagas Sanjaya, outreachy

On Mon, 20 Mar 2023, Sumitra Sharma wrote:

> On Sun, Mar 19, 2023 at 01:36:51PM +0100, Julia Lawall wrote:

> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > Error: Can't find default configuration "arch/x86/configs/tegra_defconfig"!
> >
> > make ARCH=arm tegra_defconfig
> >
> > You can see that because find . -name tegra_defconfig gives:
> >
> > ./arch/arm/configs/tegra_defconfig
> >

> Hi julia,
>
> This did worked.
>
> But the main issue of creating NVEC_PAZ00 a module using make menuconfig still persist.

You're not able to select the things indicated when you use / to search
for NVEC_PAZ00 ?

julia

@ 2023-03-20  8:59                           ` Bagas Sanjaya
From: Bagas Sanjaya @ 2023-03-20  8:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sumitra Sharma, Julia Lawall; +Cc: outreachy

On 3/20/23 15:46, Sumitra Sharma wrote:
> Hi julia,
>
> This did worked.
>
> But the main issue of creating NVEC_PAZ00 a module using make menuconfig still persist.

Oh dear, you don't know how to use menuconfig...

When you execute `make menuconfig`, you'll be presented with menu when
you can choose what config you want to enable. To find the desired config
(NVEC_PAZ00 in this case), press `/` and type in the config name. If
found, you will see menu location for config symbols that match. Then
follow the shown path.

Thanks.

--

@ 2023-03-20  9:03                           ` Julia Lawall
From: Julia Lawall @ 2023-03-20  9:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sumitra Sharma; +Cc: Bagas Sanjaya, outreachy

On Mon, 20 Mar 2023, Sumitra Sharma wrote:

> On Sun, Mar 19, 2023 at 01:36:51PM +0100, Julia Lawall wrote:

> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > Error: Can't find default configuration "arch/x86/configs/tegra_defconfig"!
> >
> > make ARCH=arm tegra_defconfig
> >
> > You can see that because find . -name tegra_defconfig gives:
> >
> > ./arch/arm/configs/tegra_defconfig
> >

> Hi julia,
>
> This did worked.
>
> But the main issue of creating NVEC_PAZ00 a module using make menuconfig still persist.

Try make ARCH=arm tegra_defconfig menuconfig

julia

@ 2023-03-20  9:04                             ` Julia Lawall
From: Julia Lawall @ 2023-03-20  9:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bagas Sanjaya; +Cc: Sumitra Sharma, outreachy

On Mon, 20 Mar 2023, Bagas Sanjaya wrote:

> On 3/20/23 15:46, Sumitra Sharma wrote:
> > Hi julia,
> >
> > This did worked.
> >
> > But the main issue of creating NVEC_PAZ00 a module using make menuconfig still persist.
> >

> Oh dear, you don't know how to use menuconfig...
>
> When you execute `make menuconfig`, you'll be presented with menu when
> you can choose what config you want to enable. To find the desired config
> (NVEC_PAZ00 in this case), press `/` and type in the config name. If
> found, you will see menu location for config symbols that match. Then
> follow the shown path.

Actually, this isn't the issue.  You have to have the ARCH=arm as well.
Otherwise, / provides instructions, but there is no way to follow them.

julia

@ 2023-03-20  9:19         ` Deepak R Varma
From: Deepak R Varma @ 2023-03-20  9:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sumitra Sharma; +Cc: Julia Lawall, outreachy

On Sun, Mar 19, 2023 at 01:45:20AM -0700, Sumitra Sharma wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 18, 2023 at 09:38:23PM +0530, Deepak R Varma wrote:
> > > >

> > > Hi deepak,
> > >
> > > Can you tell me command you are using because when adding the
> > > arch/arm64/configs/defconfig file. I am receiving the invalid options
> > > error.
> >
> > Did you follow Sanjaya's instruction on cleaning your source directory? Once
> > that is done, I suggest enabling necessary configurations using the arch
> > specific config file and then run a full build. Make sure the build is all
> > successful and the module's .ko file is generated.
> >

> Hi deepak,
>
> Yes I did the cleanup. But I am unable to enable the below driver as
> module 'M' when running the command 'make menuconfig' or 'make
> menuconfig ~/git/kernels/staging/arch/arm64/configs/defconfig'. It is
> because I am not able to locate it under staging drivers.

what is your Linux distro and host architecture?

@ 2023-03-20  9:53                             ` Sumitra Sharma
From: Sumitra Sharma @ 2023-03-20  9:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Julia Lawall; +Cc: Bagas Sanjaya, outreachy

>>On Mon, 20 Mar 2023, Bagas Sanjaya wrote:

> On 3/20/23 15:46, Sumitra Sharma wrote:
> > Hi julia,
> >
> > This did worked.
> >
> > But the main issue of creating NVEC_PAZ00 a module using make menuconfig still persist.
> >

>> Oh dear, you don't know how to use menuconfig...
>>
>> When you execute `make menuconfig`, you'll be presented with menu when
>> you can choose what config you want to enable. To find the desired config
>> (NVEC_PAZ00 in this case), press `/` and type in the config name. If
>> found, you will see menu location for config symbols that match. Then
>> follow the shown path.

> Actually, this isn't the issue.  You have to have the ARCH=arm as well.
> Otherwise, / provides instructions, but there is no way to follow them.

Yes you are correct locating the mocule in menuconfig is my issue. Do you mean 'make menuconfig ARCH=arm'.

Sorry for such a long thread. :(

@ 2023-03-20 10:02           ` Sumitra Sharma
From: Sumitra Sharma @ 2023-03-20 10:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Deepak R Varma; +Cc: Julia Lawall, outreachy

On Mon, Mar 20, 2023 at 02:49:11PM +0530, Deepak R Varma wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 19, 2023 at 01:45:20AM -0700, Sumitra Sharma wrote:

> > > Did you follow Sanjaya's instruction on cleaning your source directory? Once
> > > that is done, I suggest enabling necessary configurations using the arch
> > > specific config file and then run a full build. Make sure the build is all
> > > successful and the module's .ko file is generated.
> > >

> > Hi deepak,
> >
> > Yes I did the cleanup. But I am unable to enable the below driver as
> > module 'M' when running the command 'make menuconfig' or 'make
> > menuconfig ~/git/kernels/staging/arch/arm64/configs/defconfig'. It is
> > because I am not able to locate it under staging drivers.
>
> what is your Linux distro and host architecture?

VM linux distro = Ubuntu 20.04 64-bit version
Host architecture = windows 11 x64

REgards,
SUmitra

@ 2023-03-20 10:16             ` Deepak R Varma
From: Deepak R Varma @ 2023-03-20 10:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sumitra Sharma; +Cc: Julia Lawall, outreachy

On Mon, Mar 20, 2023 at 03:02:16AM -0700, Sumitra Sharma wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 20, 2023 at 02:49:11PM +0530, Deepak R Varma wrote:

> > > Hi deepak,
> > >
> > > Yes I did the cleanup. But I am unable to enable the below driver as
> > > module 'M' when running the command 'make menuconfig' or 'make
> > > menuconfig ~/git/kernels/staging/arch/arm64/configs/defconfig'. It is
> > > because I am not able to locate it under staging drivers.
> >
> > what is your Linux distro and host architecture?
> >

> VM linux distro = Ubuntu 20.04 64-bit version
> Host architecture = windows 11 x64

Try the following steps and let me know if you are able to select and configure
the dependencies and the driver you wish to build:

   cd /path/to/linux/source/
   cp .config .config_x86_64
   cp arch/arm64/configs/defconfig .config
   make ARCH=arm64 CROSS_COMPILE=<<arm64 gcc compiler binary path>> menuconfig

Note: you first need to resolve the dependencies and then you will be presented
the selection option for your driver.

Once you configure the driver, run following to build the Kernel image and
should include your driver as well:

@ 2023-03-20 10:21               ` Deepak R Varma
From: Deepak R Varma @ 2023-03-20 10:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sumitra Sharma; +Cc: Julia Lawall, outreachy

On Mon, Mar 20, 2023 at 03:46:07PM +0530, Deepak R Varma wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 20, 2023 at 03:02:16AM -0700, Sumitra Sharma wrote:
> > On Mon, Mar 20, 2023 at 02:49:11PM +0530, Deepak R Varma wrote:
> >
> > VM linux distro = Ubuntu 20.04 64-bit version
> > Host architecture = windows 11 x64
>
> Try the following steps and let me know if you are able to select and configure
> the dependencies and the driver you wish to build:
>
>    cd /path/to/linux/source/
>    cp .config .config_x86_64
>    cp arch/arm64/configs/defconfig .config
>    make ARCH=arm64 CROSS_COMPILE=<<arm64 gcc compiler binary path>> menuconfig
>
> Note: you first need to resolve the dependencies and then you will be presented
> the selection option for your driver.
>
> Once you configure the driver, run following to build the Kernel image and
> should include your driver as well:
>    make ARCH=arm64 CROSS_COMPILE=<<arm64 gcc compiler binary path>>

If you have already progressed with the guidance from other mentors, please
continue to follow those instructions.

@ 2023-03-20 13:04                               ` Julia Lawall
From: Julia Lawall @ 2023-03-20 13:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sumitra Sharma; +Cc: Bagas Sanjaya, outreachy

On Mon, 20 Mar 2023, Sumitra Sharma wrote:

> >>On Mon, 20 Mar 2023, Bagas Sanjaya wrote:
>
> > On 3/20/23 15:46, Sumitra Sharma wrote:
> > > Hi julia,
> > >
> > > This did worked.
> > >
> > > But the main issue of creating NVEC_PAZ00 a module using make menuconfig still persist.
> > >

> >> Oh dear, you don't know how to use menuconfig...
> >>
> >> When you execute `make menuconfig`, you'll be presented with menu when
> >> you can choose what config you want to enable. To find the desired config
> >> (NVEC_PAZ00 in this case), press `/` and type in the config name. If
> >> found, you will see menu location for config symbols that match. Then
> >> follow the shown path.
>
> > Actually, this isn't the issue.  You have to have the ARCH=arm as well.
> > Otherwise, / provides instructions, but there is no way to follow them.
>
> Yes you are correct locating the mocule in menuconfig is my issue. Do you mean 'make menuconfig ARCH=arm'.

I have never tried that order.  make ARCH=arm tegra_defconfig menuconfig
should work.  Maybe other options work also.  Arm has a lot of specific
configurations.

julia

@ 2023-03-22  4:10                                 ` Sumitra Sharma
From: Sumitra Sharma @ 2023-03-22  4:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Julia Lawall; +Cc: Bagas Sanjaya, outreachy

On Mon, Mar 20, 2023 at 02:04:30PM +0100, Julia Lawall wrote:

> > > Actually, this isn't the issue.  You have to have the ARCH=arm as well.
> > > Otherwise, / provides instructions, but there is no way to follow them.
> >
> > Yes you are correct locating the mocule in menuconfig is my issue. Do you mean 'make menuconfig ARCH=arm'.
>
> I have never tried that order.  make ARCH=arm tegra_defconfig menuconfig
> should work.  Maybe other options work also.  Arm has a lot of specific
> configurations.

Hi julia,

This did work. Now everything is working fine.  This thread can be closed.
Thank you very much.

Regards,
Sumitra

@ 2023-03-22  4:12                 ` Sumitra Sharma
From: Sumitra Sharma @ 2023-03-22  4:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Deepak R Varma; +Cc: Julia Lawall, outreachy

On Mon, Mar 20, 2023 at 03:51:11PM +0530, Deepak R Varma wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 20, 2023 at 03:46:07PM +0530, Deepak R Varma wrote:
> > On Mon, Mar 20, 2023 at 03:02:16AM -0700, Sumitra Sharma wrote:
> > > On Mon, Mar 20, 2023 at 02:49:11PM +0530, Deepak R Varma wrote:
> > >
> > > VM linux distro = Ubuntu 20.04 64-bit version
> > > Host architecture = windows 11 x64
> >
> > Try the following steps and let me know if you are able to select and configure
> > the dependencies and the driver you wish to build:
> >
> >    cd /path/to/linux/source/
> >    cp .config .config_x86_64
> >    cp arch/arm64/configs/defconfig .config
> >    make ARCH=arm64 CROSS_COMPILE=<<arm64 gcc compiler binary path>> menuconfig
> >
> > Note: you first need to resolve the dependencies and then you will be presented
> > the selection option for your driver.
> >
> > Once you configure the driver, run following to build the Kernel image and
> > should include your driver as well:
> >    make ARCH=arm64 CROSS_COMPILE=<<arm64 gcc compiler binary path>>
>
> If you have already progressed with the guidance from other mentors, please
> continue to follow those instructions.

HI deepak,

Your views were of great help. Things are now working properly.  Thank you for your help.

REgards,
SUmitra