printing-architecture.lists.linux.dev archive mirror
* libcups3 with built-in copy of PDFio?
@ 2023-12-30 23:09 Till Kamppeter
From: Till Kamppeter @ 2023-12-30 23:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: OpenPrinting; +Cc: Michael Sweet, Akarshan Kapoor, Kate Stewart

Hi,

Akarshan Kapoor has built libcups3 for testing some fixes he has done on
libcupsfilters and libppd.

Here he has discovered that the current GIT repo of libcups3
(https://github.com/OpenPrinting/libcups) contains a link into the repo
of PDFio, and to build libcups3 one has to clone the libcups repo and to
clone the PDFio reo, too and link it into the libcups repo at the
appropriate place in order to build libcups.

Mike, does this mean that

- PDFio will get completely built into libcups3 instead of libcups3
   using it as external library, linking to libpdfio for example?

- libcups3 has PDF handling/manipulation functionality as an integral
   part?

- libcups3 is part of OpenPrinting and depends on PDFio which is part of
   your personal repository.

So now I want to ask, should PDFio now get promoted to OpenPrinting? And
should we have a libpdfio which libcups3 should use?

And to promote repos from Mike's personal GitHub to OpenPrinting, should
OpenPrinting perhaps be somehow made an association (part of the Linux
Foundation) which can receive funding (from members and one-time donators)?

    Till

* Re: libcups3 with built-in copy of PDFio?
@ 2023-12-31  1:03 ` Michael Sweet
From: Michael Sweet @ 2023-12-31  1:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Till Kamppeter; +Cc: OpenPrinting, Akarshan Kapoor, Kate Stewart

Till,

> On Dec 30, 2023, at 6:09 PM, Till Kamppeter <till.kamppeter@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> Akarshan Kapoor has built libcups3 for testing some fixes he has done on libcupsfilters and libppd.
>
> Here he has discovered that the current GIT repo of libcups3 (https://github.com/OpenPrinting/libcups) contains a link into the repo of PDFio, and to build libcups3 one has to clone the libcups repo and to clone the PDFio reo, too and link it into the libcups repo at the appropriate place in order to build libcups.
>
> Mike, does this mean that
>
> - PDFio will get completely built into libcups3 instead of libcups3
>  using it as external library, linking to libpdfio for example?

The "bundled" PDFio library gets used if the library is not already installed - there is a pkgconfig check for this...  I chose to do this rather than having the PDFio files in the tools directory - among other things, it allows for PDFio to be packaged and used for other programs as well.

> - libcups3 has PDF handling/manipulation functionality as an integral
>  part?

No, although ipptransform (one of the bundled utilities) does.

> - libcups3 is part of OpenPrinting and depends on PDFio which is part of
>  your personal repository.

This is true, but then we also depend on a lot of other non-OpenPrinting software.

> So now I want to ask, should PDFio now get promoted to OpenPrinting? And should we have a libpdfio which libcups3 should use?

As with PAPPL, I have sponsors for PDFio and it isn't clear how those sponsorships could continue to happen through OpenPrinting.  Also, PDFio's scope is far beyond OpenPrinting.  So no, I don't want to transfer PDFio or PAPPL to OpenPrinting at this time.

Michael Sweet