printing-architecture.lists.linux.dev archive mirror
* [Printing-architecture] Forth beta of the second generation of the Common Print Dialog Backends released!
@ 2023-03-21 21:00 Till Kamppeter
From: Till Kamppeter @ 2023-03-21 21:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Open Printing, Zdenek Dohnal, jsmeix, Thorsten Alteholz,
	Frederik Feichtmeier, Michael Sweet, Sebastien Bacher,
	Ken VanDine

Hi,

We are now releasing the forth beta of the second generation of the
Common Print Dialog Backends (CPDB).

Main addition are build test scripts (make check) for all the three
components, as they are not only useful for general QA but especially
required for inclusion of the CPDB packages into Ubuntu Main. Main is
the core part of Ubuntu, which gets full support from Canonical.

To facilitate creation of test scripts for the backends, for creating
test scripts which test packages installed into a system (like
autopkgtests of Debian and Ubuntu), and also for general development and
debugging use, the demo programs of cpdb-libs (former demo/
sub-directory) got promoted to be development tools. Not only their
directory got renamed (to tools/) but also the programs get built
together with the libraries by make and get installed by make install.
And they got also renamed to nicely live in a system: cpdb-text-frontend
and cpdb-pickle-print.

Another feature to ease writing test scripts for backend packages is
that now the frontend library does not only look for backend metadata in
a hard-wired system directory (/usr/share/print-backends/) but one can
provide an alternative location via the CPDB_BACKEND_INFO_DIR
environment variable. So a build test of a freshly compiled and not yet
installed backend is no problem any more.

And while developing test scripts one usually tests the software itself
a lot. And this revealed some bugs, including crashers, which got also
fixed with this release.

The components we are currently maintaining got all updated and released
as version 2.0b4.

Here we go:

https://openprinting.github.io/Common-Print-Dialog-Backends-Second-Generation-Forth-Beta-Release/

There are also GitHub discussions set up for each release now.

    Till

* [Printing-architecture] Forth beta of the second generation of the Common Print Dialog Backends released!
@ 2023-08-02 23:19 Till Kamppeter
From: Till Kamppeter @ 2023-08-02 23:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Open Printing, Zdenek Dohnal, jsmeix, Thorsten Alteholz,
	Frederik Feichtmeier, Michael Sweet, Sebastien Bacher,
	Ken VanDine, Tim Holmes-Mitra

Hi,

We are now releasing the fifth beta of the second generation of the
Common Print Dialog Backends (CPDB).

Main change is the removal of the backend info files, in a standard
installation in the /usr/share/print-backends/ directory. They are not
actually needed, all containing the D-Bus object path /, which we can
simply hard-code, and we also cannot use the files to determine which
backends are there, as both the frontend and the backends can be
provided in a sandboxed package, like a Snap or an OCI container
(podman, Docker, …), and so cannot read each other’s file systems.

So frontends communicate with backends purely by D-Bus, not any more by
the file system.

In addition, we have fixed several bugs, especially security
vulnerability CVE-2023-34095, a buffer overflow due to unlimited
scanning of input strings by scanf() and fscanf() calls, some crashers,
and a bug breaking make install.

The components we are currently maintaining got all updated and released
as version 2.0b5.

Here we go:

https://openprinting.github.io/Common-Print-Dialog-Backends-Second-Generation-Fifth-Beta-Release/