printing-architecture.lists.linux.dev archive mirror
* [Printing-architecture] OpenPrinting Roadmap Sprint 2023 on the Opportunity Open Source in the IIT Mandi in India
@ 2023-07-07 22:22 Till Kamppeter
From: Till Kamppeter @ 2023-07-07 22:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Open Printing
  Cc: Kate Stewart, Benjamin Gordon, Piotr Pawliczek, Piotr Pawliczek,
	Aveek Basu, Jeff Licquia

Hi,

with the DebConf being in India, and so me having already one reason to
travel to India, Aveek and me have decided to meet most of our current
and former contributors in-person and motivate the students, professors,
researchers to join the community of developers, designers, doc writers,
... in a 2-1/2-day conference, the "Opportunity Open Source". As most of
our contributors are studying in the Indian Institute of Technology
(IIT) Mandi, in the north of India, not far from Delhi, we have selected
this place to run the conference.

There we will talk with them about their GSoC experience on a panel,
have a GSoC Q&A session, and the contributors presenting their work. By
a Call for Proposals we hope to get a wide range of more contributions.

And for attendees getting some real-life experience and for us getting
audience contributing to our discussions we are running this year's
OpenPrinting Roadmap Sprint on the conference and attendees can
participate in the discussion and planning of the next 12 months in
printing and scanning.

We will also live-stream and record everything and allow remote
participation.

This way we also overcome the fact that Linux Plumbers clashes with the
PWG meeting in November and that we did not get any audience on the
previous Plumbers.

The conference will start with our OpenPrinting Roadmap Sprint 2023 on

     Friday, September 8, 4pm - 8pm IST (UTC+5:30, 10:30am - 2:30pm UTC)

and continue with the main conference sessions on Saturday and Sunday,
most probably 9am-6pm IST (exact time determined by amount of sessions
scheduled).

The Roadmap Sprint will serve the same purpose as our micro-conferences
in the previous years. We will discuss and plan on all the areas of work
at OpenPrinting. So principally the sessions should be again a short
talk with following discussion, but as we are not at Plumbers, rules are
not that strict and so if you want to give a regular talk this is no
problem for one or another session (Ira).

The conference web site is here:

     https://events.canonical.com/e/mandi2023

To plan the Roadmap Sprint, please write up what you want to talk
about/discuss and submit it to the Call for Abstracts, and choose
"OpenPrinting Roadmap Sprint" as the track.

As contribution type choose "BoF" when it is mostly discussion, as we
had on Plumbers and one of the talk formats if you want to give a talk.
The times are mostly a hint, we will adjust the times when scheduling
the Sprint, to get the best from the 4 hours.

The scheduling we will discuss here on the list and also in our monthly
video meetings.

Remote speaking is encouraged and allowed. We will also stream and
record the Sprint (and also the other conference days). Aveek, me, and
our GSoC contributors/mentors will be in-person in the room.

All the other tracks in the Call for Abstracts are for Saturday and
Sunday, you can also submit there if you want to present to a wider
audience and/or something not fitting into the Roadmap Sprint and you
are attending in-person or willing to remote-speak on a weekend day.

So let us have a great Roadmap Sprint ...

    Till

* [Printing-architecture] REMINDER: OpenPrinting Roadmap Sprint 2023 on the Opportunity Open Source in the IIT Mandi in India
@ 2023-08-21  7:14 ` Till Kamppeter
From: Till Kamppeter @ 2023-08-21  7:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Open Printing
  Cc: Kate Stewart, Benjamin Gordon, Piotr Pawliczek, Piotr Pawliczek,
	Aveek Basu, Jeff Licquia

Hi,

I did not yet get any talk submission for our Roadmap Sprint.

Please submit at

     https://events.canonical.com/event/35/abstracts/

ASAP. We need your abstracts to be able to do the scheduling.

My suggestion for the Roadmap Sprint is:

   - IPP - Ira McDonald
   - CUPS 2.5/3.x - Michael Sweet
   - OAuth2 - Michael Sweet, Piotr Pawliczek
   - Immutable distros, packaging - Till Kamppeter
   - Desktop Integration - Till Kamppeter
   - General Q & A - Till Kamppeter

This is only a suggestion, feel free to suggest any other session.

So please post your submission.

A reminder (and correction of time):

The Roadmap Sprint takes place on Friday Sep 8, 5-9pm IST (UTC+5:30,
11:30am - 3:30pm UTC)

    Till

On 08/07/2023 00:22, Till Kamppeter wrote:
> [...]
> had on Plumbers and one of the talk formats if you want to give a talk.
> The times are mostly a hint, we will adjust the times when scheduling
> the Sprint, to get the best from the 4 hours.
>
> The scheduling we will discuss here on the list and also in our monthly
> video meetings.
>
> Remote speaking is encouraged and allowed. We will also stream and
> record the Sprint (and also the other conference days). Aveek, me, and
> our GSoC contributors/mentors will be in-person in the room.
>
> All the other tracks in the Call for Abstracts are for Saturday and
> Sunday, you can also submit there if you want to present to a wider
> audience and/or something not fitting into the Roadmap Sprint and you
> are attending in-person or willing to remote-speak on a weekend day.
>
> So let us have a great Roadmap Sprint ...

* Re: [Printing-architecture] REMINDER: OpenPrinting Roadmap Sprint 2023 on the Opportunity Open Source in the IIT Mandi in India
@ 2023-08-23 14:25   ` Ira McDonald
From: Ira McDonald @ 2023-08-23 14:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Till Kamppeter, Ira McDonald
  Cc: Kate Stewart, Benjamin Gordon, Piotr Pawliczek, Piotr Pawliczek,
	Aveek Basu, Jeff Licquia, Open Printing

All - As I explained to Till and Aveek yesterday on our OP Monthly call, I
can't commit
to be a presenter at the OP Roadmap Sprint because it overlaps with the
final day of
an ISO PWI 8477 three day Hybrid F2F (Munich, Germany) that I have to
attend.  If
that ISO meeting ends early, then I'll try to join the OP Roadmap Sprint
conference.

Good luck,
- Ira

*Ira McDonald (Musician / Software Architect)*

*Chair - SAE Trust Anchors and Authentication TF*
*Co-Chair - TCG Trusted Mobility Solutions WG*

*Co-Chair - TCG Metadata Access Protocol SG*

*Chair - Linux Foundation Open Printing WGSecretary - IEEE-ISTO Printer
Working GroupCo-Chair - IEEE-ISTO PWG Internet Printing Protocol WGIETF
Designated Expert - IPP & Printer MIBBlue Roof Music / High North
Inchttp://sites.google.com/site/blueroofmusic
<http://sites.google.com/site/blueroofmusic>http://sites.google.com/site/highnorthinc
<http://sites.google.com/site/highnorthinc>mailto: blueroofmusic@gmail.com
<blueroofmusic@gmail.com>(permanent) PO Box 221  Grand Marais, MI 49839
906-494-2434*

@ 2023-08-24 16:49   ` Till Kamppeter
From: Till Kamppeter @ 2023-08-24 16:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Open Printing, Zdenek Dohnal
  Cc: Kate Stewart, Benjamin Gordon, Piotr Pawliczek, Piotr Pawliczek,
	Aveek Basu, Jeff Licquia

Hi all,

After removing Ira's IPP talk and Piotr's OAuth session we remain with:

>    - CUPS 2.5/3.x - Michael Sweet
>    - Immutable distros, packaging - Till Kamppeter
>    - Desktop Integration - Till Kamppeter
>    - General Q & A - Till Kamppeter

And as we did not really plan actual new features but just are on the
way to implement all of them, I am thinking about renaming the series
just into "OpenPrinting" (no "Roadmap Sprint") with the principal idea
to show the students in Mandi what OpenPrinting is doing and where
volunteers are needed.

Zdenek, I want to ask you whether you would also attend our OpenPrinting
track (remotely). Also would be nice if you could give a talk/host a
session, about anything Red-Hat-related with printing.

Zdenek, independent if you present something or just only attend, I will
connect you so that you can talk live in the discussions.

Zdenek, with Mike and you on the virtual stage and me in the room we
have at least the core team of OpenPrinting in the session. There will
also some of the GSoC contributors/mentors from Mandi, and depending on
how we finally schedule, also Aveek, also perhaps Ira, depending how
quickly his commitments end on that day.

So the students in Mandi will meet the team and I hope they get
attracted to join OPenPrinting.

By the way, even if not actually a Roadmap Sprint any more, everything
will get streamed live and not only the in-person audience can ask
questions but also anyone watching us on YouTube or Twitch can type
questions.

    Till