printing-architecture.lists.linux.dev archive mirror
* [Printing-architecture] driverless clients after cups upgrade and general qyestion about larger environment concepts
@ 2023-03-08  8:03 Beyer, Christoph
From: Beyer, Christoph @ 2023-03-08  8:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Printing-architecture

Hi,

I am new on this list and would like to bother you with a (maybe stupid question) right away :)

I do run a 'large' environment with roughly 1.000 queues pointing to 500 printers, the current setup involves a lpd server as a backend talking to the printers and different cups servers for different departments offering the relevant share of the queues to the LINUX clients.

I use the factory provided PPD files for the printers and lpadmin to install the printers on the cups server (with an lpd backend pointing to the lpd server) then poll-server <cups-server-of-this-department> directive in cups-browsed.conf on the LINUX client.

After a recent upgrade to CUPS 2.4.1 on the cups servers (coming from ubuntu 18.04- whatever cups version that was)  support for color printing stopped and on the clients desktops I recognize that the printers are visible but tagged as 'driverless' which is probably part of my problem (?)

Maybe the whole concept is also a bit ignorant towards the ideas of cups but for quite a while I did not really see the concept of a client-server model for larger entreprise installations that can not rely on browsing etc.  ?

Any insight would be much appreciated !

Best
christoph

* Re: [Printing-architecture] driverless clients after cups upgrade and general qyestion about larger environment concepts
@ 2023-03-08 11:22 ` Zdenek Dohnal
From: Zdenek Dohnal @ 2023-03-08 11:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: printing-architecture; +Cc: Till Kamppeter

Hi,

there was a bug regarding color printing in 2.4.1, which is mostly fixed
(only one corner case remains to fix) in the current master branch of CUPS.

Relevant PRs:

https://github.com/OpenPrinting/cups/pull/417

https://github.com/OpenPrinting/cups/pull/451

https://github.com/OpenPrinting/cups/pull/500

You can ask your distro maintainer for including those patches until
there is a new release.

(@Till ^^)

Zdenek

On 3/8/23 09:03, Beyer, Christoph wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am new on this list and would like to bother you with a (maybe stupid question) right away :)
>
> I do run a 'large' environment with roughly 1.000 queues pointing to 500 printers, the current setup involves a lpd server as a backend talking to the printers and different cups servers for different departments offering the relevant share of the queues to the LINUX clients.
>
> I use the factory provided PPD files for the printers and lpadmin to install the printers on the cups server (with an lpd backend pointing to the lpd server) then poll-server <cups-server-of-this-department> directive in cups-browsed.conf on the LINUX client.
>
> After a recent upgrade to CUPS 2.4.1 on the cups servers (coming from ubuntu 18.04- whatever cups version that was)  support for color printing stopped and on the clients desktops I recognize that the printers are visible but tagged as 'driverless' which is probably part of my problem (?)
>
> Maybe the whole concept is also a bit ignorant towards the ideas of cups but for quite a while I did not really see the concept of a client-server model for larger entreprise installations that can not rely on browsing etc.  ?
>
> Any insight would be much appreciated !
>
> Best
> christoph

Zdenek Dohnal