printing-architecture.lists.linux.dev archive mirror
* [Printing-architecture] First beta of pappl-retrofit released!
@ 2023-02-10 23:54 Till Kamppeter
From: Till Kamppeter @ 2023-02-10 23:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Open Printing, Zdenek Dohnal, jsmeix, Thorsten Alteholz,
	Frederik Feichtmeier, Michael Sweet, Sebastien Bacher,
	Ken VanDine

Hi,

in the course of creating the first Debian package of pappl-retrofit
(for Ubuntu) I have done some fixes and improvements on the 1.0b1
version and released them in version 1.0b2.

Besides many little fixes in the source code documentation I have added
support for the Legacy Printer Application being run permanently as a
system daemon. So distros can opt for this mode via a simple command
line option to the ./configure call.

This way a user who wants to continue using a certain CUPS printer
driver, which is installed as classic driver, only needs to install
their distro's Legacy Printer Application package, and create a printer
in the Legacy Printer Application's web interface.

Here we go:

https://openprinting.github.io/pappl-retrofit-Second-Beta-Release/

There are also GitHub discussions set up for each release now.

    Till

* [Printing-architecture] First beta of pappl-retrofit released!
@ 2022-12-09 21:27 Till Kamppeter
From: Till Kamppeter @ 2022-12-09 21:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Open Printing, Zdenek Dohnal, jsmeix, Thorsten Alteholz,
	Frederik Feichtmeier, Michael Sweet, Sebastien Bacher,
	Ken VanDine

Hi,

After two years of development (first year as part of the PostScript
Printer Application) I am finally spinning a first release of
pappl-retrofit, the library to convert classic CUPS printer drivers and
PPD files into Printer Applications.

With CUPS 3.x (does not support PPDs/classic drivers) around the corner
and also my plans to switch to the CUPS Snap (does not support
PPDs/classic drivers) as default printing system in Ubuntu 23.04
(Feature Freeze Feb 2023) we need to make pappl-retrofit "distro-ready",
so it needs releases and versions.

Therefore I have released 1.0b1 now and ask everyone of you to test and
also to start distro-packaging, for Debian, Red Hat, SUSE, ...

Here we go:

https://openprinting.github.io/pappl-retrofit-First-Beta-Release/