printing-architecture.lists.linux.dev archive mirror
* Re: CUPS Trademark
       [not found] <cbcc39b7-079d-4e5d-bd4a-f3e29e03f8b2@gmail.com>
@ 2024-01-07 15:57 ` Till Kamppeter
From: Till Kamppeter @ 2024-01-07 15:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jorge Fábregas, Michael Sweet, OpenPrinting

Hi,

thanks for your e-mail.

I am including Michael Sweet as he had made the arrangement with Apple.

I also include our mailing list as this question could have more people
interested.

Michael, could you tell more?

    Till

P. S.: https://youtu.be/CLEMiM0L2Jk

On 07/01/2024 12:01, Jorge Fábregas wrote:
> Hi Till,
>
> I am a sysadmin from  San Juan, Puerto Rico. I've been binge-reading
> your old blog posts on openprinting.github.io - super helpful stuff.
> Thanks for writing them.
>
> Quick curosity. Were there any issues with the fork of CUPS and its use
> of the name "Openprinting CUPS"? Any concerns about potential trademark
> conflicts, or does the inclusion of "Openprinting" in the name provide
> sufficient distinction? Or did Apple give the green light?
>
> Appreciate your time! Thanks.

* Re: CUPS Trademark
@ 2024-01-08  0:20   ` Michael Sweet
From: Michael Sweet @ 2024-01-08  0:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Till Kamppeter; +Cc: Jorge Fábregas, OpenPrinting

Till/Jorge,

> On Jan 7, 2024, at 10:57 AM, Till Kamppeter <till.kamppeter@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> thanks for your e-mail.
>
> I am including Michael Sweet as he had made the arrangement with Apple.
>
> I also include our mailing list as this question could have more people interested.
>
> Michael, could you tell more?

Apple never went through the process to register the CUPS trademark.  When my previous company had tried doing a trademark on the old acronym (Common UNIX Printing System) and had it kicked back because of the "UNIX" in the name.  So we've only ever had the unregistered trademark protecting the "CUPS" name.

So WRT the OpenPrinting CUPS name, it is totally OK.

________________________
Michael Sweet

* Re: CUPS Trademark
@ 2024-01-08  0:43     ` Jorge Fábregas
From: Jorge Fábregas @ 2024-01-08  0:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Sweet, Till Kamppeter; +Cc: OpenPrinting

On 1/7/24 8:20 PM, Michael Sweet wrote:
> Apple never went through the process to register the CUPS trademark.
> When my previous company had tried doing a trademark on the old acronym
> (Common UNIX Printing System) and had it kicked back because of the
> "UNIX" in the name.  So we've only ever had the unregistered trademark
> protecting the "CUPS" name.
>
> So WRT the OpenPrinting CUPS name, it is totally OK.

Thanks Michael. Interesting! It all turned out much simpler than I
thought :)

Thank you Till as well for connecting me and for the YouTube video (I'll
watch it).

Best regards!

--
Jorge