qemu-devel.nongnu.org archive mirror
* Re: Integration of qemu-img
       [not found] <00fc01d61256$35f849c0$a1e8dd40$@fau.de>
@ 2020-04-16  7:50 ` Markus Armbruster
From: Markus Armbruster @ 2020-04-16  7:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: janine.schneider; +Cc: qemu-devel, qemu-block

Cc: qemu-block

<janine.schneider@fau.de> writes:

> Dear Sir or Madam,
>

> I am a PhD student at the Friedrich-Alexander-University Erlangen-Nürnberg
> in Bavaria Germany and I am currently working on an open-source forensic
> analysis tool. I would like to use qemu-img for converting virtual discs to
> raw files and to get virtual disc information. By now I tried to create a
> qemu-img DLL with the qemu source code you provide on your website, but I am
> unable to compile it properly. Therefore, I would like to ask you if there
> is a simple solution to integrate qemu-img to other C++ projects? Or is
> there a precompiled qemu-img DLL which I could use? Thank you very much for
> your support.
>

> Best,
>
> Janine Schneider

* Re: Integration of qemu-img
@ 2020-04-22 16:18   ` Stefan Hajnoczi
       [not found]     ` <006e01d61958$de787120$9b695360$@fau.de>
From: Stefan Hajnoczi @ 2020-04-22 16:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: janine.schneider; +Cc: qemu-devel, qemu-block

On Thu, Apr 16, 2020 at 09:50:48AM +0200, Markus Armbruster wrote:
> Cc: qemu-block
>
> <janine.schneider@fau.de> writes:
>
> > Dear Sir or Madam,
> >

> > I am a PhD student at the Friedrich-Alexander-University Erlangen-Nürnberg
> > in Bavaria Germany and I am currently working on an open-source forensic
> > analysis tool. I would like to use qemu-img for converting virtual discs to
> > raw files and to get virtual disc information. By now I tried to create a
> > qemu-img DLL with the qemu source code you provide on your website, but I am
> > unable to compile it properly. Therefore, I would like to ask you if there
> > is a simple solution to integrate qemu-img to other C++ projects? Or is
> > there a precompiled qemu-img DLL which I could use? Thank you very much for
> > your support.

Can you simply spawn a qemu-img process from your application?  That
would be much easier than trying to build it as a library and link it
into your application.

qemu-img has --output=json exactly for this case.  It will let you parse
the output as JSON.

Stefan

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Integration of qemu-img
       [not found]     ` <006e01d61958$de787120$9b695360$@fau.de>
@ 2020-04-23 10:40       ` Stefan Hajnoczi
From: Stefan Hajnoczi @ 2020-04-23 10:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: janine.schneider; +Cc: qemu-devel, qemu block

On Thu, Apr 23, 2020 at 11:20 AM <janine.schneider@fau.de> wrote:
> this requires the user of the application to install qemu first right?
> If this is the case then this is unfortunately not an option. The user shall
> not be bothered with installing anything else then the tool.

Hi Janine,
Please use Reply-All to keep the email CC list in tact.  That way
qemu-devel@nongnu.org will receive our replies and the discussion will
stay on the mailing list.  Thanks!

It's common for applications to consist of more than a single
executable file.  They could have shared libraries, data files, or
other executables like qemu-img.exe.  You can distribute qemu-img.exe
together with your application as part of a zip file or installer.

Regardless of whether you ship qemu-img.exe or build a library, please
check QEMU's software license so that you can follow the terms of the
GPL open source license.

Stefan

* AW: Integration of qemu-img
@ 2020-04-23 10:53         ` janine.schneider
From: janine.schneider @ 2020-04-23 10:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Stefan Hajnoczi'; +Cc: 'qemu-devel', 'qemu block'

Hy again,

okay so now we have an easy way out just in case.
But I still want to build an DLL and/or a shared library for integration into the tool. I want the tool to be platform independent and I was already able to build qemu-img as cross build with mingw64. Does anybody have experience in building a qemu library or tried it already?
The tool I want to integrate qemu in is published under GPL itself. And if I am able to build qemu as library I will share it with the community and everybody interested in having it.

Best,
Janine

@ 2020-04-23 11:03           ` Daniel P. Berrangé
From: Daniel P. Berrangé @ 2020-04-23 11:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: janine.schneider
  Cc: 'Stefan Hajnoczi', 'qemu-devel', 'qemu block'

On Thu, Apr 23, 2020 at 12:53:48PM +0200, janine.schneider@fau.de wrote:
> Hy again,
>
> okay so now we have an easy way out just in case.
> But I still want to build an DLL and/or a shared library for integration
> into the tool. I want the tool to be platform independent and I was
> already able to build qemu-img as cross build with mingw64. Does anybody
> have experience in building a qemu library or tried it already?

It has been discussed in the past, but general wasn't considered a
viable, because any apps using it would have to be strictly licensed
as GPLv2-only. This would prevent the library being used by anything
that includes GPLv3 code, or obviously from closed source apps. This
would seriously restrict how useful any library was.

I would also note that QEMU disk code is not robust against malicously
created disk images. It is possible to create images that inflict
a denial of service in terms of memory and CPU usage. Thus if an
application is handling disk images obtained from untrusted users,
it is desirable for qemu-img to be a separate process, such that
you can put strict resource limits on it as protection against DoS.

> The tool I want to integrate qemu in is published under GPL itself. And
> if I am able to build qemu as library I will share it with the community
> and everybody interested in having it.

Regards,
Daniel