qemu-devel.nongnu.org archive mirror
* QEMU CI failure of cross-i386-* targets (meson picks wrong glib for native target)
@ 2021-12-24 10:34 Alessandro Di Federico via
From: Alessandro Di Federico via @ 2021-12-24 10:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paolo Bonzini; +Cc: tsimpson, Anton Johansson via, Brian Cain

Hi Paolo, I'm trying to get the QEMU CI run successfully for the
idef-parser patchset. However I'm facing an issue I haven't been able
to work around with meson. Maybe you can help?

The failing tests are cross-i386-*

    https://gitlab.com/carl.cudig/qemu/-/jobs/1437392669
    https://gitlab.com/carl.cudig/qemu/-/jobs/1437392673
    https://gitlab.com/carl.cudig/qemu/-/jobs/1437392671

I think the problem is that we're adding a new build-time dependency:
glib. However glib is also a run-time dependency and, AFAIU, when cross
compiling for x86 on a x86-64 machine, if you create a native
executable, meson picks up the x86 version of glib (as opposed to the
x86-64).

I've been fiddling with this for a while, unsuccessfully.

Relevant portion of the code:

    https://gitlab.com/carl.cudig/qemu/-/commit/c020958c37fa723f7e933a58b1bb1c3668ff4cff#8145a41027f26ff426d5a2c8b00c56f227943165_198_202

Happy holidays!

--
Alessandro Di Federico
rev.ng Labs Srl

* Re: QEMU CI failure of cross-i386-* targets (meson picks wrong glib for native target)
@ 2021-12-24 21:25 ` Paolo Bonzini
From: Paolo Bonzini @ 2021-12-24 21:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alessandro Di Federico; +Cc: Brian Cain, Taylor Simpson, Anton Johansson via

Is the configure script setting $cross_compile to yes? That will decide
whether meson getting a --cross-file or a --native-file option, and
consequently whether it treats the host and build machines as equal or
different.

Paolo

@ 2021-12-29 11:03   ` Alessandro Di Federico via
From: Alessandro Di Federico via @ 2021-12-29 11:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paolo Bonzini; +Cc: Brian Cain, Taylor Simpson, Anton Johansson

On Fri, 24 Dec 2021 22:25:24 +0100
Paolo Bonzini <pbonzini@redhat.com> wrote:

> Is the configure script setting $cross_compile to yes? That will
> decide whether meson getting a --cross-file or a --native-file
> option, and consequently whether it treats the host and build
> machines as equal or different.

From what I can see cross_compile is set only if --cross-prefix is set,
which doesn't seem to be the case for most containers (e.g., s390x)
but not for i386:

    tests/docker/dockerfiles/debian-s390x-cross.docker:ENV QEMU_CONFIGURE_OPTS --cross-prefix=s390x-linux-gnu-
    tests/docker/dockerfiles/fedora-i386-cross.docker:ENV QEMU_CONFIGURE_OPTS --cpu=i386 --disable-vhost-user

I can try to set `--cross-prefix=x86_64-redhat-linux-` but I guess this
will prevent certain tests to run (given the cross-compile environment).

I'll give it a shot.

--
Alessandro Di Federico
rev.ng Labs Srl