qemu-devel.nongnu.org archive mirror
* 9p: requests efficiency
@ 2019-11-15  1:10 Christian Schoenebeck
From: Christian Schoenebeck @ 2019-11-15  1:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: qemu-devel; +Cc: Greg Kurz

I'm currently reading up on how client requests (T messages) are currently
dispatched in general by 9pfs, to understand where potential inefficiencies
are that I am encountering.

I mean 9pfs is pretty fast on raw I/O (read/write requests), provided that the
message payload on guest side was chosen large enough (e.g.
trans=virtio,version=9p2000.L,msize=4194304,...), where I already come close
to my test disk's therotical maximum performance on read/write tests. But
obviously these are huge 9p requests.

However when there are a large number of (i.e. small) 9p requests, no matter
what the actual request type is, then I am encountering severe performance
issues with 9pfs and I try to understand whether this could be improved with
reasonable effort.

If I understand it correctly, each incoming request (T message) is dispatched
to its own qemu coroutine queue. So individual requests should already be
processed in parallel, right?

Best regards,
Christian Schoenebeck