qemu-devel.nongnu.org archive mirror
* [Qemu-devel] Python3 support for patches
@ 2019-09-13 19:32 John Snow
From: John Snow @ 2019-09-13 19:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: qemu-devel; +Cc: Peter Maydell, Stefan Hajnoczi

Hi,

I quite like the patches tool; but python2 is notably doomed.

I tried my hand at polishing it up for python3 and pushed the results
here: https://github.com/jnsnow/patches/tree/python3

I didn't faff around with trying to add simultaneous support: this is a
direct conversion in one big chunk. I used 2to3 and supplemented with
pylint and flake8 to find problem spots.

I don't use all of the features of this tool, but maybe if you'd like to
give this a try you can test this branch and let me know if I missed any
spots.

You can install patches 0.3.1 using the standard incantations:
> python3 setup.py install --user

If it's too broken, you can uninstall it later with:
> pip3 uninstall patches

You may need to check back to the master branch and force a
reinstallation of the python2 version to get the bin back in your PATH:

> git checkout master
> python2 setup.py install --user

Happy python2 doomsday,
--js