qemu-devel.nongnu.org archive mirror
* [Qemu-devel] KVH call for agenda for 2016-02-16
@ 2016-02-10 15:42 Juan Quintela
From: Juan Quintela @ 2016-02-10 15:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi

Please, send any topic that you are interested in covering.

At the end of Monday I will send an email with the agenda or the
cancellation of the call, so hurry up.

After discussions on the QEMU Summit, we are going to have always open a
KVM call where you can add topics.

 Call details:

By popular demand, a google calendar public entry with it

  https://www.google.com/calendar/embed?src=dG9iMXRqcXAzN3Y4ZXZwNzRoMHE4a3BqcXNAZ3JvdXAuY2FsZW5kYXIuZ29vZ2xlLmNvbQ

(Let me know if you have any problems with the calendar entry.  I just
gave up about getting right at the same time CEST, CET, EDT and DST).

If you need phone number details,  contact me privately

Thanks, Juan.

* Re: [Qemu-devel] KVH call for agenda for 2016-02-16
@ 2016-02-10 15:48 ` Christian Borntraeger
From: Christian Borntraeger @ 2016-02-10 15:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Matthew Rosato, David Hildenbrand, David Gibson,
	Andreas Färber, Bharata B Rao

On 02/10/2016 04:42 PM, Juan Quintela wrote:

> Hi
>
> Please, send any topic that you are interested in covering.
>
> At the end of Monday I will send an email with the agenda or the
> cancellation of the call, so hurry up.
>
> After discussions on the QEMU Summit, we are going to have always open a
> KVM call where you can add topics.
>
>  Call details:
>
> By popular demand, a google calendar public entry with it
>
>   https://www.google.com/calendar/embed?src=dG9iMXRqcXAzN3Y4ZXZwNzRoMHE4a3BqcXNAZ3JvdXAuY2FsZW5kYXIuZ29vZ2xlLmNvbQ
>
> (Let me know if you have any problems with the calendar entry.  I just
> gave up about getting right at the same time CEST, CET, EDT and DST).
>
> If you need phone number details,  contact me privately
>
> Thanks, Juan.

Since we seem to be stuck, I propose CPU hotplug as agenda item.

* Re: [Qemu-devel] KVH call for agenda for 2016-02-16
@ 2016-02-12 17:28   ` Andreas Färber
From: Andreas Färber @ 2016-02-12 17:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christian Borntraeger, quintela
	David Hildenbrand, Bharata B Rao, David Gibson

Am 10.02.2016 um 16:48 schrieb Christian Borntraeger:
> On 02/10/2016 04:42 PM, Juan Quintela wrote:
>> Please, send any topic that you are interested in covering.
>>
>> At the end of Monday I will send an email with the agenda or the
>> cancellation of the call, so hurry up.
>>
>> After discussions on the QEMU Summit, we are going to have always open a
>> KVM call where you can add topics.
>
> Since we seem to be stuck, I propose CPU hotplug as agenda item.

Thank you, confirming that I will be able to attend.

Regards,
Andreas

GF: Felix Imendörffer, Jane Smithard, Graham Norton; HRB 21284 (AG Nürnberg)

* Re: [Qemu-devel] KVM call for agenda for 2016-02-16
@ 2016-02-16 11:54 ` Christian Borntraeger
From: Christian Borntraeger @ 2016-02-16 11:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Matthew Rosato, Peter Maydell, Eduardo Habkost,
	David Hildenbrand, Paul Mackerras, Bharata B Rao,
	Andreas Färber, David Gibson

So my quick and dirty summary of CPU as _I_ understand it
(and I only have some part time bandwidth at the moment for that)

x86 has cpu hotplug. Some history
qemu-kvm had cpu_set in the past
qemu has cpu_add for a while now
libvirt code uses cpu_add cross-platform out of the box

proposal to use device_add. Currently this has the following issues that
we need to discuss:
- will require capability checking and dual code in libvirt (and libvirt updates)
- Power has some constraints that are hard to model with just device add
	- David Gibson proposes a two layer interface
		- low level: device add cpu-package
		- high level
- David Hildenbrand has some concerns regarding CPU models (with base model + feature
  on/off), as device_add needs instantiatable type
- devel_del: s390 has no interface for cpu removal (Matts latest patches reset the
machine just like z/VM - until we have some interface)
- anything else? (cpu hotplug on ARM or MIPS?)

Would be good to use todays call to have a plan how to finish things soon.
(maybe even for 2.6)

Christian

* Re: [Qemu-devel] KVM call for agenda for 2016-02-16
@ 2016-02-17 20:40   ` Eduardo Habkost
From: Eduardo Habkost @ 2016-02-17 20:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christian Borntraeger
	qemu-develQEMU Developer, David Hildenbrand, Paul Mackerras,

On Tue, Feb 16, 2016 at 12:54:57PM +0100, Christian Borntraeger wrote:
> So my quick and dirty summary of CPU as _I_ understand it
> (and I only have some part time bandwidth at the moment for that)
>
> x86 has cpu hotplug. Some history
> qemu-kvm had cpu_set in the past
> qemu has cpu_add for a while now
> libvirt code uses cpu_add cross-platform out of the box
>
> proposal to use device_add. Currently this has the following issues that
> we need to discuss:
> - will require capability checking and dual code in libvirt (and libvirt updates)
> - Power has some constraints that are hard to model with just device add
> 	- David Gibson proposes a two layer interface
> 		- low level: device add cpu-package
> 		- high level
> - David Hildenbrand has some concerns regarding CPU models (with base model + feature
>   on/off), as device_add needs instantiatable type
> - devel_del: s390 has no interface for cpu removal (Matts latest patches reset the
> machine just like z/VM - until we have some interface)
> - anything else? (cpu hotplug on ARM or MIPS?)
>
> Would be good to use todays call to have a plan how to finish things soon.
> (maybe even for 2.6)

Did the call happen? I am away from work for most days during the
next 2 weeks, so I couldn't attend.

--
Eduardo

* Re: [Qemu-devel] KVM call for agenda for 2016-02-16
@ 2016-02-17 22:51     ` Juan Quintela
From: Juan Quintela @ 2016-02-17 22:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eduardo Habkost
	David Hildenbrand, qemu-develQEMU Developer,
	Christian Borntraeger, Paul Mackerras, Bharata B Rao,

Eduardo Habkost <ehabkost@redhat.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 16, 2016 at 12:54:57PM +0100, Christian Borntraeger wrote:
>> So my quick and dirty summary of CPU as _I_ understand it
>> (and I only have some part time bandwidth at the moment for that)
>>
>> x86 has cpu hotplug. Some history
>> qemu-kvm had cpu_set in the past
>> qemu has cpu_add for a while now
>> libvirt code uses cpu_add cross-platform out of the box
>>
>> proposal to use device_add. Currently this has the following issues that
>> we need to discuss:
>> - will require capability checking and dual code in libvirt (and libvirt updates)
>> - Power has some constraints that are hard to model with just device add
>> 	- David Gibson proposes a two layer interface
>> 		- low level: device add cpu-package
>> 		- high level
>> - David Hildenbrand has some concerns regarding CPU models (with base model + feature
>>   on/off), as device_add needs instantiatable type
>> - devel_del: s390 has no interface for cpu removal (Matts latest patches reset the
>> machine just like z/VM - until we have some interface)
>> - anything else? (cpu hotplug on ARM or MIPS?)
>>
>> Would be good to use todays call to have a plan how to finish things soon.
>> (maybe even for 2.6)
>
> Did the call happen? I am away from work for most days during the
> next 2 weeks, so I couldn't attend.

Yeap.  I sent some minutes, but they are kind of incoherent, I hope that
Andreas or Christian fill the holes...

Later, Juan.

* Re: [Qemu-devel] KVM call for agenda for 2016-02-16
@ 2016-02-22 19:02       ` Thomas Huth
From: Thomas Huth @ 2016-02-22 19:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 17.02.2016 23:51, Juan Quintela wrote:
> Eduardo Habkost <ehabkost@redhat.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, Feb 16, 2016 at 12:54:57PM +0100, Christian Borntraeger wrote:
>>> So my quick and dirty summary of CPU as _I_ understand it
>>> (and I only have some part time bandwidth at the moment for that)
>>>
>>> x86 has cpu hotplug. Some history
>>> qemu-kvm had cpu_set in the past
>>> qemu has cpu_add for a while now
>>> libvirt code uses cpu_add cross-platform out of the box
>>>
>>> proposal to use device_add. Currently this has the following issues that
>>> we need to discuss:
>>> - will require capability checking and dual code in libvirt (and libvirt updates)
>>> - Power has some constraints that are hard to model with just device add
>>> 	- David Gibson proposes a two layer interface
>>> 		- low level: device add cpu-package
>>> 		- high level
>>> - David Hildenbrand has some concerns regarding CPU models (with base model + feature
>>>   on/off), as device_add needs instantiatable type
>>> - devel_del: s390 has no interface for cpu removal (Matts latest patches reset the
>>> machine just like z/VM - until we have some interface)
>>> - anything else? (cpu hotplug on ARM or MIPS?)
>>>
>>> Would be good to use todays call to have a plan how to finish things soon.
>>> (maybe even for 2.6)
>>
>> Did the call happen? I am away from work for most days during the
>> next 2 weeks, so I couldn't attend.
>
> Yeap.  I sent some minutes, but they are kind of incoherent, I hope that
> Andreas or Christian fill the holes...

 Hi Juan,

did you sent the minutes to the mailing list? ... In case you did not
sent it to the list yet, could you please do so, so we've got a base for
further discussion? (and if you did already, could you please point me
to the right mail?)

Thanks a lot!

 Thomas

* Re: [Qemu-devel] KVM call for agenda for 2016-02-16
@ 2016-02-23  9:59         ` Juan Quintela
From: Juan Quintela @ 2016-02-23  9:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thomas Huth <thuth@redhat.com> wrote:
> On 17.02.2016 23:51, Juan Quintela wrote:
>> Eduardo Habkost <ehabkost@redhat.com> wrote:

>>> Did the call happen? I am away from work for most days during the
>>> next 2 weeks, so I couldn't attend.
>>
>> Yeap.  I sent some minutes, but they are kind of incoherent, I hope that
>> Andreas or Christian fill the holes...
>
>  Hi Juan,
>
> did you sent the minutes to the mailing list? ... In case you did not
> sent it to the list yet, could you please do so, so we've got a base for
> further discussion? (and if you did already, could you please point me
> to the right mail?)
>
> Thanks a lot!

Just resent, I did it to the wrong address, sorry.

Later, Juan.