qemu-devel.nongnu.org archive mirror
* [GSoC/Outreachy] Arduino complete setup visualization and emulation
@ 2020-02-10 19:58 Philippe Mathieu-Daudé
From: Philippe Mathieu-Daudé @ 2020-02-10 19:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: qemu-devel@nongnu.org Developers, Joaquin de Andres
  Cc: Marc-André Lureau, Pavel Dovgalyuk, Markus Armbruster,
	Stefan Hajnoczi, Michael Rolnik

[*] Goal:

Be able to use a visual virtual arduino board, and program it with
the Arduino IDE. The result should be easily usable by newcomers to
the Arduino world.

[*] Prerequisite:

- AVR port and Arduino machines merged upstream
- AVR flash device working (for firmware upload via IDE)

This works applies to a specific circuit configuration represented as
a netlist.

[*] Deliverables

- IDE Integration
  Configure QEMU with the Arduino IDE (using chardev UART0).
  Compile program and upload via serial.

- UI: Python:
  Connect UART1 (via QMP or chardev), display as textbox
  (input is not important at this point).

- QEMU: GPIO
  Produce script to extract GPIO devices used from the netlist.
  Configure QEMU devices to use the previous names/values.
  Publish GPIO events (name, tension as float) via a QMP socket
  (JSON form?).
  Write test which runs FreeRTOS test to generates a stable output.

- UI interface (Python)
  Connect to the QMP socket and display the GPIO events.
  Now GPIOs are connected to LEDs. Represent graphical LEDS as ON/OFF.
  Add an oscilloscope representation (matplotlib widget). Each GPIO
  can be plugged into the oscilloscope channels.
  Add Switch and PushButton to the UI, generating QMP events which
  trigger GPIO input.
  Add push button for arduino reset (already on board) signaling the
  core, and switch for general power (for QEMU shutdown and start).

- Test with the arduino examples
  Basic: "Blink: Turn an LED on and off."

- QEMU: PWM
  Modify script to extract PWM devices used from the netlist.
  Configure QEMU devices to use the previous names/values.
  Use QEMU sound API to generate a stream of PWM values (as a wav).
  Add a QMP command to lookup the PWM wav stream.
  Write a FreeRTOS test producing a sinusoidal via PWM, verify the
  wav form.

- UI interface (Python)
  Lookup wav stream via QMP socket, connect to it, display to
  oscilloscope view.
  Add graphical representation of the LED intensity to the LED.

- Test with the arduino examples
  Analog: "Fading: Use an analog output (PWM pin) to fade an LED."

- QEMU: ADC
  Modify script to extract ADC devices used from the netlist.
  Similarly to the PWM, use sound wav stream to read ADC samples.

- UI: Python
  Add a textbox to set the ambient temperature (A thermometer is
  connected to some ADC pin).
  Use slider to set the tension sampled by the ADC (as a potentiometer)

- Test with the arduino examples
  Analog: "Analog Input: Use a potentiometer to control the blinking
  of an LED."

- QEMU: Other communication protocols
  Modify script to extract RTC (via I2C) and SD card (via SPI) from
  the netlist.

- Propose examples to Arduino IDE for these use cases.

- QEMU: Match physical electrical characteristics (extra)
  Use imprecise VOL/VOH output
  Check input within VIL/VIH range
  Mark input dead when out of range

- Extra (fun):
  Connect 2 QEMU Arduino interacting with each other

- UI: Python (extra++):
  Add Seven-Segment Display
  Add SSD1306 128×32 display controller or Nokia 5110 Graphic LCD
  Propose examples to Arduino IDE for these use cases.

Co-mentor: Philippe Mathieu-Daudé <f4bug@amsat.org>
Co-mentor: Joaquín De Andres <me@xcancerberox.com.ar>

Reference Schema:

           +-----+---------------------+
           |     |                     |
           |     |                     |
           |     |                     |
           |     |    Arduino IDE      |
           |     |                     |
           |     |                     |
           |     +---------------------+
           |     |                     |
           |     |                     |
           +-----+------------------+--+

                                    |console
              +------------------+  |chardev
              |                  |  |
              |                  <--+
              |       QEMU       |
  PWM stream  |                  |
+-------------+     AVR core     |
|             |                  |
|         +---+                  <------+
|         |   |                  |      |JSON
|    JSON |   +------------------+      |event
|    event|                             | I/O
|     I/O |                             |
|    +----v-----------------------------+---+
|    |        LED LED LED LED DIPSW         |
|    | +---+                          +---+ |
|    | |osc|    +-----------------+   |osc| |
|    | +---+    |                 |   +---+ |
|    | +---+    |                 |   +---+ |
|    | |osc|    |   Arduino board |   |osc| |
|    | +---+    |                 |   +---+ |
|    | +---+    |                 |   +---+ |
|    | |osc|    +-----------------+   |osc| |
+----> +---+                          +---+ |
     |       POT POT 7LED PWM PWM PWM       |
     |          Serial console              |

D-Bus can be considered too:

      +-----+---------------------+
      |     |                     |
      |     |                     |
      |     |                     |
      |     |    Arduino IDE      |
      |     |                     |
      |     |                     |
      |     +---------------------+
      |     |                     |
      |     |                     |
      +-----+-------------+-------+

+-----------------+       |
|                 <-------+
|                 |
|      QEMU       +---------------+
|                 |               |
|    AVR core     |         +-----v------+
|                 +--------->            |
|                 |         |            |
|                 <---------+    DBUS    |
+-----------------+         |            |
                            |            |
                            +--+----^----+
                               |    |
+----v-------------------------v----+--+
|        LED LED LED LED DIPSW         |
| +---+                          +---+ |
| |osc|    +-----------------+   |osc| |
| +---+    |                 |   +---+ |
| +---+    |                 |   +---+ |
| |osc|    |   Arduino board |   |osc| |
| +---+    |                 |   +---+ |
| +---+    |                 |   +---+ |
| |osc|    +-----------------+   |osc| |
> +---+                          +---+ |
|       POT POT 7LED PWM PWM PWM       |
|          Serial console              |

* Re: [GSoC/Outreachy] Arduino complete setup visualization and emulation
@ 2020-02-11 10:51 ` Stefan Hajnoczi
From: Stefan Hajnoczi @ 2020-02-11 10:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Philippe Mathieu-Daudé
  Cc: Pavel Dovgalyuk, Joaquin de Andres,
	qemu-devel@nongnu.org Developers, Markus Armbruster,
	Michael Rolnik, Marc-André Lureau

On Mon, Feb 10, 2020 at 08:58:28PM +0100, Philippe Mathieu-Daudé wrote:

Cool, thanks for proposing this idea!

> [*] Goal:
>
> Be able to use a visual virtual arduino board, and program it with
> the Arduino IDE. The result should be easily usable by newcomers to
> the Arduino world.

Out of curiosity, how does this compare to existing Arduino simulators?

> [*] Prerequisite:
>
> - AVR port and Arduino machines merged upstream
> - AVR flash device working (for firmware upload via IDE)

How likely is it that these dependencies will be merged by May 18th
(start of the coding period)?  If they are not merged then the intern
will not be able to get their own patches into qemu.git.

> This works applies to a specific circuit configuration represented as
> a netlist.
>
> [*] Deliverables
>
> - IDE Integration
>   Configure QEMU with the Arduino IDE (using chardev UART0).

This (https://www.arduino.cc/en/Main/Software) Java program?  Please add
links to relevant code bases, hardware specs, file formats, etc so that
someone considering the project idea can research it.

I also see Python mentioned in this project idea.  Does the intern need
to be fluent in C, Python, and Java?  Please include skill/language
requirements in the text.

>   Compile program and upload via serial.
>
> - UI: Python:
>   Connect UART1 (via QMP or chardev), display as textbox
>   (input is not important at this point).
>
> - QEMU: GPIO
>   Produce script to extract GPIO devices used from the netlist.
>   Configure QEMU devices to use the previous names/values.
>   Publish GPIO events (name, tension as float) via a QMP socket
>   (JSON form?).
>   Write test which runs FreeRTOS test to generates a stable output.
>
> - UI interface (Python)
>   Connect to the QMP socket and display the GPIO events.
>   Now GPIOs are connected to LEDs. Represent graphical LEDS as ON/OFF.
>   Add an oscilloscope representation (matplotlib widget). Each GPIO
>   can be plugged into the oscilloscope channels.
>   Add Switch and PushButton to the UI, generating QMP events which
>   trigger GPIO input.
>   Add push button for arduino reset (already on board) signaling the
>   core, and switch for general power (for QEMU shutdown and start).
>
> - Test with the arduino examples
>   Basic: "Blink: Turn an LED on and off."
>
> - QEMU: PWM
>   Modify script to extract PWM devices used from the netlist.
>   Configure QEMU devices to use the previous names/values.
>   Use QEMU sound API to generate a stream of PWM values (as a wav).
>   Add a QMP command to lookup the PWM wav stream.
>   Write a FreeRTOS test producing a sinusoidal via PWM, verify the
>   wav form.
>
> - UI interface (Python)
>   Lookup wav stream via QMP socket, connect to it, display to
>   oscilloscope view.
>   Add graphical representation of the LED intensity to the LED.
>
> - Test with the arduino examples
>   Analog: "Fading: Use an analog output (PWM pin) to fade an LED."

The tasks above could already take 12 weeks.  Especially the new QMP
commands and the UI code could be non-trivial.

I think newcomers will have a hard time designing QMP commands.  It
would help to provide the QMP command documentation so the intern
doesn't need to make design decisions in a space they are unfamiliar
with.

When Steffen Görtz experimented with similar things using the micro:bit
emulation I remember emulation timing issues were a little tricky.
Emitting LED/PWM output and displaying it without timing glitches is
non-trivial since QEMU is not very precise and guest software might be
bit banging.

> - QEMU: ADC
>   Modify script to extract ADC devices used from the netlist.
>   Similarly to the PWM, use sound wav stream to read ADC samples.
>
> - UI: Python
>   Add a textbox to set the ambient temperature (A thermometer is
>   connected to some ADC pin).
>   Use slider to set the tension sampled by the ADC (as a potentiometer)
>
> - Test with the arduino examples
>   Analog: "Analog Input: Use a potentiometer to control the blinking
>   of an LED."
>
> - QEMU: Other communication protocols
>   Modify script to extract RTC (via I2C) and SD card (via SPI) from
>   the netlist.
>
> - Propose examples to Arduino IDE for these use cases.
>
> - QEMU: Match physical electrical characteristics (extra)
>   Use imprecise VOL/VOH output
>   Check input within VIL/VIH range
>   Mark input dead when out of range
>
> - Extra (fun):
>   Connect 2 QEMU Arduino interacting with each other
>
> - UI: Python (extra++):
>   Add Seven-Segment Display
>   Add SSD1306 128×32 display controller or Nokia 5110 Graphic LCD
>   Propose examples to Arduino IDE for these use cases.

The scope of the project seems large for 12 weeks.  It could scare off
applicants or be unrealistic for an intern without lots of experience.
You could remove some tasks from the project idea and if the intern is
really quick then you can always give them additional tasks later.

> Co-mentor: Philippe Mathieu-Daudé <f4bug@amsat.org>
> Co-mentor: Joaquín De Andres <me@xcancerberox.com.ar>
>

> Reference Schema:
>
>            +-----+---------------------+
>            |     |                     |
>            |     |                     |
>            |     |                     |
>            |     |    Arduino IDE      |
>            |     |                     |
>            |     |                     |
>            |     +---------------------+
>            |     |                     |
>            |     |                     |
>            +-----+------------------+--+
>                                     |console
>               +------------------+  |chardev
>               |                  |  |
>               |                  <--+
>               |       QEMU       |
>   PWM stream  |                  |
> +-------------+     AVR core     |
> |             |                  |
> |         +---+                  <------+
> |         |   |                  |      |JSON
> |    JSON |   +------------------+      |event
> |    event|                             | I/O
> |     I/O |                             |
> |         |                             |
> |    +----v-----------------------------+---+
> |    |        LED LED LED LED DIPSW         |
> |    | +---+                          +---+ |
> |    | |osc|    +-----------------+   |osc| |
> |    | +---+    |                 |   +---+ |
> |    | +---+    |                 |   +---+ |
> |    | |osc|    |   Arduino board |   |osc| |
> |    | +---+    |                 |   +---+ |
> |    | +---+    |                 |   +---+ |
> |    | |osc|    +-----------------+   |osc| |
> +----> +---+                          +---+ |
>      |       POT POT 7LED PWM PWM PWM       |
>      +--------------------------------------+
>      |                                      |
>      |          Serial console              |
>      +--------------------------------------+

"Arduino IDE" and "QEMU" are clear.  Is the "Arduino board" component
the Python UI application?

* Re: [GSoC/Outreachy] Arduino complete setup visualization and emulation
@ 2020-02-21 10:56   ` Stefan Hajnoczi
From: Stefan Hajnoczi @ 2020-02-21 10:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Philippe Mathieu-Daudé
  Cc: Joaquin de Andres, qemu-devel@nongnu.org Developers,
	Markus Armbruster, Michael Rolnik, Marc-André Lureau,
	Pavel Dovgalyuk

On Tue, Feb 11, 2020 at 10:51:19AM +0000, Stefan Hajnoczi wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 10, 2020 at 08:58:28PM +0100, Philippe Mathieu-Daudé wrote:

Ping?

QEMU has been accepted as a mentoring organization.  Please post a final
version of this project idea on the wiki:

  https://wiki.qemu.org/Google_Summer_of_Code_2020

Thanks,
Stefan

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: [GSoC/Outreachy] Arduino complete setup visualization and emulation
@ 2020-02-21 11:14     ` Philippe Mathieu-Daudé
From: Philippe Mathieu-Daudé @ 2020-02-21 11:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Hajnoczi, Philippe Mathieu-Daudé, Joaquin de Andres
  Cc: Marc-André Lureau, Michael Rolnik,
	qemu-devel@nongnu.org Developers, Pavel Dovgalyuk,
	Markus Armbruster

On 2/21/20 11:56 AM, Stefan Hajnoczi wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 11, 2020 at 10:51:19AM +0000, Stefan Hajnoczi wrote:
>> On Mon, Feb 10, 2020 at 08:58:28PM +0100, Philippe Mathieu-Daudé wrote:
>
> Ping?
>
> QEMU has been accepted as a mentoring organization.  Please post a final
> version of this project idea on the wiki:
>
>    https://wiki.qemu.org/Google_Summer_of_Code_2020

I apologize, quickly after we chat on IRC about this last week I did the
modifications but forgot to reply to this thread.

There is the project description with 1 FIXME and 2 TODO (add the
references), we will update the wiki tomorrow:

---

[*] Goal

Be able to use a visual virtual Arduino board, and program it with
the Arduino IDE. The result should be easily usable by newcomers to
the Arduino world.

[*] Summary

The project will add a visual representation of an Arduino board.

By running the code on the emulated AVR processor, the virtual board is
updated and displays the changes. Interracting with the code via external
events (sensors) triggers changes on the UI.

[*] Materials provided

- a specific circuit configuration represented as a netlist.
- preset Arduino tests compliant with QEMU limitations
- QMP commands documentation

[*] Essential skills required

- Fluent in C
- Comfortable programming in Python
- Knowledge of Javascript might be useful (Java will *not* be used).
- Working knowledge with User Interfaces

* Electrical engineering background is not essential

[*] Deliverables

- IDE Integration
   Configure QEMU with the Arduino IDE (using chardev UART0).
   Compile program and upload via serial.
   The IDE doesn't need modifications.

- UI (Python)
   Connect UART1 (via QMP or chardev), display as textbox
   (input is not important at this point).

- QEMU: GPIO
   Produce a script to extract the GPIO devices from the netlist.
   Configure QEMU devices to use the previous names/values.
   Publish GPIO events (name as a string and tension as float) via
   a QMP socket (JSON form?).
   Write a test which runs FreeRTOS to generate a stable output.

- UI (Python)
   Connect to the QMP socket and display the GPIO events.
   Now GPIOs are connected to LEDs. Present graphical LEDs as ON/OFF.
   Add an oscilloscope representation (matplotlib widget). Each GPIO
   can be plugged into the oscilloscope channels.
   Add Switches and PushButtons to the UI, generating QMP events which
   trigger GPIO input.
   Add a push button to reset the Arduino (already on board) signaling to
   the core, and[to] switch for[to] general power (for QEMU shutdown and
start).
   ### FIXME check with Joaquin ###

- QEMU: PWM
   Modify script to extract PWM devices used from the netlist.
   Configure QEMU devices to use the previous names/values.
   Use QEMU sound API to generate a stream of PWM values (as a wav).
   Add a QMP command to lookup the PWM wav stream.
   Write a FreeRTOS test producing a sinusoidal via PWM, verify the
   wav form.

- UI (Python)
   Lookup the wav stream via the QMP socket, connect to it, display
   it on the oscilloscope view.
   Add a graphical representation of the LED intensity.

- QEMU: ADC
   Modify the script to extract the ADC devices from the netlist.
   Similarly to PWM, use the sound wav stream to read ADC samples.

- UI: Python
   Add a textbox to set the ambient temperature (a thermometer is
   connected to some ADC pins).
   Use a slider to set the tension sampled by the ADC (like if it
   was a potentiometer).

[*] Test with the preset arduino examples (### TODO add references ###)

- Basic: "Blink: Turn a LED on and off."
- Analog: "Fading: Use an analog output (PWM pin) to dim a LED."
- Analog: "Analog Input: Use a potentiometer to control the flashing
   of a LED."

Additional tasks are available for applicants who completes the project.

[References]

[*] Prerequisites:

- AVR port and Arduino machines merged upstream
- AVR flash device working (for firmware upload via IDE)

Co-mentor: Philippe Mathieu-Daudé <address@hidden>
Co-mentor: Joaquín De Andres <address@hidden>

Reference Schema:

            +-----+---------------------+
            |     |                     |
            |     |                     |
            |     |                     |
            |     |    Arduino IDE      |
            |     |                     |
            |     |                     |
            |     +---------------------+
            |     |                     |
            |     |                     |
            +-----+------------------+--+

                                     |console
               +------------------+  |chardev
               |                  |  |
               |                  <--+
               |       QEMU       |
   PWM stream  |                  |
+-------------+     AVR core     |
|             |                  |
|         +---+                  <------+
|         |   |                  |      |JSON
|    JSON |   +------------------+      |event
|    event|                             | I/O
|     I/O |                             |
|    +----v-----------------------------+---+            ---\
|    |        LED LED LED LED DIPSW         |               |
|    | +---+                          +---+ |               |
|    | |osc|    +-----------------+   |osc| |               |
|    | +---+    |                 |   +---+ |               |
|    | +---+    |                 |   +---+ |               |
|    | |osc|    |  Arduino board  |   |osc| |               |
|    | +---+    |                 |   +---+ |               | Virtual Board
|    | +---+    |                 |   +---+ |               |    (UI)
|    | |osc|    +-----------------+   |osc| |               |
+----> +---+                          +---+ |               |
      |       POT POT 7LED PWM PWM PWM       |               |
      +--------------------------------------+               |
      |                                      |               |
      |          Serial console              |               |
      +--------------------------------------+            ---/

[*] Additional tasks (saved on list)

- QEMU: Other communication protocols
   Modify the script to extract the RTC pin names (via I2C) and the SD card
   pin names (via SPI) from the netlist. ### TODO upload the netlist ###

- QEMU: Match physical electrical characteristics

   Model the VOL/VOH/VIL/VIH ranges, and consider to mark an input
   as dead if the provided value is out of range (smoke on the UI!)

- QEMU: Connect 2 virtual Arduinos and ensure they are communicating
   successfully with each other.

- UI (Python)

   Add graphical displays (Seven-Segment, SSD1306 128×32, Nokia 5110
   Graphic LCD).

- Propose additional tests (Use of RTC, SD card, LCD, ...).

---

* Re: [GSoC/Outreachy] Arduino complete setup visualization and emulation
@ 2020-02-21 18:18       ` Joaquin de Andres
From: Joaquin de Andres @ 2020-02-21 18:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Philippe Mathieu-Daudé,
	Stefan Hajnoczi, Philippe Mathieu-Daudé
  Cc: Marc-André Lureau, Michael Rolnik,

On 2/21/20 12:14 PM, Philippe Mathieu-Daudé wrote:
> On 2/21/20 11:56 AM, Stefan Hajnoczi wrote:
>> On Tue, Feb 11, 2020 at 10:51:19AM +0000, Stefan Hajnoczi wrote:
>>> On Mon, Feb 10, 2020 at 08:58:28PM +0100, Philippe Mathieu-Daudé wrote:
> [*] Test with the preset arduino examples (### TODO add references ###)
>
> - Basic: "Blink: Turn a LED on and off."
> - Analog: "Fading: Use an analog output (PWM pin) to dim a LED."
> - Analog: "Analog Input: Use a potentiometer to control the flashing
>   of a LED."

[*] Test with the preset Arduino examples [0]

- Basic: "Blink: Turn a LED on and off." [1]
- Analog: "Fading: Use an analog output (PWM pin) to dim a LED." [2]
- Analog: "Analog Input: Use a potentiometer to control the blinking
  of a LED." [3]

[0] https://www.arduino.cc/en/Tutorial/BuiltInExamples
[1] https://www.arduino.cc/en/Tutorial/Blink
[2] https://www.arduino.cc/en/Tutorial/Fading
[3] https://www.arduino.cc/en/Tutorial/AnalogInput

--Joa

* Re: [GSoC/Outreachy] Arduino complete setup visualization and emulation
@ 2020-02-24 11:25       ` Stefan Hajnoczi
From: Stefan Hajnoczi @ 2020-02-24 11:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Philippe Mathieu-Daudé
  Cc: Pavel Dovgalyuk, qemu-devel@nongnu.org Developers,
	Joaquin de Andres, Markus Armbruster, Philippe Mathieu-Daudé,
	Michael Rolnik, Marc-André Lureau