qemu-devel.nongnu.org archive mirror
* How about using a bot to guard the pull request can be apply? like rust compiler does.
@ 2020-10-26 20:14 罗勇刚(Yonggang Luo)
From: 罗勇刚(Yonggang Luo) @ 2020-10-26 20:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: qemu-level, Paolo Bonzini, Peter Maydell

Peter can @bots try to apply pull request, if pull request apply and all ci
tests passed, then the bot automatically merge the pull request and push to
the mirrors.
We even doesn't need gitlab or other things, only need the bot to monitor
the instruction from Peter.

--
         此致
礼

* Re: How about using a bot to guard the pull request can be apply? like rust compiler does.
@ 2020-10-26 20:30 ` Paolo Bonzini
From: Paolo Bonzini @ 2020-10-26 20:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yonggang Luo; +Cc: Peter Maydell, qemu-level

We will certainly have a lot more flexibility in handling application of
patches as soon as we get closer to a gating CI.

We should first make sure that Gitlab CI (directly or through custom
runners, Travis, or cirrus-build) can cover all the scenarios and tests
that Peter has in his CI. The main missing ones are NetBSD and OpenBSD
builds, and various additional tests for warnings during builds, though
there may be more. Once we do that, imagination is the limit. :-)

Paolo

@ 2020-10-26 20:32 ` Peter Maydell
From: Peter Maydell @ 2020-10-26 20:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yonggang Luo; +Cc: Paolo Bonzini, qemu-level

On Mon, 26 Oct 2020 at 20:14, 罗勇刚(Yonggang Luo) <luoyonggang@gmail.com> wrote:

> Peter can @bots try to apply pull request, if pull request apply and all ci tests passed, then the bot automatically merge the pull request and push to the mirrors.

This is somewhere on my list of nice-to-have-in-future
improvements to our process. You'd need to have a human
in the loop because there are things we want to review
which the CI does not catch (mostly "does this look
sensible", "is this a request from a new submitter whose
work needs a second lookthrough") but that could be done
with some similar thing to the r=whoever comments some
other projects use. Then you could have "as long as 1
(or 2 during releases) senior maintainer acks the pullreq
it goes in" rules.

But right at the moment that's half a dozen steps in the
future and we need to get the basic CI stuff working
before we start looking at changing the workflow for
submaintainers.

thanks
-- PMM