qemu-devel.nongnu.org archive mirror
* [QUESTION] Clang as QEMU compiler - two questions
@ 2020-02-21 18:08 Aleksandar Markovic
From: Aleksandar Markovic @ 2020-02-21 18:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: QEMU Developers

Hello, all

I have two questions:

1) Is ./configure --cc=clang the correct way to enable clang
compilation of QEMU? Any other gotchas?

2) Did somebody compare QEMU compiled by gcc vs. QEMU compiled with
clang (in any sense: executable size, performance, etc.)?

Thanks in advance,
Aleksandar

* Re: [QUESTION] Clang as QEMU compiler - two questions
@ 2020-02-21 18:28 ` Peter Maydell
From: Peter Maydell @ 2020-02-21 18:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Aleksandar Markovic; +Cc: QEMU Developers

On Fri, 21 Feb 2020 at 18:09, Aleksandar Markovic
<aleksandar.m.mail@gmail.com> wrote:
> 1) Is ./configure --cc=clang the correct way to enable clang
> compilation of QEMU? Any other gotchas?

You'll also want "--cxx=clang++", so the (few) C++ parts of
QEMU get compiled with the same toolchain.

It should just work -- clang is our default compiler for OSX
and is included in the CI and pre-merge tests on Linux.

thanks
-- PMM