qemu-devel.nongnu.org archive mirror
* [Qemu-devel] RISC-V: Vector && DSP Extension
@ 2019-08-08  9:39 liuzhiwei
From: liuzhiwei @ 2019-08-08  9:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: qemu-devel, qemu-riscv; +Cc: palmer, Alistair.Francis, sagark, bastian

Hi all,

    My workmate  and I have been working on Vector & Dsp extension, and
I'd like to share develop status  with folks.

    The spec references for  Vector extension is riscv-v-spec-0.7.1, and
riscv-p-spec-0.5 for DSP extension. The code of vector extension is
ready and under testing,  the first patch will be sent about two weeks
later. After that we will forward working on DSP extension, and send the
first patch in middle  October.

     Could the maintainers  tell me whether the specs referenced are
appropriate? Is anyone working on these extensions?  I'd like to get
your status, and maybe discuss questions and work togather.

Best Regards

LIU Zhiwei

* Re: [Qemu-devel] RISC-V: Vector && DSP Extension
@ 2019-08-08 11:29 ` Aleksandar Markovic
From: Aleksandar Markovic @ 2019-08-08 11:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: liuzhiwei
  Cc: Peter Maydell, qemu-riscv, sagark, bastian, Palmer Dabbelt,
	QEMU Developers, Alistair Francis

On Thu, Aug 8, 2019 at 11:52 AM liuzhiwei <zhiwei_liu@c-sky.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
>     My workmate  and I have been working on Vector & Dsp extension, and
> I'd like to share develop status  with folks.
>
>     The spec references for  Vector extension is riscv-v-spec-0.7.1, and
> riscv-p-spec-0.5 for DSP extension.

Hello, Liu.

I will not answer your questions directly, however I want to bring to you
and others another perspective on this situation.

First, please provide the link to the specifications. Via Google, I found
that "riscv-v-spec-0.7.1" is titled "Working draft of the proposed RISC-V V
vector extension". I could not find "riscv-p-spec-0.5".

I am not sure what the QEMU policy towards "working draft proposal" type of
specification is. Peter, can you perhaps clarify that or any other related
issue?

I would advice some caution in these cases. The major issue is backward
compatibility, but there are other issues too. Let's say, fairness. If we
let emulation of a component based on a "working draft proposal" be
integrated into QEMU, this will set a precedent, and many other developer
would rightfully ask for their contributions based on drafts to be
integrated into QEMU. Our policy should be as equal as possible to all
contribution, large or small, riscv or alpha, cpu or device, tcg or kvm -
in my honest opinion. QEMU upstream should not be a collecting place for
all imaginable experimentations, certain criteria on what is appropriate
for upstreaming exist and must continue to exist.

Yours,
Aleksandar

@ 2019-08-08 13:48   ` Chih-Min Chao
From: Chih-Min Chao @ 2019-08-08 13:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Aleksandar Markovic
  Cc: Peter Maydell, open list:RISC-V, Sagar Karandikar, bastian,
	Palmer Dabbelt, QEMU Developers, Alistair Francis, liuzhiwei

On Thu, Aug 8, 2019 at 7:29 PM Aleksandar Markovic <
aleksandar.m.mail@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 8, 2019 at 11:52 AM liuzhiwei <zhiwei_liu@c-sky.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> >     My workmate  and I have been working on Vector & Dsp extension, and
> > I'd like to share develop status  with folks.
> >
> >     The spec references for  Vector extension is riscv-v-spec-0.7.1, and
> > riscv-p-spec-0.5 for DSP extension.
>

> Hello, Liu.
>
> I will not answer your questions directly, however I want to bring to you
> and others another perspective on this situation.
>
> First, please provide the link to the specifications. Via Google, I found
> that "riscv-v-spec-0.7.1" is titled "Working draft of the proposed RISC-V V
> vector extension". I could not find "riscv-p-spec-0.5".
>
> I am not sure what the QEMU policy towards "working draft proposal" type of
> specification is. Peter, can you perhaps clarify that or any other related
> issue?

Hi Aleksandar,

As for riscv-v-spec 0.7.1, it is first stable spec for target software
development
though the name is working draft.  The architecture skeleton is fix and
most of
work are focusing the issues related to micro-architecture implementation
complexity.
Sifive has released an open source implementation on spike simulation and
Imperas also
provides another implementation with its binary simulator.  I think it is
worth to include the extension
in Qemu at this moment.

As for riscv-p-spec-0.5, I think Andes has fully supported this extension
and should release more
detailed spec in the near future (described Riscv Technical Update
2019/06).
They have implement lots of DSP kernel based on this extension and also
provided impressed
performance result.  It is also worth to be reviewed (at least [RFC]) if
the detailed  spec is public.

ref:
     1.
https://content.riscv.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/06/17.40-Vector_RISCV-20190611-Vectors.pdf
     2.
https://content.riscv.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/06/17.20-P-ext-RVW-Zurich-20190611.pdf
     3.
https://content.riscv.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/06/10.05-TechCommitteeUpdate-June-2019-Copy.pdf

chihmin

@ 2019-08-08 14:19     ` Aleksandar Markovic
From: Aleksandar Markovic @ 2019-08-08 14:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chih-Min Chao
  Cc: Peter Maydell, open list:RISC-V, Sagar Karandikar, bastian,
	Palmer Dabbelt, QEMU Developers, Alistair Francis, liuzhiwei

On Thu, Aug 8, 2019 at 3:48 PM Chih-Min Chao <chihmin.chao@sifive.com>
wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 8, 2019 at 7:29 PM Aleksandar Markovic <
> aleksandar.m.mail@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Aug 8, 2019 at 11:52 AM liuzhiwei <zhiwei_liu@c-sky.com> wrote:
>>
>> > Hi all,
>> >
>> >     My workmate  and I have been working on Vector & Dsp extension, and
>> > I'd like to share develop status  with folks.
>> >
>> >     The spec references for  Vector extension is riscv-v-spec-0.7.1, and
>> > riscv-p-spec-0.5 for DSP extension.
>>

>> Hello, Liu.
>>
>> I will not answer your questions directly, however I want to bring to you
>> and others another perspective on this situation.
>>
>> First, please provide the link to the specifications. Via Google, I found
>> that "riscv-v-spec-0.7.1" is titled "Working draft of the proposed RISC-V
>> vector extension". I could not find "riscv-p-spec-0.5".
>>
>> I am not sure what the QEMU policy towards "working draft proposal" type
>> of
>> specification is. Peter, can you perhaps clarify that or any other related
>> issue?
>>

> Hi Aleksandar,
>
> As for riscv-v-spec 0.7.1, it is first stable spec for target software
> development
> though the name is working draft.

Hello, Chih-Min.

Too many unclear points here.

What does this sentence mean? What is "stable"? Is that the same as
"final"? If the document is stable, why the title "draft/proposal"? Can a
"draft" be stable? Can you, or anybody else, guarantee that the final
version of this document will not affect QEMU implementation, if it is done
by the current document? If not, why would you like QEMU upstream to
support something not fully specified? Why has the final document not been
released, if the situation is stable?.....

Yours,
Aleksandar

@ 2019-08-10  1:54 ` Alistair Francis
From: Alistair Francis @ 2019-08-10  1:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: liuzhiwei
  Cc: open list:RISC-V, Sagar Karandikar, bastian, Palmer Dabbelt,
	qemu-devel@nongnu.org Developers, Alistair Francis

On Thu, Aug 8, 2019 at 2:52 AM liuzhiwei <zhiwei_liu@c-sky.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
>     My workmate  and I have been working on Vector & Dsp extension, and
> I'd like to share develop status  with folks.

Cool!

>     The spec references for  Vector extension is riscv-v-spec-0.7.1, and
> riscv-p-spec-0.5 for DSP extension. The code of vector extension is
> ready and under testing,  the first patch will be sent about two weeks
> later. After that we will forward working on DSP extension, and send the
> first patch in middle  October.

What code are you talking about? Is this QEMU code?

>      Could the maintainers  tell me whether the specs referenced are
> appropriate? Is anyone working on these extensions?  I'd like to get
> your status, and maybe discuss questions and work togather.

Just use the latest (master) from the ISA spec git repo.

I don't know anyone doing vector work for QEMU. It would be very
useful, but everyone is busy with something at the moment
unfortunately.

Alistair

@ 2019-08-10 13:35     ` LIU ZhiWei
From: LIU ZhiWei @ 2019-08-10 13:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chih-Min Chao
  Cc: Peter Maydell, open list:RISC-V, Sagar Karandikar,
	Palmer Dabbelt, QEMU Developers, Alistair Francis,
	Aleksandar Markovic

On 8/8/19 6:48 AM, Chih-Min Chao wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 8, 2019 at 7:29 PM Aleksandar Markovic
> <aleksandar.m.mail@gmail.com <mailto:aleksandar.m.mail@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     On Thu, Aug 8, 2019 at 11:52 AM liuzhiwei <zhiwei_liu@c-sky.com
>     <mailto:zhiwei_liu@c-sky.com>> wrote:
>
>     > Hi all,
>     >
>     >     My workmate  and I have been working on Vector & Dsp
>     extension, and
>     > I'd like to share develop status  with folks.
>     >
>     >     The spec references for  Vector extension is
>     riscv-v-spec-0.7.1, and
>     > riscv-p-spec-0.5 for DSP extension.
>

>     Hello, Liu.
>
>     I will not answer your questions directly, however I want to bring
>     to you
>     and others another perspective on this situation.
>
>     First, please provide the link to the specifications. Via Google,
>     I found
>     that "riscv-v-spec-0.7.1" is titled "Working draft of the proposed
>     RISC-V V
>     vector extension". I could not find "riscv-p-spec-0.5".
>
>     I am not sure what the QEMU policy towards "working draft
>     proposal" type of
>     specification is. Peter, can you perhaps clarify that or any other
>     related
>     issue?
>

> Hi Aleksandar,
>
> As for riscv-v-spec 0.7.1, it is first stable spec for target software
> development
> though the name is working draft.  The architecture skeleton is fix
> and most of
> work are focusing the issues related to micro-architecture
> implementation complexity.
> Sifive has released an open source implementation on spike simulation
> and Imperas also
> provides another implementation with its binary simulator.  I think it
> is worth to include the extension
> in Qemu at this moment.
>
> As for riscv-p-spec-0.5, I think Andes has fully supported this
> extension and should release more
> detailed spec in the near future (described Riscv Technical Update
> 2019/06).
> They have implement lots of DSP kernel based on this extension and
> also provided impressed
> performance result.  It is also worth to be reviewed (at least [RFC])
> if the detailed  spec is public.
>

> ref:
>      1.
> https://content.riscv.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/06/17.40-Vector_RISCV-20190611-Vectors.pdf
>      2.
> https://content.riscv.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/06/17.20-P-ext-RVW-Zurich-20190611.pdf
>      3.
> https://content.riscv.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/06/10.05-TechCommitteeUpdate-June-2019-Copy.pdf
>

> chihmin

Hi chihmin,

Thank you for the detailed and informative response. You have a very
good understanding of the specifications.

I will modify the code according to the latest spec(currently
riscv-v-spec 0.7.2) from the ISA spec git repo as Alistair advised.

Yours,

Zhiwei

@ 2019-08-10 13:55   ` LIU ZhiWei
From: LIU ZhiWei @ 2019-08-10 13:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alistair Francis
  Cc: open list:RISC-V, Sagar Karandikar, bastian, Palmer Dabbelt,

On 8/9/19 6:54 PM, Alistair Francis wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 8, 2019 at 2:52 AM liuzhiwei <zhiwei_liu@c-sky.com> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>>      My workmate  and I have been working on Vector & Dsp extension, and
>> I'd like to share develop status  with folks.
> Cool!
>
>>      The spec references for  Vector extension is riscv-v-spec-0.7.1, and
>> riscv-p-spec-0.5 for DSP extension. The code of vector extension is
>> ready and under testing,  the first patch will be sent about two weeks
>> later. After that we will forward working on DSP extension, and send the
>> first patch in middle  October.
> What code are you talking about? Is this QEMU code?

Hi Alistair,

It's the QEMU code I have been working on these days, which implements Vector extension. It is under testing,
and will be sent later.

>>       Could the maintainers  tell me whether the specs referenced are
>> appropriate? Is anyone working on these extensions?  I'd like to get
>> your status, and maybe discuss questions and work togather.
> Just use the latest (master) from the ISA spec git repo.

I will follow your advice.Thanks for your attention to this matter.

Best Regards,

Zhiwei

@ 2019-08-11 16:50     ` Alistair Francis
From: Alistair Francis @ 2019-08-11 16:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: LIU ZhiWei
  Cc: open list:RISC-V, Sagar Karandikar, bastian, Palmer Dabbelt,

On Sat, Aug 10, 2019 at 6:55 AM LIU ZhiWei <zhiwei_liu@c-sky.com> wrote:

> On 8/9/19 6:54 PM, Alistair Francis wrote:
>
> On Thu, Aug 8, 2019 at 2:52 AM liuzhiwei <zhiwei_liu@c-sky.com> wrote:
>
> Hi all,
>
>     My workmate  and I have been working on Vector & Dsp extension, and
> I'd like to share develop status  with folks.
>
> Cool!
>
>     The spec references for  Vector extension is riscv-v-spec-0.7.1, and
> riscv-p-spec-0.5 for DSP extension. The code of vector extension is
> ready and under testing,  the first patch will be sent about two weeks
> later. After that we will forward working on DSP extension, and send the
> first patch in middle  October.
>
> What code are you talking about? Is this QEMU code?
>
> Hi Alistair,
>
> It's the QEMU code I have been working on these days, which implements Vector extension. It is under testing,
> and will be sent later.

Great! Please send it when you have it ready. We can accept draft
extensions in QEMU as long as they are disabled by default.

Alistair

@ 2019-08-15  8:53       ` Aleksandar Markovic
From: Aleksandar Markovic @ 2019-08-15  8:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alistair Francis
  Cc: open list:RISC-V, Sagar Karandikar, bastian, Palmer Dabbelt,
	qemu-devel@nongnu.org Developers, Alistair Francis, LIU ZhiWei

> We can accept draft
> extensions in QEMU as long as they are disabled by default.
>
> Alistair

Hi, Alistair, Palmer,

Is this an official stance of QEMU community, or perhaps Alistair's
personal judgement, or maybe a rule within risv subcomunity?

Yours,
Aleksandar

* Re: [Qemu-devel] RISC-V: Vector && DSP Extension
@ 2019-08-15  9:07         ` Peter Maydell
From: Peter Maydell @ 2019-08-15  9:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Aleksandar Markovic
  Cc: open list:RISC-V, Sagar Karandikar, bastian, Palmer Dabbelt,
	qemu-devel@nongnu.org Developers, Alistair Francis,
	Alistair Francis, LIU ZhiWei

On Thu, 15 Aug 2019 at 09:53, Aleksandar Markovic
<aleksandar.m.mail@gmail.com> wrote:

> > We can accept draft
> > extensions in QEMU as long as they are disabled by default.

> Hi, Alistair, Palmer,
>
> Is this an official stance of QEMU community, or perhaps Alistair's
> personal judgement, or maybe a rule within risv subcomunity?

Alistair asked on a previous thread; my view was:
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/qemu-devel/2019-07/msg03364.html
and nobody else spoke up disagreeing (summary: should at least be
disabled-by-default and only enabled by setting an explicit
property whose name should start with the 'x-' prefix).

In general QEMU does sometimes introduce experimental extensions
(we've had them in the block layer, for example) and so the 'x-'
property to enable them is a reasonably established convention.
I think it's a reasonable compromise to allow this sort of work
to start and not have to live out-of-tree for a long time, without
confusing users or getting into a situation where some QEMU
versions behave differently or to obsolete drafts of a spec
without it being clear from the command line that experimental
extensions are being enabled.

There is also an element of "submaintainer judgement" to be applied
here -- upstream is probably not the place for a draft extension
to be implemented if it is:
 * still fast moving or subject to major changes of design direction
 * major changes to the codebase (especially if it requires
   changes to core code) that might later need to be redone
   entirely differently
 * still experimental

thanks
-- PMM

* Re: [Qemu-devel] RISC-V: Vector && DSP Extension
@ 2019-08-15 10:32           ` Aleksandar Markovic
From: Aleksandar Markovic @ 2019-08-15 10:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Maydell
  Cc: open list:RISC-V, Sagar Karandikar, bastian, Palmer Dabbelt,

15.08.2019. 11.07, "Peter Maydell" <peter.maydell@linaro.org> је написао/ла:

> On Thu, 15 Aug 2019 at 09:53, Aleksandar Markovic
> <aleksandar.m.mail@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > We can accept draft
> > > extensions in QEMU as long as they are disabled by default.
>
> > Hi, Alistair, Palmer,
> >
> > Is this an official stance of QEMU community, or perhaps Alistair's
> > personal judgement, or maybe a rule within risv subcomunity?
>
> Alistair asked on a previous thread; my view was:
> https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/qemu-devel/2019-07/msg03364.html
> and nobody else spoke up disagreeing (summary: should at least be
> disabled-by-default and only enabled by setting an explicit
> property whose name should start with the 'x-' prefix).
>
> In general QEMU does sometimes introduce experimental extensions
> (we've had them in the block layer, for example) and so the 'x-'
> property to enable them is a reasonably established convention.
> I think it's a reasonable compromise to allow this sort of work
> to start and not have to live out-of-tree for a long time, without
> confusing users or getting into a situation where some QEMU
> versions behave differently or to obsolete drafts of a spec
> without it being clear from the command line that experimental
> extensions are being enabled.
>
> There is also an element of "submaintainer judgement" to be applied
> here -- upstream is probably not the place for a draft extension
> to be implemented if it is:
>  * still fast moving or subject to major changes of design direction
>  * major changes to the codebase (especially if it requires
>    changes to core code) that might later need to be redone
>    entirely differently
>  * still experimental

OK.

Thanks for detailed response.

Aleksandar

@ 2019-08-15 21:37           ` Alistair Francis
From: Alistair Francis @ 2019-08-15 21:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Maydell
  Cc: open list:RISC-V, Sagar Karandikar, bastian, Palmer Dabbelt,

On Thu, Aug 15, 2019 at 2:07 AM Peter Maydell <peter.maydell@linaro.org> wrote:

> On Thu, 15 Aug 2019 at 09:53, Aleksandar Markovic
> <aleksandar.m.mail@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > We can accept draft
> > > extensions in QEMU as long as they are disabled by default.
>
> > Hi, Alistair, Palmer,
> >
> > Is this an official stance of QEMU community, or perhaps Alistair's
> > personal judgement, or maybe a rule within risv subcomunity?
>
> Alistair asked on a previous thread; my view was:
> https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/qemu-devel/2019-07/msg03364.html
> and nobody else spoke up disagreeing (summary: should at least be
> disabled-by-default and only enabled by setting an explicit
> property whose name should start with the 'x-' prefix).

Agreed!

> In general QEMU does sometimes introduce experimental extensions
> (we've had them in the block layer, for example) and so the 'x-'
> property to enable them is a reasonably established convention.
> I think it's a reasonable compromise to allow this sort of work
> to start and not have to live out-of-tree for a long time, without
> confusing users or getting into a situation where some QEMU
> versions behave differently or to obsolete drafts of a spec
> without it being clear from the command line that experimental
> extensions are being enabled.
>
> There is also an element of "submaintainer judgement" to be applied
> here -- upstream is probably not the place for a draft extension
> to be implemented if it is:
>  * still fast moving or subject to major changes of design direction
>  * major changes to the codebase (especially if it requires
>    changes to core code) that might later need to be redone
>    entirely differently
>  * still experimental

Yep, agreed. For RISC-V I think this would extend to only allowing
extensions that have backing from the foundation and are under active
discussion.

Alistair

@ 2019-08-21 19:31             ` Palmer Dabbelt
From: Palmer Dabbelt @ 2019-08-21 19:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: alistair23
  Cc: Peter Maydell, qemu-riscv, sagark, bastian, qemu-devel,
	Alistair Francis, zhiwei_liu, aleksandar.m.mail

On Thu, 15 Aug 2019 14:37:52 PDT (-0700), alistair23@gmail.com wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 15, 2019 at 2:07 AM Peter Maydell <peter.maydell@linaro.org> wrote:

>> > Hi, Alistair, Palmer,
>> >
>> > Is this an official stance of QEMU community, or perhaps Alistair's
>> > personal judgement, or maybe a rule within risv subcomunity?
>>
>> Alistair asked on a previous thread; my view was:
>> https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/qemu-devel/2019-07/msg03364.html
>> and nobody else spoke up disagreeing (summary: should at least be
>> disabled-by-default and only enabled by setting an explicit
>> property whose name should start with the 'x-' prefix).
>
> Agreed!
>

>> In general QEMU does sometimes introduce experimental extensions
>> (we've had them in the block layer, for example) and so the 'x-'
>> property to enable them is a reasonably established convention.
>> I think it's a reasonable compromise to allow this sort of work
>> to start and not have to live out-of-tree for a long time, without
>> confusing users or getting into a situation where some QEMU
>> versions behave differently or to obsolete drafts of a spec
>> without it being clear from the command line that experimental
>> extensions are being enabled.
>>
>> There is also an element of "submaintainer judgement" to be applied
>> here -- upstream is probably not the place for a draft extension
>> to be implemented if it is:
>>  * still fast moving or subject to major changes of design direction
>>  * major changes to the codebase (especially if it requires
>>    changes to core code) that might later need to be redone
>>    entirely differently
>>  * still experimental
>
> Yep, agreed. For RISC-V I think this would extend to only allowing
> extensions that have backing from the foundation and are under active
> discussion.

My general philosophy here is that we'll take anything written down in an
official RISC-V ISA manual (ie, the ones actually released by the foundation).
This provides a single source of truth for what an extension name / version
means, which is important to avoid confusion.  If it's a ratified extension
then I see no reason not to support it on my end.  For frozen extensions we
should probably just wait the 45 days until they go up for a ratification vote,
but I'd be happy to start reviewing patches then (or earlier :)).

If the spec is a draft in the ISA manual then we need to worry about the
support burden, which I don't have a fixed criteria for -- generally there
shouldn't be issues here, but early drafts can be in a state where they're
going to change extensively and are unlikely to be used by anyone.  There's
also the question of "what is an official release of a draft specification?".

That's a bit awkward right now: the current ratified ISA manual contains
version 0.3 of the hypervisor extension, but I just talked to Andrew and the
plan is to remove the draft extensions from the ratified manuals because these
drafts are old and the official manuals update slowly.  For now I guess we'll
need an an-hoc way of determining if a draft extension has been officially
versioned or not, which is a bit of a headache.

We already have examples of supporting draft extensions, including priv-1.9.1.
This does cause some pain for us on the QEMU side (CSR bits have different
semantics between the specs), but there's 1.9.1 hardware out there and the port
continues to be useful so I'd be in favor of keeping it around for now.  I
suppose there is an implicit risk that draft extensions will be deprecated, but
the "x-" prefix, draft status, and long deprecation period should be sufficient
to inform users of the risk.  I wouldn't be opposed to adding a "this is a
draft ISA" warning, but I feel like it might be a bit overkill.

> Alistair
>

>> thanks
>> -- PMM

* Re: [Qemu-devel] [Qemu-riscv]  RISC-V: Vector && DSP Extension
@ 2019-08-21 23:10               ` Jonathan Behrens
From: Jonathan Behrens @ 2019-08-21 23:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Palmer Dabbelt
  Cc: Peter Maydell, open list:RISC-V, Sagar Karandikar, bastian,
	qemu-devel@nongnu.org Developers, Alistair Francis,
	Alistair Francis, zhiwei_liu, aleksandar.m.mail

Is there a reason to guarantee support of a particular draft extension
version once it has been superseded by a subsequent version? I understand
why it was done for priv-1.9.1, but going forward I'm skeptical there will
be much/any code out in the wild that depends on old draft versions of
extensions. The main reason people seem interested in implementing
extensions in QEMU is to test them before going through the trouble of
manufacturing hardware, and I don't really see why anyone would want to
test a design that is no longer under consideration.

Jonathan

@ 2019-08-22  1:50               ` liuzhiwei
From: liuzhiwei @ 2019-08-22  1:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Palmer Dabbelt, alistair23, Jonathan Behrens
  Cc: Peter Maydell, qemu-riscv, sagark, bastian, qemu-devel,
	Alistair Francis, aleksandar.m.mail

On 2019/8/22 上午3:31, Palmer Dabbelt wrote:
> [...]
> ratified manuals because these drafts are old and the official manuals
> update slowly.  For now I guess we'll need an an-hoc way of
> determining if a draft extension has been officially versioned or not,
> which is a bit of a headache.
>
> We already have examples of supporting draft extensions, including
> priv-1.9.1.  This does cause some pain for us on the QEMU side (CSR
> bits have different semantics between the specs), but there's 1.9.1
> hardware out there and the port continues to be useful so I'd be in
> favor of keeping it around for now.  I suppose there is an implicit
> risk that draft extensions will be deprecated, but the "x-" prefix,
> draft status, and long deprecation period should be sufficient to
> inform users of the risk.  I wouldn't be opposed to adding a "this is
> a draft ISA" warning, but I feel like it might be a bit overkill.

Hi, Palmer

Maybe it is the headache of open source hardware. Everyone cooperates to
build a better architecture.

In my opinion, we should focus on the future. The code in QEMU mainline
should evolve to the  ratified extension step by step, and only support
the best extension at last.

At that time,  even many hardwares just support  the deprecated draft
extension,  the draft codes should be in the wild and maintained by the
hardware manufactures.

But before that,  it is better to  have a draft implementation. So that
We can work step by step to accelerate the coming of the ratified
extension.

Even at last draft extension implementation are deprecated, they are not
meaningless. The manufactures may use  the  history commit to support
their hardwares that

only support drafted extension.

Best Regards,

Zhiwei

@ 2019-08-22 22:37                 ` Alistair Francis
From: Alistair Francis @ 2019-08-22 22:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: liuzhiwei
  Cc: Peter Maydell, open list:RISC-V, Sagar Karandikar, bastian,
	Palmer Dabbelt, Jonathan Behrens,

On Wed, Aug 21, 2019 at 6:56 PM liuzhiwei <zhiwei_liu@c-sky.com> wrote:

> [...]
> >
> Hi, Palmer
>
> Maybe it is the headache of open source hardware. Everyone cooperates to
> build a better architecture.
>
> In my opinion, we should focus on the future. The code in QEMU mainline
> should evolve to the  ratified extension step by step, and only support
> the best extension at last.
>
> At that time,  even many hardwares just support  the deprecated draft
> extension,  the draft codes should be in the wild and maintained by the
> hardware manufactures.
>
> But before that,  it is better to  have a draft implementation. So that
> We can work step by step to accelerate the coming of the ratified
> extension.
>
> Even at last draft extension implementation are deprecated, they are not
> meaningless. The manufactures may use  the  history commit to support

Overall I agree with Palmer that we should accept all extensions in
the RISC-V foundations ISA manual once the extension has reached some
level of maturity.

I think it then makes sense to only keep the latest version of these
drafts until they are ratified. At that point we do have to support
the ratified version for longer.

Alistair

@ 2019-08-28  0:25                   ` Palmer Dabbelt
From: Palmer Dabbelt @ 2019-08-28  0:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: alistair23
  Cc: Peter Maydell, qemu-riscv, sagark, bastian, fintelia, qemu-devel,

On Thu, 22 Aug 2019 15:37:15 PDT (-0700), alistair23@gmail.com wrote:
> [...]
>> extension,  the draft codes should be in the wild and maintained by the
>> hardware manufactures.
>>
>> But before that,  it is better to  have a draft implementation. So that
>> We can work step by step to accelerate the coming of the ratified
>> extension.
>>
>> Even at last draft extension implementation are deprecated, they are not
>> meaningless. The manufactures may use  the  history commit to support
>> their hardwares that
>>
>> only support drafted extension.
>
> Overall I agree with Palmer that we should accept all extensions in
> the RISC-V foundations ISA manual once the extension has reached some
> level of maturity.
>
> I think it then makes sense to only keep the latest version of these
> drafts until they are ratified. At that point we do have to support

My number one constraint here is that QEMU remains a useful tool.  I'd love to
support every version of every extension ever published (along with allowing
for control of all the optional features), but there are just more important
things to do so that's not going to happen.  That said, I also want to make
sure that there is some stability in QEMU -- specifically because having a
RISC-V implementation that supports multiple targets is very useful.  I started
hacking on QEMU because I wanted to test my other software and it's just too
cumbersome to keep around a pile of RISC-V implementations to test everything
against.

In terms of which drafts we keep, I think it's best to just play this by ear --
for example, I'd be in favor of keeping draft extensions around if they end up
widely implemented, and doubly so if they're similar to the ratified extension.
The CLIC would be a good candidate for this: it's in all sorts of hardware, but
the actual ratified spec may be a bit different than the drafts.  In that case
I'd be in favor of keeping around the draft specs for a long time, as they're
probably going to be pretty easy to support.