qemu-devel.nongnu.org archive mirror
* Re: Sam460Ex screen mode, audio and network
       [not found] <CAD+yzTSr2edTNmzkGOH7todx7uVPbL_BSNSJPb62mJWCUSa8NA@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2020-06-02  7:36 ` Philippe Mathieu-Daudé
From: Philippe Mathieu-Daudé @ 2020-06-02  7:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrea Palmatè, qemu-discuss, qemu-devel, BALATON Zoltan, qemu-ppc

Cc'ing the sam460ex maintainer.

@ 2020-06-02 13:24   ` BALATON Zoltan
From: BALATON Zoltan @ 2020-06-02 13:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Philippe Mathieu-Daudé
  Cc: qemu-ppc, Andrea Palmatè, qemu-devel, qemu-discuss

Hello,

On Tue, 2 Jun 2020, Philippe Mathieu-Daudé wrote:
> Cc'ing the sam460ex maintainer.
> On 6/1/20 8:01 PM, Andrea Palmatè wrote:
>> Hello, i've successfully configured AmigaOS4 on Qemu 5 and i've
>> installed it without any problem.

I assume you're aware of this page where you may find info and answers to
some of your questions (see also the Comments section for tips):

http://zero.eik.bme.hu/~balaton/qemu/amiga/

>> It is working on an i5 laptop. I've tried to use the native screen mode
>> 1366x768 but it has some problems. It seems a stride problem and so is
>> not usable

I'm not sure if it's a problem on AmigaOS side or in emulation. How to
reproduce this? Such resolution does not show up for me in ScreenMode
prefs so cannot be simply selected.

>> Also the audio over sm502 is not working. (is it implemented?)

No, the sound part of sm502 is not yet implemented but you can add a PCI
soundcard that works with AmigaOS with -device ES1370 command line option
although sound may not be perfect and I don't know what causes that.

>> And also. OS4 has a support for RTL8139 but it seems not supported by
>> sam460ex. Is there a way to (try to) add it via source code in any way?

Similarly you can add the card with -device rtl8139 then also see the docs
about different network options in QEMU:

https://wiki.qemu.org/Documentation/Networking

In particular, with the default user/slirp network the guest has outbound
access but cannot be contacted and ping does not work so if you need those
some other network option such as tap may be needed. Otherwise just for
simple internet access from guest the default should be enough and
simplest to set up.

Regards,
BALATON Zoltan

* Re: Sam460Ex screen mode, audio and network
@ 2020-06-02 14:58     ` BALATON Zoltan
From: BALATON Zoltan @ 2020-06-02 14:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrea Palmatè
  Cc: Philippe Mathieu-Daudé, qemu-ppc, qemu-devel, qemu-discuss

On Tue, 2 Jun 2020, BALATON Zoltan wrote:
> On Tue, 2 Jun 2020, Philippe Mathieu-Daudé wrote:
>> Cc'ing the sam460ex maintainer.
>> On 6/1/20 8:01 PM, Andrea Palmatè wrote:
>>> It is working on an i5 laptop. I've tried to use the native screen mode
>>> 1366x768 but it has some problems. It seems a stride problem and so is
>>> not usable
>
> I'm not sure if it's a problem on AmigaOS side or in emulation. How to
> reproduce this? Such resolution does not show up for me in ScreenMode prefs
> so cannot be simply selected.

OK I've got it. I think you've unticked default and set a custom width.
This seems to set the width of frame buffer in memory but the mode the
card is programmed to use is still the one selected from the list so this
won't work. It seems to be either a bug in AmigaOS or the width option
does not do what you may think. Maybe ask AmigaOS developers or aCube who
wrote the driver about this. (Another known issue is that 24/32 bit modes
are not available with the AmigaOS SM502 driver which would be needed for
optimal performance with QEMU, the 16 bit mode it offers is much slower
because it has to be converted on every display update.)

Regards,
BALATON Zoltan

* Re: Sam460Ex screen mode, audio and network
@ 2020-06-02 16:43       ` Andrea Palmatè
From: Andrea Palmatè @ 2020-06-02 16:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: BALATON Zoltan
  Cc: Philippe Mathieu-Daudé, qemu-ppc, qemu-devel, qemu-discuss

Hi Zoltan,
I've forwarded the message to Massimiliano Tretene. I'm waiting for his
answer.
In the meanwhile i've tried to add -device ES1370 but i get no audio at
all. I've also a lot of shared "memfd open() failed: Function not
implemented" errors on console
Regard the video mode. I'm pretty sure that resolutions like 1366x768
should work but not unticking the "default" checkbox. They needs to be
created by Screenmode program. The strange thing is that during
installation i've created successfully the resolution (that however had
that problem). Now with the OS even if the resolution is created i have
1024x768 twice.
I've also a problem that host mouse pointer is shown. I've read that i need
to add a "tabled" device in the xml file. But where i have to create that
file? Keep in mind that i'm using Ubuntu on Windows 10 via WSL and not an
ubuntu machine

Andrea

--
Saluti,
Andrea Palmatè

* Re: Sam460Ex screen mode, audio and network
@ 2020-06-02 16:59         ` Andrea Palmatè
From: Andrea Palmatè @ 2020-06-02 16:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: BALATON Zoltan
  Cc: Philippe Mathieu-Daudé, qemu-ppc, qemu-devel, qemu-discuss

Regard the resolution. I've seen if i call the video mode SM502 instead of
SiliconMotion 502 it doesn't show the 1366x762 resolution.. that's weird..
However this is the problem i have

[image: image.png]

--
Saluti,
Andrea Palmatè

[-- Attachment #2: image.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 177025 bytes --]

* Re: Sam460Ex screen mode, audio and network
@ 2020-06-02 17:35           ` BALATON Zoltan
From: BALATON Zoltan @ 2020-06-02 17:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrea Palmatè
  Cc: Philippe Mathieu-Daudé, qemu-ppc, qemu-devel, qemu-discuss