qemu-devel.nongnu.org archive mirror
* [Qemu-devel] [ANNOUNCE] virtio-fs v0.3 release
@ 2019-08-19 16:04 Stefan Hajnoczi
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Stefan Hajnoczi @ 2019-08-19 16:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: virtio-fs; +Cc: qemu-devel, kata-dev

I am delighted to announce the release of virtio-fs v0.3, a shared file
system that lets virtual machines access a directory tree on the host.
This release is based on QEMU 4.1.0 and Linux 5.3-rc3.

For more information about virtio-fs: https://virtio-fs.gitlab.io/

This is a development release aimed at early adopters of virtio-fs.  Work is
being done to upstream the code into Linux and QEMU.  We expect to stop
publishing virtio-fs releases once the code has been merged by these upstream
projects.

Where to get it:

  https://gitlab.com/virtio-fs/linux/-/tags/virtio-fs-v0.3
  https://gitlab.com/virtio-fs/qemu/-/tags/virtio-fs-v0.3

Changes:

 * Please note that the mount syntax has changed to:

     # mount -t virtio_fs myfs /mnt -o ...

   The old syntax was "mount -t virtio_fs none /mnt -o tag=myfs,...".

 * virtiofsd --fd=FDNUM takes a listen socket file descriptor number.  File
   descriptor passing is an alternative way to manage the vhost-user UNIX
   domain socket.  The parent process no longer needs to wait for virtiofsd to
   create the listen socket before spawning the VM.

 * virtiofsd --syslog logs to syslog(2) instead of stderr.  Useful for unifying
   logging and when the virtiofsd process is not being supervised.

 * virtiofsd --thread-pool-size=NUM sets the maximum number of worker threads
   for FUSE request processing.  This can be used to control the host queue
   depth.  The default is 64.

 * Performance improvements and bug fixes.

Note for Kata Containers: the new kernel is not compatible with existing
Kata Containers releases due to the mount syntax change.  To try it out,
please apply the following kata-runtime patch:

  https://gitlab.com/virtio-fs/runtime/commit/a2e44de817e438c02a495cf258039774527e3178

Kata Containers patches for virtio-fs v0.3 are under development and will be
submitted to Kata soon.

Thanks to the following people for contributing code and to many more
for helping the virtio-fs effort:

Dr. David Alan Gilbert <dgilbert@redhat.com>
Eric Ren <renzhen@linux.alibaba.com>
Eryu Guan <eguan@linux.alibaba.com>
Ganesh Maharaj Mahalingam <ganesh.mahalingam@intel.com>
Jiufei Xue <jiufei.xue@linux.alibaba.com>
Liu Bo <bo.liu@linux.alibaba.com>
Masayoshi Mizuma <m.mizuma@jp.fujitsu.com>
Miklos Szeredi <mszeredi@redhat.com>
Peng Tao <tao.peng@linux.alibaba.com>
piaojun <piaojun@huawei.com>
Sebastien Boeuf <sebastien.boeuf@intel.com>
Stefan Hajnoczi <stefanha@redhat.com>
Vivek Goyal <vgoyal@redhat.com>
Xiaoguang Wang <xiaoguang.wang@linux.alibaba.com>

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: [Qemu-devel] [kata-dev] [ANNOUNCE] virtio-fs v0.3 release
@ 2019-08-19 16:20 ` Boeuf, Sebastien
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Boeuf, Sebastien @ 2019-08-19 16:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: stefanha, virtio-fs; +Cc: qemu-devel, kata-dev

That's great news :)

Sebastien

On Mon, 2019-08-19 at 17:04 +0100, Stefan Hajnoczi wrote:
> [...]
>
>  * virtiofsd --thread-pool-size=NUM sets the maximum number of worker
> threads
>    for FUSE request processing.  This can be used to control the host
> queue
>    depth.  The default is 64.
>
>  * Performance improvements and bug fixes.
>
> Note for Kata Containers: the new kernel is not compatible with
> existing
> Kata Containers releases due to the mount syntax change.  To try it
> out,
> please apply the following kata-runtime patch:
>

> https://gitlab.com/virtio-fs/runtime/commit/a2e44de817e438c02a495cf258039774527e3178
>
> Kata Containers patches for virtio-fs v0.3 are under development and
> will be
> submitted to Kata soon.
>
> Thanks to the following people for contributing code and to many more

* Re: [Qemu-devel] [Virtio-fs] [ANNOUNCE] virtio-fs v0.3 release
@ 2019-08-20  0:25 ` piaojun
From: piaojun @ 2019-08-20  0:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Hajnoczi, virtio-fs; +Cc: qemu-devel, kata-dev

A big step for virtio-fs!

Jun

@ 2019-08-20  2:24 ` Xu Wang
From: Xu Wang @ 2019-08-20  2:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Hajnoczi; +Cc: virtio-fs, qemu-devel, kata-dev

Thanks all the contributors, looking forward to having a product virtio-fs deployment shortly.

                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2019-08-20  3:00 ` Peng Tao
From: Peng Tao @ 2019-08-20  3:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Hajnoczi, virtio-fs; +Cc: qemu-devel, kata-dev

On 2019/8/20 00:04, Stefan Hajnoczi wrote:
> I am delighted to announce the release of virtio-fs v0.3, a shared file
> system that lets virtual machines access a directory tree on the host.
> This release is based on QEMU 4.1.0 and Linux 5.3-rc3.

Good news! As virtio-fs is maturing and stabilizing, what's the plan for
upstreaming both qemu and kernel part of it?

Cheers,
Tao

> For more information about virtio-fs: https://virtio-fs.gitlab.io/
>
> This is a development release aimed at early adopters of virtio-fs.  Work is
> being done to upstream the code into Linux and QEMU.  We expect to stop
> publishing virtio-fs releases once the code has been merged by these upstream
> projects.
>
> Where to get it:
>
>    https://gitlab.com/virtio-fs/linux/-/tags/virtio-fs-v0.3
>    https://gitlab.com/virtio-fs/qemu/-/tags/virtio-fs-v0.3
>
> Changes:
>
>   * Please note that the mount syntax has changed to:
>
>       # mount -t virtio_fs myfs /mnt -o ...
>
>     The old syntax was "mount -t virtio_fs none /mnt -o tag=myfs,...".
>
>   * virtiofsd --fd=FDNUM takes a listen socket file descriptor number.  File
>     descriptor passing is an alternative way to manage the vhost-user UNIX
>     domain socket.  The parent process no longer needs to wait for virtiofsd to
>     create the listen socket before spawning the VM.
>
>   * virtiofsd --syslog logs to syslog(2) instead of stderr.  Useful for unifying
>     logging and when the virtiofsd process is not being supervised.
>
>   * virtiofsd --thread-pool-size=NUM sets the maximum number of worker threads
>     for FUSE request processing.  This can be used to control the host queue
>     depth.  The default is 64.
>
>   * Performance improvements and bug fixes.
>
> Note for Kata Containers: the new kernel is not compatible with existing
> Kata Containers releases due to the mount syntax change.  To try it out,
> please apply the following kata-runtime patch:
>
>    https://gitlab.com/virtio-fs/runtime/commit/a2e44de817e438c02a495cf258039774527e3178
>
> Kata Containers patches for virtio-fs v0.3 are under development and will be
> submitted to Kata soon.
>
> Thanks to the following people for contributing code and to many more
> for helping the virtio-fs effort:
>
> Dr. David Alan Gilbert <dgilbert@redhat.com>
> Eric Ren <renzhen@linux.alibaba.com>
> Eryu Guan <eguan@linux.alibaba.com>
> Ganesh Maharaj Mahalingam <ganesh.mahalingam@intel.com>
> Jiufei Xue <jiufei.xue@linux.alibaba.com>
> Liu Bo <bo.liu@linux.alibaba.com>
> Masayoshi Mizuma <m.mizuma@jp.fujitsu.com>
> Miklos Szeredi <mszeredi@redhat.com>
> Peng Tao <tao.peng@linux.alibaba.com>
> piaojun <piaojun@huawei.com>
> Sebastien Boeuf <sebastien.boeuf@intel.com>
> Stefan Hajnoczi <stefanha@redhat.com>
> Vivek Goyal <vgoyal@redhat.com>
> Xiaoguang Wang <xiaoguang.wang@linux.alibaba.com>

Into something rich and strange.

* Re: [Qemu-devel] [kata-dev] [ANNOUNCE] virtio-fs v0.3 release
@ 2019-08-20  8:09   ` Dr. David Alan Gilbert
From: Dr. David Alan Gilbert @ 2019-08-20  8:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peng Tao; +Cc: virtio-fs, qemu-devel, Stefan Hajnoczi, kata-dev

* Peng Tao (tao.peng@linux.alibaba.com) wrote:

> On 2019/8/20 00:04, Stefan Hajnoczi wrote:
> > I am delighted to announce the release of virtio-fs v0.3, a shared file
> > system that lets virtual machines access a directory tree on the host.
> > This release is based on QEMU 4.1.0 and Linux 5.3-rc3.
> >
> Good news! As virtio-fs is maturing and stabilizing, what's the plan for
> upstreaming both qemu and kernel part of it?

We're working on that.
A few days ago I sent the core qemu code to qemu-devel marked as
experiemental;  Vivek is planning on sending another kernel version out.

Dave

@ 2019-08-20 14:07     ` Peng Tao
From: Peng Tao @ 2019-08-20 14:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dr. David Alan Gilbert; +Cc: virtio-fs, qemu-devel, Stefan Hajnoczi, kata-dev

On 2019/8/20 16:09, Dr. David Alan Gilbert wrote:
> * Peng Tao (tao.peng@linux.alibaba.com) wrote:
>>

>> On 2019/8/20 00:04, Stefan Hajnoczi wrote:
>>> I am delighted to announce the release of virtio-fs v0.3, a shared file
>>> system that lets virtual machines access a directory tree on the host.
>>> This release is based on QEMU 4.1.0 and Linux 5.3-rc3.
>>>
>> Good news! As virtio-fs is maturing and stabilizing, what's the plan for
>> upstreaming both qemu and kernel part of it?
>
> We're working on that.
> A few days ago I sent the core qemu code to qemu-devel marked as
> experiemental;  Vivek is planning on sending another kernel version out.

Cool. Looking forward to seeing them in upstream code base;)

Cheers,
Tao

--
Into something rich and strange.