radiotap.netbsd.org archive mirror
* WiMAX extensions
@ 2007-05-09  6:23 Charles Clancy
       [not found] ` <50721.65.74.1.247.1178691838.squirrel-2RFepEojUI1Vf4MZnIYnAze48wsgrGvP@public.gmane.org>
From: Charles Clancy @ 2007-05-09  6:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: radiotap-rN9S6JXhQ+WXmMXjJBpWqg

What does the list think about adding WiMAX (IEEE 802.16) fields to the
Radiotap header?  While the name is relatively generic, implying any sort
of radio, so far it's very WiFi-centric.

I recently had a pcap DLT allocated for WiMAX+Radiotap, so I'd like the
Radiotap extensions to be relatively universal.

I can put together a list of fields that it would be good to define, if
the list thinks this is an appropriate use for Radiotap.

Thanks!

--
t. charles clancy, ph.d.  <>  tcc-e45ueOrobK4@public.gmane.org  <>  www.cs.umd.edu/~clancy

* Re: WiMAX extensions
       [not found] ` <50721.65.74.1.247.1178691838.squirrel-2RFepEojUI1Vf4MZnIYnAze48wsgrGvP@public.gmane.org>
@ 2007-05-13  3:32   ` David Young
       [not found]     ` <20070513033218.GL20770-eZ+MEZF6i8Dc+919tysfdA@public.gmane.org>
From: David Young @ 2007-05-13  3:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: radiotap-rN9S6JXhQ+WXmMXjJBpWqg

On Wed, May 09, 2007 at 02:23:58AM -0400, Charles Clancy wrote:
> What does the list think about adding WiMAX (IEEE 802.16) fields to the
> Radiotap header?  While the name is relatively generic, implying any sort
> of radio, so far it's very WiFi-centric.

Sounds ok to me.

> I can put together a list of fields that it would be good to define, if
> the list thinks this is an appropriate use for Radiotap.

Yes, please.

Dave

dyoung-eZodSLrBbDpBDgjK7y7TUQ@public.gmane.org      Urbana, IL * (217) 278-3933

* Re: WiMAX extensions
       [not found]     ` <20070513033218.GL20770-eZ+MEZF6i8Dc+919tysfdA@public.gmane.org>
@ 2007-05-28 17:34       ` Charles Clancy
       [not found]         ` <465B128D.9070904-VX+DGZyGJwM3uPMLIKxrzw@public.gmane.org>
From: Charles Clancy @ 2007-05-28 17:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: radiotap-rN9S6JXhQ+WXmMXjJBpWqg

David Young wrote:
>> I can put together a list of fields that it would be good to define, if
>> the list thinks this is an appropriate use for Radiotap.
>
> Yes, please.

There would certainly be overlap with 802.11.  However most
implementations I've seen seem to prefix the fields with IEEE80211_, so
I'd think these would all need to be replicated for 802.16.  I'm not
sure the best way to handle it.

In general, 802.16 is much more stateful than 802.11, so much less of
the basic packet/network metadata is available in the headers.
Consequently, there are more things that would be useful to see in the
radiotap header.

Suggested new fields:
- TDD or FDD network
- uplink or downlink
- received frequency (in kHz, MHz is not specific enough)
- BSID (unlike 802.11, this is not in the MAC-CPS)
- whether the PDU contains a CRC32 at the end
- whether the PDU is encrypted
- UIUC or DIUC for the PDU, and associated modulation/coding

--

@ 2007-05-28 17:41           ` Guy Harris
       [not found]             ` <465B144F.2070403-FrUbXkNCsVf2fBVCVOL8/A@public.gmane.org>
From: Guy Harris @ 2007-05-28 17:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: radiotap-rN9S6JXhQ+WXmMXjJBpWqg

Charles Clancy wrote:

> There would certainly be overlap with 802.11.  However most
> implementations I've seen seem to prefix the fields with IEEE80211_, so
> I'd think these would all need to be replicated for 802.16.  I'm not
> sure the best way to handle it.

Replicated, or renamed, with the old names kept around for source
compatibility - or with IEEE80211_ and IEEE80216_ names for the same value?

* Re: WiMAX extensions
       [not found]             ` <465B144F.2070403-FrUbXkNCsVf2fBVCVOL8/A@public.gmane.org>
@ 2007-05-28 17:58               ` Charles Clancy
       [not found]                 ` <465B184C.1000306-VX+DGZyGJwM3uPMLIKxrzw@public.gmane.org>
From: Charles Clancy @ 2007-05-28 17:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: radiotap-rN9S6JXhQ+WXmMXjJBpWqg

Guy Harris wrote:
>> There would certainly be overlap with 802.11.  However most
>> implementations I've seen seem to prefix the fields with IEEE80211_,
>> so I'd think these would all need to be replicated for 802.16.  I'm
>> not sure the best way to handle it.
>
> Replicated, or renamed, with the old names kept around for source
> compatibility - or with IEEE80211_ and IEEE80216_ names for the same value?

Ideally, I'd think renaming fields that apply to any wireless standard
would be best, keeping around the old values for compatibility, of
course.  Then there could be protocol-specific fields for each standard.

I think the following would be globally useful:

IEEE80211_RADIOTAP_TSFT
IEEE80211_RADIOTAP_RATE
IEEE80211_RADIOTAP_DB*
IEEE80211_RADIOTAP_ANTENNA
IEEE80211_RADIOTAP_FLAGS (though you might need a general flag set and a
protocol-specific flag set)

Is Radiotap meant to be used on outgoing packets as well?  If so, there
are a variety of outgoing packet fields that might also be useful.

--

@ 2007-05-28 18:00               ` Johannes Berg
From: Johannes Berg @ 2007-05-28 18:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Guy Harris; +Cc: radiotap-rN9S6JXhQ+WXmMXjJBpWqg

On Mon, 2007-05-28 at 10:41 -0700, Guy Harris wrote:
> Charles Clancy wrote:
>
> > There would certainly be overlap with 802.11.  However most
> > implementations I've seen seem to prefix the fields with IEEE80211_, so
> > I'd think these would all need to be replicated for 802.16.  I'm not
> > sure the best way to handle it.
>
> Replicated, or renamed, with the old names kept around for source
> compatibility - or with IEEE80211_ and IEEE80216_ names for the same value?

I'd rather see them renamed to something that doesn't carry the 802
number, more use cases might come up.

johannes

* Re: WiMAX extensions
       [not found]                 ` <465B184C.1000306-VX+DGZyGJwM3uPMLIKxrzw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2007-05-28 18:01                   ` Johannes Berg
From: Johannes Berg @ 2007-05-28 18:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Charles Clancy; +Cc: radiotap-rN9S6JXhQ+WXmMXjJBpWqg

On Mon, 2007-05-28 at 13:58 -0400, Charles Clancy wrote:

> Is Radiotap meant to be used on outgoing packets as well?  If so, there
> are a variety of outgoing packet fields that might also be useful.

I think it wasn't meant to originally, but in Linux we are going to do
that.

johannes

* Re: WiMAX extensions
       [not found]                 ` <465B184C.1000306-VX+DGZyGJwM3uPMLIKxrzw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2007-05-28 18:15                   ` David Young
From: David Young @ 2007-05-28 18:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: radiotap-rN9S6JXhQ+WXmMXjJBpWqg

On Mon, May 28, 2007 at 01:58:36PM -0400, Charles Clancy wrote:
> Guy Harris wrote:
> >>There would certainly be overlap with 802.11.  However most
> >>implementations I've seen seem to prefix the fields with IEEE80211_,
> >>so I'd think these would all need to be replicated for 802.16.  I'm
> >>not sure the best way to handle it.
> >
> >Replicated, or renamed, with the old names kept around for source
> >compatibility - or with IEEE80211_ and IEEE80216_ names for the same value?
>
> Ideally, I'd think renaming fields that apply to any wireless standard
> would be best, keeping around the old values for compatibility, of
> course.  Then there could be protocol-specific fields for each standard.
>
> I think the following would be globally useful:
>
> IEEE80211_RADIOTAP_TSFT
> IEEE80211_RADIOTAP_RATE
> IEEE80211_RADIOTAP_DB*
> IEEE80211_RADIOTAP_ANTENNA
> IEEE80211_RADIOTAP_FLAGS (though you might need a general flag set and a
> protocol-specific flag set)
>
> Is Radiotap meant to be used on outgoing packets as well?  If so, there
> are a variety of outgoing packet fields that might also be useful.

I am going to use radiotap for that.  I believe someone has already done
it.  I have some funding and a plan to add to NetBSD both socket options
and packet ancillary data for sending/receiving packets with radiotap.
I will be bringing proposals to the list in the next few months.

Dave

dyoung-eZodSLrBbDpBDgjK7y7TUQ@public.gmane.org      Urbana, IL * (217) 278-3933 ext 24

* Re: WiMAX extensions
       [not found]                 ` <465B184C.1000306-VX+DGZyGJwM3uPMLIKxrzw@public.gmane.org>
@ 2007-06-24  5:28                   ` David Young
From: David Young @ 2007-06-24  5:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: radiotap-rN9S6JXhQ+WXmMXjJBpWqg

On Mon, May 28, 2007 at 01:58:36PM -0400, Charles Clancy wrote:
> Guy Harris wrote:
> >>There would certainly be overlap with 802.11.  However most
> >>implementations I've seen seem to prefix the fields with IEEE80211_,
> >>so I'd think these would all need to be replicated for 802.16.  I'm
> >>not sure the best way to handle it.
> >
> >Replicated, or renamed, with the old names kept around for source
> >compatibility - or with IEEE80211_ and IEEE80216_ names for the same value?
>
> Ideally, I'd think renaming fields that apply to any wireless standard
> would be best, keeping around the old values for compatibility, of
> course.  Then there could be protocol-specific fields for each standard.

I think that what you mean is, for the fields that WiMax and WiFi
have in common, add a generic alias---e.g., IEEE80211_RADIOTAP_RATE =
RADIOTAP_RATE, but do not assign new presence bits for common fields.

That sounds ok to me.

> I think the following would be globally useful:
>
> IEEE80211_RADIOTAP_TSFT
> IEEE80211_RADIOTAP_RATE
> IEEE80211_RADIOTAP_DB*
> IEEE80211_RADIOTAP_ANTENNA

All of those fields have specific definitions.  Do they apply equally
well to WiMax?

> IEEE80211_RADIOTAP_FLAGS (though you might need a general flag set and a
> protocol-specific flag set)

Sure.  The flags have almost run out, though. :-)

@ 2007-06-27 23:45           ` Guy Harris
       [not found]             ` <2A4D4978-D308-40EA-89D5-A2304A5947C7-FrUbXkNCsVf2fBVCVOL8/A@public.gmane.org>
From: Guy Harris @ 2007-06-27 23:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: radiotap-rN9S6JXhQ+WXmMXjJBpWqg

On May 28, 2007, at 10:34 AM, Charles Clancy wrote:

> Suggested new fields:

> - received frequency (in kHz, MHz is not specific enough)

So that'd be an alternative to IEEE80211_RADIOTAP_CHANNEL and
IEEE80211_RADIOTAP_XCHANNEL, both of which give the frequency in MHz?

(BTW, the current FreeBSD ieee80211_radiotap.h defines
IEEE80211_RADIOTAP_XCHANNEL as 14 and the current NetBSD
ieee80211_radiotap.h defines IEEE80211_RADIOTAP_RX_FLAGS as 14.
Hopefully one or the other of those is *NOT* currently being used, as
that means that tcpdump, Wireshark, etc. can't handle a property with
a code of 14 *AND*, at least as I understand the way radiotap works,
can't handle anything after 14, either, as they don't know how long
that property is.  NetBSD and OpenBSD also collide on the value of 14,
as well as values after it.)

> - whether the PDU contains a CRC32 at the end

There's already a flag for that in the IEEE80211_RADIOTAP_FLAGS field
- IEEE80211_RADIOTAP_F_FCS.

> - whether the PDU is encrypted

There's a IEEE80211_RADIOTAP_F_WEP flag; should that become a "send
with encryption" flag?  (What about WPA?)

Does "encrypted" here mean whether the frame contents are encrypted as
delivered to the application, or whether the frame was encrypted when
sent on the air?  (For 802.11, I think there are some cases where the
adapter+driver deliver decrypted frames with the "encrypted" bit set
in the header, which is why Wireshark has an option to ignore that bit.)

* Re: WiMAX extensions
       [not found]             ` <2A4D4978-D308-40EA-89D5-A2304A5947C7-FrUbXkNCsVf2fBVCVOL8/A@public.gmane.org>
@ 2007-06-28  1:10               ` David Young
From: David Young @ 2007-06-28  1:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: radiotap-rN9S6JXhQ+WXmMXjJBpWqg

On Wed, Jun 27, 2007 at 04:45:04PM -0700, Guy Harris wrote:

> On May 28, 2007, at 10:34 AM, Charles Clancy wrote:
>
> >Suggested new fields:

> >- received frequency (in kHz, MHz is not specific enough)
>
> So that'd be an alternative to IEEE80211_RADIOTAP_CHANNEL and
> IEEE80211_RADIOTAP_XCHANNEL, both of which give the frequency in MHz?
>
> (BTW, the current FreeBSD ieee80211_radiotap.h defines
> IEEE80211_RADIOTAP_XCHANNEL as 14 and the current NetBSD
> ieee80211_radiotap.h defines IEEE80211_RADIOTAP_RX_FLAGS as 14.
> Hopefully one or the other of those is *NOT* currently being used, as
> that means that tcpdump, Wireshark, etc. can't handle a property with
> a code of 14 *AND*, at least as I understand the way radiotap works,
> can't handle anything after 14, either, as they don't know how long
> that property is.  NetBSD and OpenBSD also collide on the value of 14,
> as well as values after it.)

Guy, your understanding is correct.  The divergence is not good for
anyone.  The responsible people in OpenBSD and FreeBSD should bring
proposals to the list in order to get presence bits assigned.