rcu.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
* Question about list_sort() RCU version.
@ 2020-06-16 20:17 Chaitanya Kulkarni
From: Chaitanya Kulkarni @ 2020-06-16 20:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: paulmck, Josh Triplett; +Cc: rcu, rostedt, mathieu.desnoyers, jiangshanlai

Hi RCU maintainers and experts,

I'm working on a linux kernel upstream project which is in the tree.
With the POC I can already see that significant performance improvement
with RCU in the fast path which are replacing rw semaphore, but not
having list_sort() rcu variant is blocking the developement and getting
code upstream.

I was not able to find the such helper implemented for the RCU flavor of
list.

Can someone provide information about :-

1. Is there any plan to have list_sort_rcu() ? if so when can we expect
    that ? (Also how can I help ?)

2. In case there is no plan what are design considerations if someone
    wants to implement the code and submit it upstream ?
    (Also how can I help here ?

Regards,
-CK

* Re: Question about list_sort() RCU version.
@ 2020-06-16 20:24 ` Mathieu Desnoyers
From: Mathieu Desnoyers @ 2020-06-16 20:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chaitanya Kulkarni; +Cc: paulmck, Josh Triplett, rcu, rostedt, Lai Jiangshan

----- On Jun 16, 2020, at 4:17 PM, Chaitanya Kulkarni Chaitanya.Kulkarni@wdc.com wrote:

> Hi RCU maintainers and experts,
>
> I'm working on a linux kernel upstream project which is in the tree.
> With the POC I can already see that significant performance improvement
> with RCU in the fast path which are replacing rw semaphore, but not
> having list_sort() rcu variant is blocking the developement and getting
> code upstream.

Why do you need list_sort() ? Is there any way you could simply insert your
new elements into the list in already-sorted order ? This would ensure that
the list is always in a sorted state, which I suspect will be expected by
RCU readers.

Thanks,

Mathieu

--
Mathieu Desnoyers
EfficiOS Inc.

* Re: Question about list_sort() RCU version.
@ 2020-06-16 20:45   ` Chaitanya Kulkarni
From: Chaitanya Kulkarni @ 2020-06-16 20:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mathieu Desnoyers; +Cc: paulmck, Josh Triplett, rcu, rostedt, Lai Jiangshan

On 6/16/20 1:24 PM, Mathieu Desnoyers wrote:
> ----- On Jun 16, 2020, at 4:17 PM, Chaitanya Kulkarni Chaitanya.Kulkarni@wdc.com wrote:
>
>> Hi RCU maintainers and experts,
>>
>> I'm working on a linux kernel upstream project which is in the tree.
>> With the POC I can already see that significant performance improvement
>> with RCU in the fast path which are replacing rw semaphore, but not
>> having list_sort() rcu variant is blocking the developement and getting
>> code upstream.
>
> Why do you need list_sort() ? Is there any way you could simply insert your
> new elements into the list in already-sorted order ? This would ensure that
> the list is always in a sorted state, which I suspect will be expected by
> RCU readers.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Mathieu

It is not expected to be in the order by the readers in this case.

For the list to be populated in sorted order it needs to be traversed
every time in the fast-path which is costly based on the current design,
so we add it to the tail and sort it later in the work-queue context
when it is actually needed after we complete the scan. The sorting also
takes care of the stale entries. (kind of entangled).

Changing the design is always the last options, I'm trying to port
the code without having to do that so future users also can user the
RCU list_sort() version, unless having this absolutely not makes any
sense.

@ 2020-06-16 21:47 ` Steven Rostedt
From: Steven Rostedt @ 2020-06-16 21:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chaitanya Kulkarni
  Cc: paulmck, Josh Triplett, rcu, mathieu.desnoyers, jiangshanlai

On Tue, 16 Jun 2020 20:17:56 +0000
Chaitanya Kulkarni <Chaitanya.Kulkarni@wdc.com> wrote:

> Hi RCU maintainers and experts,
>
> I'm working on a linux kernel upstream project which is in the tree.
> With the POC I can already see that significant performance improvement
> with RCU in the fast path which are replacing rw semaphore, but not
> having list_sort() rcu variant is blocking the developement and getting
> code upstream.
>
> I was not able to find the such helper implemented for the RCU flavor of
> list.
>
> Can someone provide information about :-
>
> 1. Is there any plan to have list_sort_rcu() ? if so when can we expect
>     that ? (Also how can I help ?)

I'm pretty sure there isn't any plan.

> 2. In case there is no plan what are design considerations if someone
>     wants to implement the code and submit it upstream ?
>     (Also how can I help here ?

Good luck! For RCU to work, you basically need two states where both
are "valid" for a time. You have an initial state, and then you have
the state you want to get to. In the transition period, readers will
see one of either those states, until the last reader is finished with
the initial state, all new readers will only see the second state after
a quiescent point in time.

To sort a list, you will need to modify it in such a case that the list
is valid for all readers. This requires moving a list item. The problem
is, this will require two modifications, where the list will not be
valid in between. How would you move an item where the list is valid
for ever change? Say you want to move the last element up. To do so,
you need to remove the pointer to that element, make another element
point to it, and in the mean time you need to update that last
element's pointer as well. You can't do all that at once, and doing any
of those without the other two will make the list invalid.

One answer is to make a copy of the entire list, sort it, and then make
it the new list. That's the only way I can see this work.

-- Steve

* Re: Question about list_sort() RCU version.
@ 2020-06-16 22:26   ` Chaitanya Kulkarni
From: Chaitanya Kulkarni @ 2020-06-16 22:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Steven Rostedt
  Cc: paulmck, Josh Triplett, rcu, mathieu.desnoyers, jiangshanlai

On 6/16/20 2:48 PM, Steven Rostedt wrote:
> On Tue, 16 Jun 2020 20:17:56 +0000
> Chaitanya Kulkarni <Chaitanya.Kulkarni@wdc.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi RCU maintainers and experts,
>>
>> I'm working on a linux kernel upstream project which is in the tree.
>> With the POC I can already see that significant performance improvement
>> with RCU in the fast path which are replacing rw semaphore, but not
>> having list_sort() rcu variant is blocking the developement and getting
>> code upstream.
>>
>> I was not able to find the such helper implemented for the RCU flavor of
>> list.
>>
>> Can someone provide information about :-
>>
>> 1. Is there any plan to have list_sort_rcu() ? if so when can we expect
>>      that ? (Also how can I help ?)
>
> I'm pretty sure there isn't any plan.
>

>> 2. In case there is no plan what are design considerations if someone
>>      wants to implement the code and submit it upstream ?
>>      (Also how can I help here ?
>>

> Good luck! For RCU to work, you basically need two states where both
> are "valid" for a time. You have an initial state, and then you have
> the state you want to get to. In the transition period, readers will
> see one of either those states, until the last reader is finished with
> the initial state, all new readers will only see the second state after
> a quiescent point in time.
>
> To sort a list, you will need to modify it in such a case that the list
> is valid for all readers. This requires moving a list item. The problem
> is, this will require two modifications, where the list will not be
> valid in between. How would you move an item where the list is valid
> for ever change? Say you want to move the last element up. To do so,
> you need to remove the pointer to that element, make another element
> point to it, and in the mean time you need to update that last
> element's pointer as well. You can't do all that at once, and doing any
> of those without the other two will make the list invalid.
>
> One answer is to make a copy of the entire list, sort it, and then make
> it the new list. That's the only way I can see this work.
>
> -- Steve

Thanks a lot for the reply and detailed explanation, it doesn't make
sense to go thorough all the development effort and make it generic for
one use case.

* Re: Question about list_sort() RCU version.
@ 2020-06-16 22:29   ` Paul E. McKenney
From: Paul E. McKenney @ 2020-06-16 22:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Steven Rostedt
  Cc: Chaitanya Kulkarni, Josh Triplett, rcu, mathieu.desnoyers, jiangshanlai

On Tue, Jun 16, 2020 at 05:47:56PM -0400, Steven Rostedt wrote:
> On Tue, 16 Jun 2020 20:17:56 +0000
> Chaitanya Kulkarni <Chaitanya.Kulkarni@wdc.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi RCU maintainers and experts,
> >
> > I'm working on a linux kernel upstream project which is in the tree.
> > With the POC I can already see that significant performance improvement
> > with RCU in the fast path which are replacing rw semaphore, but not
> > having list_sort() rcu variant is blocking the developement and getting
> > code upstream.
> >
> > I was not able to find the such helper implemented for the RCU flavor of
> > list.
> >
> > Can someone provide information about :-
> >
> > 1. Is there any plan to have list_sort_rcu() ? if so when can we expect
> >     that ? (Also how can I help ?)
>
> I'm pretty sure there isn't any plan.
>

> > 2. In case there is no plan what are design considerations if someone
> >     wants to implement the code and submit it upstream ?
> >     (Also how can I help here ?
> >

> Good luck! For RCU to work, you basically need two states where both
> are "valid" for a time. You have an initial state, and then you have
> the state you want to get to. In the transition period, readers will
> see one of either those states, until the last reader is finished with
> the initial state, all new readers will only see the second state after
> a quiescent point in time.
>
> To sort a list, you will need to modify it in such a case that the list
> is valid for all readers. This requires moving a list item. The problem
> is, this will require two modifications, where the list will not be
> valid in between. How would you move an item where the list is valid
> for ever change? Say you want to move the last element up. To do so,
> you need to remove the pointer to that element, make another element
> point to it, and in the mean time you need to update that last
> element's pointer as well. You can't do all that at once, and doing any
> of those without the other two will make the list invalid.
>
> One answer is to make a copy of the entire list, sort it, and then make
> it the new list. That's the only way I can see this work.

If you want things sorted, why not a search tree?  Or, depending on the
purpose of the sorting, a hash table?

It actually is kind-of sort-of possible to do an in-place sort of a
linked list in the presence of readers, but the simpler ways of doing
this are not at all pretty.  Or efficient while the sort is in progress.

o	Find the largest element in the yet-to-be-sorted portion of
	the list.  Pull that largest element to the front of the list
	as follows:

	o	Set its ->next pointer to reference the first
		element of the list.  (Yes, the list is now
		looped, and readers looking for later elements
		will follow that loop.  Readers must do loop
		detection, and restart their traversal after
		momentarily exiting their read-side critical
		sections.)

	o	Set the header pointer to reference the element
		being moved.  The list is still looped.

	o	Wait for a grace period.  This is why looping
		readers must momentarily exit their read-side
		critical sections.

	o	Make the moved item's predecessor point to the
		moved item's successor.

o	Repeat until the list is sorted.

Another approach is similar to Steven's suggestion, but uses a
separate set of pointers to do the sorting, then switches the
readers to the sorted set.  This allows better sorting algorithms
to be used.

But why not just insert each element into its proper place in the list
to start with?  If the list is too long for this to be efficient, you
most likely should be using some other data structure.

						Thanx, Paul

* Re: Question about list_sort() RCU version.
@ 2020-06-16 23:21     ` Chaitanya Kulkarni
From: Chaitanya Kulkarni @ 2020-06-16 23:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: paulmck, Steven Rostedt
  Cc: Josh Triplett, rcu, mathieu.desnoyers, jiangshanlai

On 6/16/20 3:29 PM, Paul E. McKenney wrote:
> If you want things sorted, why not a search tree?  Or, depending on the
> purpose of the sorting, a hash table?
That was my first question but the way code is written right not which
uses linked list and then it calls list_sort() which is not a ideal data
structure to start with.

> It actually is kind-of sort-of possible to do an in-place sort of a
> linked list in the presence of readers, but the simpler ways of doing
> this are not at all pretty.  Or efficient while the sort is in progress.

That is what I felt after reading a code and I'm not an expert in this
area.
> o	Find the largest element in the yet-to-be-sorted portion of
> 	the list.  Pull that largest element to the front of the list
> 	as follows:
>
> 	o	Set its ->next pointer to reference the first
> 		element of the list.  (Yes, the list is now
> 		looped, and readers looking for later elements
> 		will follow that loop.  Readers must do loop
> 		detection, and restart their traversal after
> 		momentarily exiting their read-side critical
> 		sections.)
>
> 	o	Set the header pointer to reference the element
> 		being moved.  The list is still looped.
>
> 	o	Wait for a grace period.  This is why looping
> 		readers must momentarily exit their read-side
> 		critical sections.
>
> 	o	Make the moved item's predecessor point to the
> 		moved item's successor.
>
> o	Repeat until the list is sorted.
>
> Another approach is similar to Steven's suggestion, but uses a
> separate set of pointers to do the sorting, then switches the
> readers to the sorted set.  This allows better sorting algorithms
> to be used.

This is the most easy approach with high memory usage.

> But why not just insert each element into its proper place in the list
> to start with?  If the list is too long for this to be efficient, you
> most likely should be using some other data structure.

Agree, again not my design, and after these emails I do have questions
on the data structure since with an efficient data structure set of the
items are also be cached that will furthermore improve the performance
given that size of the ids is cacheline friendly.

> 						Thanx, Paul

Thanks again everyone for replying promptly and in detailed manner.