regressions.lists.linux.dev archive mirror
* Found a bug with my gaming gear
@ 2023-11-16 22:41 André Kunz
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: André Kunz @ 2023-11-16 22:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: stable; +Cc: regressions

Hey there guys,

This is my first kernel "bug" report ever, so please bear with me if I
didn't catch the precise right way to report this.

The bug I've found:

I'm running stable kernel 6.6.1-1 and as soon as I install it, many of
my mouse's hardware buttons stop working. I have a Logitech G502 X Plus
(it's a wireless mouse). As soon as I install 6.6.1 the mouse's hardware
buttons won't work, i.e. only the two side-buttons would work, not the
buttons (and/or my created profiles/macros) would. I have a few macros
assigned to some buttons, which work perfectly fine under 6.5.11 (and
earlier), but as soon as I'm on 6.6 they'd stop working.

Just wanted to report this and I hope there can be a fix.

I hope this email was not too much out of the ordinary.

Have a great evening guys!

Best,
André

* Re: Found a bug with my gaming gear
@ 2023-11-17 13:49 ` Greg KH
From: Greg KH @ 2023-11-17 13:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: André Kunz; +Cc: stable, regressions, linux-input

On Thu, Nov 16, 2023 at 11:41:34PM +0100, André Kunz wrote:
> Hey there guys,
>
> This is my first kernel "bug" report ever, so please bear with me if I
> didn't catch the precise right way to report this.
>
> The bug I've found:
>
> I'm running stable kernel 6.6.1-1 and as soon as I install it, many of
> my mouse's hardware buttons stop working. I have a Logitech G502 X Plus
> (it's a wireless mouse). As soon as I install 6.6.1 the mouse's hardware
> buttons won't work, i.e. only the two side-buttons would work, not the
> buttons (and/or my created profiles/macros) would. I have a few macros
> assigned to some buttons, which work perfectly fine under 6.5.11 (and
> earlier), but as soon as I'm on 6.6 they'd stop working.
>
> Just wanted to report this and I hope there can be a fix.

You might want to notify the linux-input mailing list, as the developers
there should be able to help you out as they are the ones working on
that portion of the kernel.

I've added them to the cc: here.

thanks,

greg k-h

* Re: Found a bug with my gaming gear
@ 2023-11-17 15:01 ` Hans de Goede
From: Hans de Goede @ 2023-11-17 15:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: André Kunz, stable; +Cc: regressions

Hi André,

On 11/16/23 23:41, André Kunz wrote:
> Hey there guys,
>
> This is my first kernel "bug" report ever, so please bear with me if I
> didn't catch the precise right way to report this.
>
> The bug I've found:
>
> I'm running stable kernel 6.6.1-1 and as soon as I install it, many of
> my mouse's hardware buttons stop working. I have a Logitech G502 X Plus
> (it's a wireless mouse). As soon as I install 6.6.1 the mouse's hardware
> buttons won't work, i.e. only the two side-buttons would work, not the
> buttons (and/or my created profiles/macros) would. I have a few macros
> assigned to some buttons, which work perfectly fine under 6.5.11 (and
> earlier), but as soon as I'm on 6.6 they'd stop working.
>
> Just wanted to report this and I hope there can be a fix.
>
> I hope this email was not too much out of the ordinary.

For starters lets collect some logs and see if that explains
anything.

Can you do the following:

1. Boot the working 6.5.11, wiggle the mouse (so that it connects)
and the run:

dmesg > dmesg-6.5.11.txt

2. Boot the non working 6.6.1, wiggle the mouse and run:

dmesg > dmesg-6.6.1.txt

And then attach both generated dmesg-...txt files to your next email ?

Regards,

Hans

* Re: Found a bug with my gaming gear
@ 2023-11-19 23:15 ` Bagas Sanjaya