rust-for-linux.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
* How rust subsystem handles long symbols of rust function
@ 2021-05-28  5:48 Douglas Su
From: Douglas Su @ 2021-05-28  5:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rust-for-linux

I am recently playing around with the Rust subsystem in Kernel, and
notice that the symbols generated from Rust relevant functions are
longer than normal C counterparts.

If I am not wrong, Kernel imposes symbol length restriction on
functions and variables. So, what efforts have been made to make
Rust's symbols compatible with Kernel's rule?

Sincerely
Douglas

* Re: How rust subsystem handles long symbols of rust function
@ 2021-05-28  9:03 ` Greg KH
From: Greg KH @ 2021-05-28  9:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Douglas Su; +Cc: rust-for-linux

On Fri, May 28, 2021 at 01:48:00PM +0800, Douglas Su wrote:
> I am recently playing around with the Rust subsystem in Kernel, and
> notice that the symbols generated from Rust relevant functions are
> longer than normal C counterparts.
>
> If I am not wrong, Kernel imposes symbol length restriction on
> functions and variables. So, what efforts have been made to make
> Rust's symbols compatible with Kernel's rule?

If you look at the rust kernel patchset, it increases the length of the
kernel symbol length "rules" for this very reason.

thanks,

greg k-h