selinux.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
* SELinux patent issues?
@ 2005-12-13 14:14 Pax Dickinson
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Pax Dickinson @ 2005-12-13 14:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: SELinux List

Hi all,

I saw this comment about SELinux patent issues on Slashdot and was
hoping someone could enlighten me as to whether there's anything to this?

---

SELinux and the Patent Trolls
(Score:2)
by mpapet (761907) <mpapet@@@yahoo...com> on 07:23 PM December 12th,
2005 (#14243004)
(http://www.michaelpapet.com/)
I checked on this a few months ago and found that SELinux may be
patented by the company that appeared to write it for the NSA, the
secure computing corporation.(SCC)

Patents owned by the SCC include:

5,867,647 System and method for securing compiled program code
5,822,435 Trusted path subsystem for workstations
5,796,836 Scalable key agile cryptography
5,596,718 Secure computer network using trusted path subsystem which
encrypts/decrypts and communicates with user through local workstation
user I/O devices without utilizing workstation processor
5,502,766 Data enclave and trusted path system
5,499,297 System and method for trusted path communications
5,276,735 Data enclave and trusted path system
5,272,754 Secure computer interface
6,772,332 System and method for providing secure internetwork services
via an assured pipeline
6,658,571 Security framework for dynamically wrapping software
applications executing in a computing system
6,640,307 System and method for controlling access to documents stored
on an internal network
6,453,419 System and method for implementing a security policy
6,357,010 System and method for controlling access to documents stored
on an internal network
6,332,195 Secure server utilizing separate protocol stacks
6,321,336 System and method for redirecting network traffic to provide
secure communication
6,301,658 Method and system for authenticating digital certificates
issued by an authentication hierarchy
6,219,707 System and method for achieving network separation
6,209,101 Adaptive security system having a hierarchy of security servers
6,182,226 System and method for controlling interactions between networks
6,144,934 Binary filter using pattern recognition
6,072,942 System and method of electronic mail filtering using
interconnected nodes
6,003,084 Secure network proxy for connecting entities
5,983,350 Secure firewall supporting different levels of authentication
based on address or encryption status
5,968,133 Enhanced security network time synchronization device and method
5,950,195 Generalized security policy management system and method
5,918,018 System and method for achieving network separation
5,915,087 Transparent security proxy for unreliable message exchange
protocols
5,913,024 Secure server utilizing separate protocol stacks

My attempts at getting some kind of feedback from the SCC were in vain
because no one called me back.

Does Redhat license this? Will the patent trolls come after me if I
attempt to use it in a commercial OSS way?

Any insight would be great.
---

Thanks, Pax

* Re: SELinux patent issues?
@ 2005-12-13 15:05 ` Tom
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Tom @ 2005-12-13 15:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pax Dickinson; +Cc: SELinux List

On Tue, Dec 13, 2005 at 09:14:04AM -0500, Pax Dickinson wrote:
> I saw this comment about SELinux patent issues on Slashdot and was
> hoping someone could enlighten me as to whether there's anything to this?

That is an extremely old matter that /. apparently just dug up again.
If you search the archives, you will find a very long thread about it,
which essentially concludes with: Don't worry about them, the NSA has
you covered and SCC issued a statement back in, duh I can't
remember, 2003 or 2004.

--
PGP/GPG key: http://web.lemuria.org/pubkey.html
pub  1024D/2D7A04F5 2002-05-16 Tom Vogt <tom@lemuria.org>

* Re: SELinux patent issues?
@ 2005-12-13 15:12 ` Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton
From: Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton @ 2005-12-13 15:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pax Dickinson; +Cc: SELinux List

On Tue, Dec 13, 2005 at 09:14:04AM -0500, Pax Dickinson wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I saw this comment about SELinux patent issues on Slashdot and was
> hoping someone could enlighten me as to whether there's anything to this?

 the last time this was raised (a year ago), stephen answered
 basically implying that the issue would not arise.

 l.

* Re: SELinux patent issues?
@ 2005-12-13 15:16 ` Stephen Smalley
From: Stephen Smalley @ 2005-12-13 15:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pax Dickinson; +Cc: SELinux List

On Tue, 2005-12-13 at 09:14 -0500, Pax Dickinson wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I saw this comment about SELinux patent issues on Slashdot and was
> hoping someone could enlighten me as to whether there's anything to this?

See:
http://www.nsa.gov/selinux/info/faq.cfm#I22
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=selinux&m=104506596009834&w=2
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-kernel&m=104506496507929&w=2
http://lists.osdl.org/pipermail/security_sig/2005-February/000131.html
http://lists.osdl.org/pipermail/security_sig/2005-February/000133.html

--
Stephen Smalley
National Security Agency

* Re: SELinux patent issues?
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2005-12-13 15:21 ` Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton
From: Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton @ 2005-12-13 15:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pax Dickinson; +Cc: SELinux List

On Tue, Dec 13, 2005 at 09:14:04AM -0500, Pax Dickinson wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I saw this comment about SELinux patent issues on Slashdot and was
> hoping someone could enlighten me as to whether there's anything to this?

 most of the references i can find are dating back 3 years.

 reminder of nsa's response (but no link to that response)

 http://www.ussg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0502.3/0150.html

 some discussion... numerous...

 http://www.nsa.gov/selinux/list-archive/0208/date.cfm

 again a reference to SCC's "statement of assurance":

 http://lwn.net/Articles/103230/

 http://lwn.net/Articles/2376/