selinux.vger.kernel.org archive mirror
* ANN: Virgil 0.1 released
@ 2005-12-15 16:18 Daniel H. Jones
From: Daniel H. Jones @ 2005-12-15 16:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: selinux

ANNOUNCEMENT

Virgil 0.1 has been released and may be downloaded from:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/sepolicy-virgil/

About Virgil
Virgil is a utility for generating SELinux policy for user domains not
covered by the distributed policy packages. The Virgil GUI allows a
policy creator to select options and identify file system resources,
then generate the desired source policy files.

Purpose
The goal is Virgil is to encourage adoption of SELinux by providing a
relatively simple mechanism for creating policy. In order to achieve
that goal, Virgil hides much of the complexity, and therefore
flexibility, of SELinux. This trade-off makes Virgil unsuitable for
creating "least privilege" policies. Nevertheless, Virgil is capable of
creating useful SELinux policy that will enhance the security of
programs for which no policy currently exists.

For feedback please e-mail sepolicy-virgil-list@lists.sourceforge.net

Dan Jones
IBM Linux Technology Center, Security
hotrats@us.ibm.com

* Re: ANN: Virgil 0.1 released
@ 2005-12-16 14:56 ` Stephen Smalley
From: Stephen Smalley @ 2005-12-16 14:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel H. Jones; +Cc: Yuichi Nakamura, Brian T. Sniffen, SELinux-dev, selinux

On Thu, 2005-12-15 at 10:18 -0600, Daniel H. Jones wrote:
> ANNOUNCEMENT
>
> Virgil 0.1 has been released and may be downloaded from:
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/sepolicy-virgil/
>
> About Virgil
> Virgil is a utility for generating SELinux policy for user domains not
> covered by the distributed policy packages. The Virgil GUI allows a
> policy creator to select options and identify file system resources,
> then generate the desired source policy files.
>
> Purpose
> The goal is Virgil is to encourage adoption of SELinux by providing a
> relatively simple mechanism for creating policy. In order to achieve
> that goal, Virgil hides much of the complexity, and therefore
> flexibility, of SELinux. This trade-off makes Virgil unsuitable for
> creating "least privilege" policies. Nevertheless, Virgil is capable of
> creating useful SELinux policy that will enhance the security of
> programs for which no policy currently exists.
>
> For feedback please e-mail sepolicy-virgil-list@lists.sourceforge.net

Hi,

Could you briefly summarize how you view this tool and work as differing
from:
- the SELinux Policy Editor project (http://seedit.sf.net),
- the MITRE polgen tool (http://www.mitre.org/tech/selinux/),
- the Tresys SEFramework (not yet publically released, but briefly
described in http://tresys.com/selinux/sedev.shtml and presented at last
year's SELinux Symposium

It would be nice to have more synergy among policy
generation/development efforts.

Naturally, your tool will need to deal with the transition to reference
policy and the use of binary/loadable policy modules.

--
Stephen Smalley
National Security Agency

* Re: ANN: Virgil 0.1 released
@ 2005-12-16 17:45   ` Yuichi Nakamura
From: Yuichi Nakamura @ 2005-12-16 17:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen Smalley
  Cc: Daniel H. Jones, Brian T. Sniffen, SELinux-dev, selinux, himainu-ynakam

Stephen Smalley  wrote:
> Could you briefly summarize how you view this tool and work as differing
> from:
> - the SELinux Policy Editor project (http://seedit.sf.net),

I've tried virgil 0.1 and found difference.

Our tool(SELinux Policy Editor) is intended to simplify entire policy,
and its Simplified Poilcy Description(SPDL) language can describe
full policy that works.
However, policy converted from SPDL can not be appended to
existing policy(sample policy, reference policy), because name of types
are completely different.

On the other hand,
It seems that Virgil is intended to generate policy piece, appendable to existing policy.

> Naturally, your tool will need to deal with the transition to reference
> policy and the use of binary/loadable policy modules.
I thinks so too.
The tool will be more useful if it could generate policy module package
directly appendable to existing policy.

---
Yuichi Nakamura
Japan SELinux Users Group(JSELUG)
SELinux Policy Editor:  http://seedit.sourceforge.net/

* Re: ANN: Virgil 0.1 released
@ 2005-12-16 18:15   ` Daniel H. Jones
From: Daniel H. Jones @ 2005-12-16 18:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stephen Smalley, selinux

Stephen Smalley wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-12-15 at 10:18 -0600, Daniel H. Jones wrote:
>
>>ANNOUNCEMENT
>>
>>Virgil 0.1 has been released and may be downloaded from:
>>http://sourceforge.net/projects/sepolicy-virgil/
>>
>>About Virgil
>>Virgil is a utility for generating SELinux policy for user domains not
>>covered by the distributed policy packages. The Virgil GUI allows a
>>policy creator to select options and identify file system resources,
>>then generate the desired source policy files.
>>
>>Purpose
>>The goal is Virgil is to encourage adoption of SELinux by providing a
>>relatively simple mechanism for creating policy. In order to achieve
>>that goal, Virgil hides much of the complexity, and therefore
>>flexibility, of SELinux. This trade-off makes Virgil unsuitable for
>>creating "least privilege" policies. Nevertheless, Virgil is capable of
>>creating useful SELinux policy that will enhance the security of
>>programs for which no policy currently exists.
>>
>>For feedback please e-mail sepolicy-virgil-list@lists.sourceforge.net
>

> Hi,
>
> Could you briefly summarize how you view this tool and work as differing
> from:
> - the SELinux Policy Editor project (http://seedit.sf.net),
> - the MITRE polgen tool (http://www.mitre.org/tech/selinux/),
> - the Tresys SEFramework (not yet publically released, but briefly
> described in http://tresys.com/selinux/sedev.shtml and presented at last
> year's SELinux Symposium
>
> It would be nice to have more synergy among policy
> generation/development efforts.
>
> Naturally, your tool will need to deal with the transition to reference
> policy and the use of binary/loadable policy modules.

Hello,
If I were to create a mission statement for Virgil it would be:
* Provide SELinux policy for user domains that will coexist with
existing shipped policy.

If it helps, I will make some comparisons to the policy tools mentioned
above, but my comments should in no way be taken to imply the existing
tools are deficient. I simply have a different user in mind. My target
user is looking to include their custom domain to the shipped policy,
and do it today.

SELinux Policy Editor (seedit)
This one comes closest to Virgil as far as I could tell from the
documentation. However, this tool seems more suitable for replacement of
the shipped policy, rather than integration. It looks to me like adding
a "deny /blah/blah/blah" in the global domain could cause files to be
relabeled in such a way that the shipped policy is affected.

By contrast, Virgil has the concept of "private" resources. Virgil only
labels/relabels private file system objects which, by definition, are
exclusive to the domain. Access to system (or non-private) resources is
achieved by obtaining the label from the object.

Mitre polgen
The difference here is the top-down versus bottom-up approach. Virgil
(as well as seedit) generate policy based on user specified criteria.
Polgen generates policy based on program behavior (and some
interaction). These are philosophically different approaches.

Tresys SEFramework
The most notable difference here is that Virgil is available as of
yesterday. The SEFramework will no doubt be an industrial strength
solution once it is released. The Tresys efforts are very forward
looking and will change the SELinux policy development/management
landscape. That's a good thing. In the meantime, however, a practical
tool that can extend existing policy and be accessible to Joe Fedora is
good for early SELinux adoption. It should not be construed as a
competing technology.

The reference policy and loadable modules will need to be dealt with ...
naturally.

As always, thanks for your constructive observations and comments.

Dan Jones
IBM Linux Technology Center, Security
512-838-1794 (T/L 678-1794)
hotrats@us.ibm.com

* Re: ANN: Virgil 0.1 released
@ 2005-12-16 18:20     ` Daniel H. Jones
From: Daniel H. Jones @ 2005-12-16 18:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yuichi Nakamura; +Cc: Stephen Smalley, Brian T. Sniffen, SELinux-dev, selinux

Yuichi Nakamura wrote:
> Stephen Smalley  wrote:
>
>>Could you briefly summarize how you view this tool and work as differing
>>from:
>>- the SELinux Policy Editor project (http://seedit.sf.net),
>

> I've tried virgil 0.1 and found difference.
>
> Our tool(SELinux Policy Editor) is intended to simplify entire policy,
> and its Simplified Poilcy Description(SPDL) language can describe
> full policy that works.
> However, policy converted from SPDL can not be appended to
> existing policy(sample policy, reference policy), because name of types
> are completely different.
>
> On the other hand,
> It seems that Virgil is intended to generate policy piece, appendable to existing policy.
>

>>Naturally, your tool will need to deal with the transition to reference
>>policy and the use of binary/loadable policy modules.
>
> I thinks so too.
> The tool will be more useful if it could generate policy module package
> directly appendable to existing policy.
>
> ---
> Yuichi Nakamura
> Japan SELinux Users Group(JSELUG)
> SELinux Policy Editor:  http://seedit.sourceforge.net/

Yes. Thank you Yuichi. I think you have it exactly right. One of the
primary goals of Virgil was to integrate new policy with existing
policy. While the example conf files include policy for httpd, it is not
my intent to replace the shipped policy. Web servers just make very
useful examples.